MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Unable to get version 0.81 to start
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys,

Was excited to finally get to try the updated version of minimserver.

I installed 0.81 x86, prompted to uninstall the old 0.72 first, but now minimserver won't start at all, I get for a second javaw appear for a second in the task manager and dissapears. Tried rebooting, tried uninstalling 0.81 and re-installing it.

Some notes:
- Installed on Windows Home Server 2011 x64, installed x86 version of minimserver since that's what I was running prior and java is also 32bit.
- Cleared the cache in Java in case it could help

Any thoughts on how I could get it to work again?

Thanks for any help!
(17-12-2013 15:07)Benji99 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi guys,

Was excited to finally get to try the updated version of minimserver.

I installed 0.81 x86, prompted to uninstall the old 0.72 first, but now minimserver won't start at all, I get for a second javaw appear for a second in the task manager and dissapears. Tried rebooting, tried uninstalling 0.81 and re-installing it.

Some notes:
- Installed on Windows Home Server 2011 x64, installed x86 version of minimserver since that's what I was running prior and java is also 32bit.
- Cleared the cache in Java in case it could help

Any thoughts on how I could get it to work again?

Thanks for any help!

Please look in the minimserver.log file for error messages. You can find this file in the folder

C:\Users\<your-user-name>\AppData\Roaming\MinimServer\data

The AppData folder is hidden in Explorer, so you need to type the above path into the Explorer address bar.

Edit: Please also look in this folder to see if there are any crash log files.
Hi Simon, I was looking for the logs but was looking in the wrong user profile!

Here's what's written in minimserver.log:

Code:
MinimServer 0.72, Copyright (c) 2012, 2013 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.jminim.Log.getConsoleReader()Ljava/io/BufferedReader;
    at org.jminim.lib.ConsoleService.getService(ConsoleService.java:43)
    at org.jminim.core.RuntimeImpl.getService(RuntimeImpl.java:277)
    at org.jminim.core.LauncherImpl.run(LauncherImpl.java:678)
    at org.jminim.core.LauncherImpl.launch(LauncherImpl.java:85)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.jminim.launch.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:64)
    at com.minimserver.launch.LaunchServer.main(LaunchServer.java:24)

Thanks again!
Just tried to completely uninstall minimserver, deleted the minimserver folder under appdata\Roaming, uninstalled Java, rebooted, then installed latest version of Java 32bit 1.7u45, then installed minimserver.

I get the exact same behavior as before, javaw32.exe pops up for a second in the task manager then dissapears.
This time nothing gets created in the appdata\Roaming, only the folder \libext gets created and no files at all...
(19-12-2013 20:31)Benji99 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Simon, I was looking for the logs but was looking in the wrong user profile!

Here's what's written in minimserver.log:

Code:
MinimServer 0.72, Copyright (c) 2012, 2013 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.jminim.Log.getConsoleReader()Ljava/io/BufferedReader;
    at org.jminim.lib.ConsoleService.getService(ConsoleService.java:43)
    at org.jminim.core.RuntimeImpl.getService(RuntimeImpl.java:277)
    at org.jminim.core.LauncherImpl.run(LauncherImpl.java:678)
    at org.jminim.core.LauncherImpl.launch(LauncherImpl.java:85)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at org.jminim.launch.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:64)
    at com.minimserver.launch.LaunchServer.main(LaunchServer.java:24)

Thanks again!

This error means that the old MinimServer 0.72 installation was not uninstalled successfully before 0.8.1 was installed, so you now have a mixture of conflicting files from both versions. This can happen if MinimServer 0.72 was still running when you installed 0.8.1. The installation instructions warn about this, but it's easy to accidentally overlook this step. This wouldn't matter for most version updates, but it does matter for 0.8.1.

Please do the following:

1) In Control Panel, check "Programs and Features" to see which versions of MinimServer are installed, and uninstall all versions you see there.

2) Delete the complete C:\Program Files\MinimServer folder (not the MinimServer folder in AppData)

3) Reinstall MinimServer 0.8.1

I think this will fix the problem.
[/quote]

This error means that the old MinimServer 0.72 installation was not uninstalled successfully before 0.8.1 was installed, so you now have a mixture of conflicting files from both versions. This can happen if MinimServer 0.72 was still running when you installed 0.8.1. The installation instructions warn about this, but it's easy to accidentally overlook this step. This wouldn't matter for most version updates, but it does matter for 0.8.1.

Please do the following:

1) In Control Panel, check "Programs and Features" to see which versions of MinimServer are installed, and uninstall all versions you see there.

2) Delete the complete C:\Program Files\MinimServer folder (not the MinimServer folder in AppData)

3) Reinstall MinimServer 0.8.1

I think this will fix the problem.
[/quote]

Great that did it!

Yes you're right that it was running. I didn't look at the instructions too closely Wink I guess I'm used to installers checking before installing if the program is running and either asking to close it or the installer closes the app itself. Maybe a suggestion for the future? Wink
(20-12-2013 14:39)Benji99 Wrote: [ -> ]Great that did it!

Yes you're right that it was running. I didn't look at the instructions too closely Wink I guess I'm used to installers checking before installing if the program is running and either asking to close it or the installer closes the app itself. Maybe a suggestion for the future? Wink

It is on my list for investigation. Smile
Reference URL's