MinimServer Forum

Full Version: USB HDD spindown problem
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been using the previous version on my Raspberry PI so far without the problem, that I am facing now - they could be related to either the new MinimServer version or the Raspbian installation, that I am using right now.
Previously, I have been using a ready to use image of soft wheezy, which had contained Minimserver 0.7x, now I downloaded the NOOB version from raspberry.org and installed Raspbian.

My Western digital 1TB USB HDD is USB-powered (without problems) and spins down/sleeps after 10 minutes of non-usage.
Whenever I was using it with 0.7x, I could come home in the evening (RPi stays on 24/7) and just fire up my UPnP control point and play some music.

Now (after installing the new MinimServer version on the new Raspbian installation), after the spin down MinimServer does not show in my control point anymore, as if MinimServer, too, has decided to stop.

Firing up MinimWatch, it tells me "could not find /media/Music/music", which is the mounted path / share, where my music resides on the USB HDD.

When I choose to restart MinimServer from MinimWatch, it instantly starts to scan the share (I can see that in the log), so it somehow the path to the USB HDD must still be there.... I am a bit confused, why that happens.

I must add, that this NOOB installation already mounted the drive properly by itself, I did not have to execute the manual steps to assign a mount point the the USB-drive from the terminal.

Can anyone jump in, how I can solve this problem? Is it Raspbian-related, or is this something, that comes with the new MinimServer version?

Thanks!
(20-12-2013 19:59)dvdr Wrote: [ -> ]Can anyone jump in, how I can solve this problem? Is it Raspbian-related, or is this something, that comes with the new MinimServer version?

Thanks!

I can't think of any changes in MinimServer 0.8.1 that would cause this.

Where exactly do you see the message "could not find /media/Music/music"? Is this in the log window, or is there a red minim icon showing this message, or something else?
Simon, I can't exactly remember, what color the MinimWatch-Icon had, but when clicking on it, most entries were greyed out, and when hovering with the mouse, this error message was displayed in a little yellow popup window, that it could not find the path...
So all it took was to click on "restart", which was not greyed out, and all was fine: the initial scan was done, and then MinimServer was up and running.

Now, to find the error, I did put my "old" SD-Card with the preinstalled soft float wheezy image into the RPi, fired it up, deleted the old MinimServer installation and installed the 0.8.1 one. I had to use the Linux ARMv5 soft float version, since the Linux ARMv6/v7 hard float version produced errors (something with java exceptions, although I do have a java 7 version installed:
java version "1.7.0_21"
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_21-b11)
Java HotSpot™ Client VM (build 23.21-b01, mixed mode)

Anyway, the ARMv5 soft float version runs smoothly, I did not have any issues even after longer sleep times of the USB HDD.

So I assume, that using the NOOB version of Raspbian might be the key to the problem - or even the fact, that it automatically mounted the USB HDD upon installation without me having to do anything. Could it be, that if I would have had to manually configure those mount point entries in the appropriate configuration files, this would have kind of produced a stable mount-point, that is not influenced by the sleep mode of the USB HDD (just a thought, I am no linux programmer!)?
(21-12-2013 01:01)dvdr Wrote: [ -> ]So I assume, that using the NOOB version of Raspbian might be the key to the problem - or even the fact, that it automatically mounted the USB HDD upon installation without me having to do anything. Could it be, that if I would have had to manually configure those mount point entries in the appropriate configuration files, this would have kind of produced a stable mount-point, that is not influenced by the sleep mode of the USB HDD (just a thought, I am no linux programmer!)?

I haven't tried the NOOB version myself. I agree that it looks like this is causing the problem. Perhaps it takes a little while for the disk to be remounted after resuming from sleep, and MinimServer is trying to access it before this has happened.

I'm away from home at the moment wthout access to a Raspberry Pi, so I can't help with debugging this. Can you ask about this on a Raspberrry Pi forum? It doesn't appear to be a MinimServer problem.
Reference URL's