MinimServer Forum

Full Version: [Solved]Minimserver not starting automatically on Raspberry Pi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have installed Minimserver on a Raspberry Pi and configured it to start up automatically.

However, Minimserver does not start automatically and I have to do it manually using startd.

Once started that way everything works fine and very stable, but when I reboot I have to restart Minimserver manually.

minimserver.log does not show an attempt to start automatically.

I am using the latest Wheezy distribution (January 2014).
(23-01-2014 09:58)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed Minimserver on a Raspberry Pi and configured it to start up automatically.

However, Minimserver does not start automatically and I have to do it manually using startd.

Once started that way everything works fine and very stable, but when I reboot I have to restart Minimserver manually.

Have you enabled desktop integration? Have you set the Pi to boot into desktop?

If you have configured desktop integration and automatic startup, MinimServer will not start until the desktop is started. This is because starting MinimServer before the desktop is started would prevent MinimServer from showing the minim icon on the desktop if the desktop is started subsequently.
(23-01-2014 10:44)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-01-2014 09:58)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I have installed Minimserver on a Raspberry Pi and configured it to start up automatically.

Have you enabled desktop integration? Have you set the Pi to boot into desktop?

If you have configured desktop integration and automatic startup, MinimServer will not start until the desktop is started. This is because starting MinimServer before the desktop is started would prevent MinimServer from showing the minim icon on the desktop if the desktop is started subsequently.

Hello Simon,

I have not automatic desktop integration. I am controlling the RPi through ssh and it will remain headless.

Guus
(23-01-2014 10:46)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Simon,

I have not automatic desktop integration. I am controlling the RPi through ssh and it will remain headless.

Guus

If you don't have desktop integration, the automatic startup installs a startup/shutdown script as the file

/etc/init.d/minimserver

and uses the update-rc.d command to create the necessary links to this script as the files

/etc/rc0.d/K01minimserver
/etc/rc1.d/K01minimserver
/etc/rc2.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc3.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc4.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc5.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc6.d/K01minimserver

Do you have all these files on your RPi with the correct permissions? If so, please paste the contents of /etc/init.d/minimserver here.
(23-01-2014 12:07)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-01-2014 10:46)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]Hello Simon,

Guus

If you don't have desktop integration, the automatic startup installs a startup/shutdown script as the file

/etc/init.d/minimserver

and uses the update-rc.d command to create the necessary links to this script as the files

/etc/rc0.d/K01minimserver
/etc/rc1.d/K01minimserver
/etc/rc2.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc3.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc4.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc5.d/S01minimserver
/etc/rc6.d/K01minimserver

Do you have all these files on your RPi with the correct permissions? If so, please paste the contents of /etc/init.d/minimserver here.

I have none of the rc@.d files.

The minim server file exists in init.d. Contents below:

#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: MinimServer
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: Start and stop MinimServer
# Description:
### END INIT INFO

case "$1" in
start)
su "pi" -c "/home/pi/minimserver/minimserver-0.8.1/bin/startd"
;;
stop)
while :
do
PID="$(ps -ef | grep m"${ws}"\.jar | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}$
if [ "${PID}" = "" ]; then
break
fi
kill ${PID}
done
;;
*)
echo "Usage: $0 start|stop" 1>&2
exit 3
;;
esac
(23-01-2014 12:36)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I have none of the rc@.d files.

The contents of this file aren't correct. You said you are running wheezy. Is this the same as Raspbian, or something different? How/where did you obtain the wheezy image that you are running?
(23-01-2014 13:08)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]
(23-01-2014 12:36)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]I have none of the rc@.d files.

The contents of this file aren't correct. You said you are running wheezy. Is this the same as Raspbian, or something different? How/where did you obtain the wheezy image that you are running?

It's Raspbian Wheezy from the http://www.raspberrypi.org web site (downloads page):

Raspbian
logo
Image 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian.zip
Torrent 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent
SHA-1 Checksum 9d0afbf932ec22e3c29d793693f58b0406bcab86
Default login pi / raspberry
Description A community-created port of Debian wheezy, optimised for the Raspberry Pi
Release Date 2014-01-07
Version wheezy
Kernel 3.10
URL Link
Release Notes release_notes.txt
(23-01-2014 16:17)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]It's Raspbian Wheezy from the http://www.raspberrypi.org web site (downloads page):

Raspbian
logo
Image 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian.zip
Torrent 2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian.zip.torrent
SHA-1 Checksum 9d0afbf932ec22e3c29d793693f58b0406bcab86
Default login pi / raspberry
Description A community-created port of Debian wheezy, optimised for the Raspberry Pi
Release Date 2014-01-07
Version wheezy
Kernel 3.10
URL Link
Release Notes release_notes.txt

Thanks for this. One more question: how did you set up the automatic startup? Did you exactly follow the installation instructions, including running minimserver/bin/setup from the /home/pi directory?
(23-01-2014 16:27)simoncn Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this. One more question: how did you set up the automatic startup? Did you exactly follow the installation instructions, including running minimserver/bin/setup from the /home/pi directory?

Yes, this is what I did. I tried it several times after it did not seem to work.
(23-01-2014 16:49)guussie Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, this is what I did. I tried it several times after it did not seem to work.

I will try a fresh installation of this image on a spare SD card, then use the same steps to configure automatic startup. I'll let you know what happens.
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's