MinimServer Forum

Full Version: controller cannot see minimServer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I don't know what happened, but recently, in my system, Controller can not see minimServer.

My PC is Win7 64bit. I have Asset UPnP 4, foobar2000 foo_upnp, and minimServer 0.52 running on the PC, all seeing the same song library.

On both iPad and desktop Kinsky (on the same PC with the servers), the Controller can always see the Asset UPnP and foobar2000 upnp.

But both Kinsky on desktop and iPad do not show minimServer. But, once I do a "restart" on minimServer control, then both Kinsky will show minimServer immediately. Then if I close either (or both) Kinsky and start Kinsky again, it won't show minimServer, while another Kinsky can access minimServer fine.

Besides "restart" the minimServer, if I let Kinsky at the "library" page long enough, maybe 10-15mins, then sometimes minimServer will show again.
(15-08-2012 09:05)psme Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know what happened, but recently, in my system, Controller can not see minimServer.

My PC is Win7 64bit. I have Asset UPnP 4, foobar2000 foo_upnp, and minimServer 0.52 running on the PC, all seeing the same song library.

On both iPad and desktop Kinsky (on the same PC with the servers), the Controller can always see the Asset UPnP and foobar2000 upnp.

But both Kinsky on desktop and iPad do not show minimServer. But, once I do a "restart" on minimServer control, then both Kinsky will show minimServer immediately. Then if I close either (or both) Kinsky and start Kinsky again, it won't show minimServer, while another Kinsky can access minimServer fine.

Besides "restart" the minimServer, if I let Kinsky at the "library" page long enough, maybe 10-15mins, then sometimes minimServer will show again.

This is a problem with multicast SSDP messages not being delivered by your network. I spent several months tracking this down and fixing it on my network.

When you restart MinimServer, it sends out an SSDP multicast 'alive' message. This message is being received correctly by Kinsky. This indicates that your PC is able to send multicast messages.

When you close Kinsky and start it again, Kinsky sends out an SSDP multicast M-SEARCH message, and MinimServer should respond with a unicast message. Because Kinsky doesn't get this response, this indicates that your PC isn't able to receive multicast messages.

MinimServer sends out repeated SSDP 'alive' messages at approximately 15-minute intervals. This explains why MinimServer appears in the Kinsky Library page some time later.

Is your PC connected to the network by a wireless network adapter, a wired network adapter, or both? If it is both, which adapter is configured for Kinsky on your PC?

If you're using a wireless network and it isn't set up correctly for IGMP snooping, this can cause SSDP multicast messages not to be delivered.

If your PC is connected to the network by a wireless adapter, try disabling and re-enabling this adapter, or disconnecting from and reconnecting to your wireless network. This is likely to get things working properly for a while.

Do you by any chance get this problem after suspending and resuming your PC? I had this issue and I tracked it down to a problem with the driver for my Intel wireless network adapter. If this is related to your problem, I have some software that might help you solve this.
But I couldn't understand why this problem only affect minimServer, but not the Asset UPnP and foobar2000 upnp on the same PC!

And even running desktop Kinsky on the same PC as the server has this problem. Shouldn't there won't be any "network" problem as they are all running on the same PC?

Anyway, will try to do some troubleshooting...
On second thought, maybe Asset UPnP and foobar2000 upnp are sending "alive" message very rapidly (maybe a few second each time?), so that it'd appear Kinsky can show those servers everytime...
I know Asset sends out 'alive' messages very frequently. I'm not sure about foobar2000. The ohNet stack in MinimServer doesn't do this, so it's more sensitive to network multicast problems.
I see, so that explain it! Is that ohNet stack simply couldn't do rapid "alive" message? Or this can be a user adjust option, so that on not-so-ideal network, there can be a workaround on the minimServer side...
sorry for not stating my network config. It's just a old PC (core2duo, 965 chipset I think), with onboard LAN. I think maybe I did had 1 or 2 times suspend to disk sleep. Couldn't remember. Nowadays I rarely reboot my PC.

The problem is both Kinsky and minimServer are on the same PC, and there is still problem! Ok, I'll try reboot...
(15-08-2012 10:33)psme Wrote: [ -> ]sorry for not stating my network config. It's just a old PC (core2duo, 965 chipset I think), with onboard LAN. I think maybe I did had 1 or 2 times suspend to disk sleep. Couldn't remember. Nowadays I rarely reboot my PC.

The problem is both Kinsky and minimServer are on the same PC, and there is still problem! Ok, I'll try reboot...

Is that a wired LAN or a wireless LAN?
(15-08-2012 10:27)psme Wrote: [ -> ]I see, so that explain it! Is that ohNet stack simply couldn't do rapid "alive" message? Or this can be a user adjust option, so that on not-so-ideal network, there can be a workaround on the minimServer side...

I've discussed this with the ohNet developers. In their view, the frequent notifications sent by Asset are a bug in Asset (see this post). I agree with the ohNet developers that ohNet is implementing the UPnP architecture correctly, and I also agree with them that ohNet shouldn't send rapid 'alive' messages as a "hack" to work around other network problems. (The main discussion on the referenced thread was about multicast messages being dropped occasionally by the network, which is a different issue than what you're seeing.)

The right solution is to sort out your network issues so that multicast messages can be received by all your devices. I'm willing to do what I can to help with this.
(15-08-2012 12:00)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(15-08-2012 10:33)psme Wrote: [ -> ]sorry for not stating my network config. It's just a old PC (core2duo, 965 chipset I think), with onboard LAN. I think maybe I did had 1 or 2 times suspend to disk sleep. Couldn't remember. Nowadays I rarely reboot my PC.

Is that a wired LAN or a wireless LAN?

Simple wired LAN. And it's the same single PC, running both server and controller! Why my network "problem" matter in this case? Network (and internet) works fine on my PC in other software!

I'm slightly a geek myself so I can "understand" something maybe wrong in my setup. And I'm willing to deal with it. But if this network playback need to takeoff with average user, something need to be done...

PS: remind myself ranting does not help... Smile
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Reference URL's