MinimServer Forum

Full Version: Accented characters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I'm running MinimServer 0.52 on a Linux machine (Kubuntu 10.04), and I've noticed that there seems to be a problem with accented letters: files that reside inside a directory whose name contains accented letters don't show up in the control point.

For example, the files inside a directory called "Die Kunst der Fuge (Version für 2 Cembali)" don't show up in MinimServer. It's as if they don't get scanned at all.
If I change the "ü" to a "ue" all's well, and the files show up after a restart.

Dunno if this is a known issue?

Cheers,
JW

PS: I've enabled the "All Artists" entry, and it does exactly what I'd hoped it would do Smile
(21-07-2012 19:54)rb73 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I'm running MinimServer 0.52 on a Linux machine (Kubuntu 10.04), and I've noticed that there seems to be a problem with accented letters: files that reside inside a directory whose name contains accented letters don't show up in the control point.

For example, the files inside a directory called "Die Kunst der Fuge (Version für 2 Cembali)" don't show up in MinimServer. It's as if they don't get scanned at all.
If I change the "ü" to a "ue" all's well, and the files show up after a restart.

Dunno if this is a known issue?

Cheers,
JW

PS: I've enabled the "All Artists" entry, and it does exactly what I'd hoped it would do Smile

Yes, this is a known issue.

You're seeing this because the locale setting on the Kubuntu machine specifies a charset that doesn't contain the accented characters in your directory names and/or file names. In this situation, Java ignores these directories and files, so MinimServer doesn't see them when it scans your files.

There's a good summary of how to view and change your locale on this page.

The best solution is to change your locale setting to something that uses the UTF-8 charset, and make sure your directory names and file names are encoded using UTF-8. You can use convmv to change the encoding of your directory names and file names.

If your version of Linux doesn't support any locales that use UTF-8, you'll need to change your directory names and file names to remove the accented characters.
Thanks for the quick reply and the pointers. I'll have a look and see if I can fix things Smile
Weird. The Linux box was already set to en_US.UTF-8

I went for a quick fix: downloaded "Diacritics Remover" (64-bit version here: http://tinyurl.com/cbkw7d2), set it to work, and I have hundreds of tracks back Tongue
(22-07-2012 09:13)rb73 Wrote: [ -> ]Weird. The Linux box was already set to en_US.UTF-8

In that case, the file names and directory names must have been in a different character set such as Windows-1252 or MacRoman. This can happen when files are copied from another computer that uses a different character set.

This is where convmv is useful. If you know the original character set (or can work it out by a bit of detective work), you can use convmv to convert the file names and directory names from the original character set into UTF-8.

Quote:I went for a quick fix: downloaded "Diacritics Remover" (64-bit version here: http://tinyurl.com/cbkw7d2), set it to work, and I have hundreds of tracks back Tongue

That works as well! Smile
Reference URL's