MinimServer Forum

Full Version: minimwatch not loading
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Minimserver seems to be working fine on a DS214Play. I installed minimwatch on a WinXP laptop. The installation worked fine but clicking the icon just does not give anything: the cursor blinks a few times and that's all.

I think that the problem comes from my laptop. I installed Twonky 3 years ago and then uninstalled it a few days later since it did not seem to work. I have been unable to install any similar software ever since. In 2011, I tried Mezzmo and worked a long time with their support without finding the cause of the problem (loading but crashing immediately after).

My guess is that the initial Twonky installation probably corrupted some registry entries but I have no ideas where to look for and how to deal with that. Any ideas would be welcome.
(07-01-2014 04:37)jdm Wrote: [ -> ]Minimserver seems to be working fine on a DS214Play. I installed minimwatch on a WinXP laptop. The installation worked fine but clicking the icon just does not give anything: the cursor blinks a few times and that's all.

I think that the problem comes from my laptop. I installed Twonky 3 years ago and then uninstalled it a few days later since it did not seem to work. I have been unable to install any similar software ever since. In 2011, I tried Mezzmo and worked a long time with their support without finding the cause of the problem (loading but crashing immediately after).

My guess is that the initial Twonky installation probably corrupted some registry entries but I have no ideas where to look for and how to deal with that. Any ideas would be welcome.

You need to right-click the minim icon to get the pop-up menu. Have you tried doing that?
The result is the same: nothing.
(07-01-2014 09:28)jdm Wrote: [ -> ]The result is the same: nothing.

Are you referring to clicking the "minims and stave" icon on the desktop, or the "minim note" icon in the system tray?

At first I thought you were referring to the "minim note" icon in the system tray, but after reading your post again I think you might be referring to the "minims and stave" icon on the desktop.

If this desktop icon isn't working, there might be a problem either with your Java installation or with your file association for the .jar extension. This file association should launch the javaw executable. As a first step, you can try uninstalling Java and reinstalling the latest version from the Java download page.
Indeed since MinimWatch is not loading, there is no system tray icon.
I can try reinstalling Java: I have currently Java 7 update 45 (the most recent) version installed. Is this a problem and should I on the contrary install an older version (since this is what is requested for installed MinimServer on the NAS)?
(07-01-2014 04:37)jdm Wrote: [ -> ]My guess is that the initial Twonky installation probably corrupted some registry entries but I have no ideas where to look for and how to deal with that. Any ideas would be welcome.

Cache Cleaner, CCleaner, is a well known and highly rated free utility to clean up and repair stuff on your PC including the registry. See below a review at cnet
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

I have run this successfully on WinXP and Win7 PCs. However you need to make your own mind up if you wish to use it on your PC as there is a risk it may mess things up
(09-01-2014 08:13)jdm Wrote: [ -> ]Indeed since MinimWatch is not loading, there is no system tray icon.
I can try reinstalling Java: I have currently Java 7 update 45 (the most recent) version installed. Is this a problem and should I on the contrary install an older version (since this is what is requested for installed MinimServer on the NAS)?

This version of Java is fine. There is no need for the Java versions on the PC and NAS to match. Can you check whether you have the correct file association for the .jar extension? This information is available in Control Panel > Default Programs. You can also look in Control Panel > Java and use the Java tab to check whether the Java runtime is enabled.

Another thing you can try is to start Task Manager and leave the window open while you double-click the MinimWatch icon. Do you see a new entry for javaw.exe briefly appear and disappear?
(09-01-2014 09:20)Peter@57m Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2014 04:37)jdm Wrote: [ -> ]My guess is that the initial Twonky installation probably corrupted some registry entries but I have no ideas where to look for and how to deal with that. Any ideas would be welcome.

Cache Cleaner, CCleaner, is a well known and highly rated free utility to clean up and repair stuff on your PC including the registry. See below a review at cnet
http://download.cnet.com/CCleaner/

I have run this successfully on WinXP and Win7 PCs. However you need to make your own mind up if you wish to use it on your PC as there is a risk it may mess things up

i have used cccleaner without any success. i even recently manually removed twonky entries from the registry without more success.
File association:
JAR is linked to Executable Jar File

Control Panel > Java
The Java runtime is enabled

Task Manager
I indeed saw jawaw.exe briefly appear and then disappear
(09-01-2014 10:50)jdm Wrote: [ -> ]File association:
JAR is linked to Executable Jar File

Control Panel > Java
The Java runtime is enabled

Task Manager
I indeed saw jawaw.exe briefly appear and then disappear

OK, I think I know what's happening. This problem can be caused by not completely removing all the previous 0.72 MinimWatch jar files when 0.8.1 was installed. This can happen if you didn't exit MinimWatch 0.72 before installing MinimWatch 0.8.1. To fix it, do the following:

1) Uninstall MinimWatch 0.8.1
2) Delete all the files in the C:\Program Files\MinimWatch\lib folder
3) Reinstall MinimWatch 0.8.1
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's