Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help - won't startup
11-11-2013, 12:52
RE: Help - won't startup
Thanks for the heads up on the 65k folder limit. If I hit that, could I run 2 instances of Minim on seperate machines ? I can acheive that quite easily.

I.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 13:07
(11-11-2013 12:52)iangude Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up on the 65k folder limit. If I hit that, could I run 2 instances of Minim on seperate machines ? I can acheive that quite easily.

I.

This limit is per instance of MinimServer, so you can run another instance with another set of 65000 folders.
11-11-2013, 13:17 (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 17:48 by DavidHB.)
(11-11-2013 12:52)iangude Wrote:  Thanks for the heads up on the 65k folder limit. If I hit that, could I run 2 instances of Minim on seperate machines ? I can acheive that quite easily.

I.

Yes, you can. I do it all the time (as does Simon, I believe). The limitation is that the control point can only access one instance at a time (you select which instance you want to use on the Library (or similar) page of the Control Point). Of course, in some circumstances, this limitation can be an advantage.

The concept is simple, but it took me a while to figure out how useful it can be. My daughter asked if she could play the music stored on her laptop on my Linn DSM. After messing around with a wired connection to an HDMI input on the Linn, I realised that a much neater solution was to install MinimServer and Kinsky on the laptop. They use no system resources when they are not active, and the line of sight wireless access in my living room can cope easily with the demands of streaming my daughter's MP3 format files.

David
11-11-2013, 19:29
Hi

Right - when I got home I'd hit the dreaded 65k limit, so I've played around and pointed it at half my music directories, and success - we are working ! I now need to install on a second machine for the other half, which I will do over the next week or so.

Once I get my Sneaky (this week I hope) then looks like the perfect set up. I'll sort about sending a donation through as the software (and support) is spot on.

Just as an aside, the current utilisation (with the 256 value in from above is)….

heap 74m used, 94m consumed, 216m committed
nonheap 27m used, 42m committed.

Given I will be adding more albums, worth increasing to 512mb ?

Thanks
Ian
11-11-2013, 19:55
(11-11-2013 19:29)iangude Wrote:  Hi

Right - when I got home I'd hit the dreaded 65k limit, so I've played around and pointed it at half my music directories, and success - we are working ! I now need to install on a second machine for the other half, which I will do over the next week or so.

Once I get my Sneaky (this week I hope) then looks like the perfect set up. I'll sort about sending a donation through as the software (and support) is spot on.

Just as an aside, the current utilisation (with the 256 value in from above is)….

heap 74m used, 94m consumed, 216m committed
nonheap 27m used, 42m committed.

Given I will be adding more albums, worth increasing to 512mb ?

Thanks
Ian

I don't think you need to increase the heap size. The 216m committed is a "high water mark" from the end of the initial scan. After this, MinimServer releases some large memory structures, which leaves you with 94m of heap memory consumed (the real number). When the "committed" number gets up to about 250,000,000, that would be a good time to increase the heap size.
11-11-2013, 20:40
Great - thanks !