Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimwatch installation
23-10-2013, 17:57
Minimwatch installation
Can anyone help,PLEASE.
Have downloaded MinimWatch from web but when I click on desktop icon all I get is a new window with .rar files, none of which I understand. I don't know how to unpack / extract these so Minim Watch will work
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
23-10-2013, 20:13 (This post was last modified: 23-10-2013 20:14 by simoncn.)
RE: Minimwatch installation
(23-10-2013 17:57)Andrew Wrote:  Can anyone help,PLEASE.
Have downloaded MinimWatch from web but when I click on desktop icon all I get is a new window with .rar files, none of which I understand. I don't know how to unpack / extract these so Minim Watch will work

Did you download MinimWatch from the MinimServer website or from somewhere else? The version on the MinimServer website doesn't contain any .rar files.
23-10-2013, 20:18
Simon has great install guides for each operating system here http://minimserver.com/installing.html
If you continue to have problems please say which operating system you are installing on and at what point you hit a problem.
Go luck and do post back with any problems
Peter

Peter
QNAP 559 ProII, Melco N1ZH, MinimServer, Linn, Lumin & Kazoo
24-10-2013, 08:57
Thank you simoncn and peter@57m, yes I did download from the MinimServer website, and I am getting a WinRAR window which contains all the MinimWatch 'stuff', but I do not know how to get these to work, I have a desktop MinimWatch icon which just brings up the WinRAR window, I have the correct Java installed, my NAS has MinimServer installed, and I'm obviously not very good, sorry folks, but I need some more assistance, thank you again. PC running Windows 7 pro 64 bit, 32 bit java installed as per MinimWatch installation instructions (browser is 32 bit).
24-10-2013, 09:54
(24-10-2013 08:57)Andrew Wrote:  Thank you simoncn and peter@57m, yes I did download from the MinimServer website, and I am getting a WinRAR window which contains all the MinimWatch 'stuff', but I do not know how to get these to work, I have a desktop MinimWatch icon which just brings up the WinRAR window, I have the correct Java installed, my NAS has MinimServer installed, and I'm obviously not very good, sorry folks, but I need some more assistance, thank you again. PC running Windows 7 pro 64 bit, 32 bit java installed as per MinimWatch installation instructions (browser is 32 bit).

OK, I understand what is causing this. The desktop MinimWatch icon is a shortcut to a .jar file, and installing Java should have associated the .jar extension with the javaw.exe program, so that Java is started when you click on this icon. Instead, you have somehow got the .jar extension associated with the WinRAR program.

The simplest solution is for you to edit the desktop shortcut for MinimWatch. If you right-click the icon and select Properties, you'll get a dialog with a Target field saying something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib\minimwatch.jar"

Change this value to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib\minimwatch.jar"

Click OK, and confirm your administrator permission to change this setting when prompted.

Clicking the desktop icon should now start MinimWatch.
24-10-2013, 11:31
(24-10-2013 09:54)simoncn Wrote:  
(24-10-2013 08:57)Andrew Wrote:  Thank you simoncn and peter@57m, yes I did download from the MinimServer website, and I am getting a WinRAR window which contains all the MinimWatch 'stuff', but I do not know how to get these to work, I have a desktop MinimWatch icon which just brings up the WinRAR window, I have the correct Java installed, my NAS has MinimServer installed, and I'm obviously not very good, sorry folks, but I need some more assistance, thank you again. PC running Windows 7 pro 64 bit, 32 bit java installed as per MinimWatch installation instructions (browser is 32 bit).

OK, I understand what is causing this. The desktop MinimWatch icon is a shortcut to a .jar file, and installing Java should have associated the .jar extension with the javaw.exe program, so that Java is started when you click on this icon. Instead, you have somehow got the .jar extension associated with the WinRAR program.

The simplest solution is for you to edit the desktop shortcut for MinimWatch. If you right-click the icon and select Properties, you'll get a dialog with a Target field saying something like this:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib\minimwatch.jar"

Change this value to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "C:\Program Files (x86)\MinimWatch\lib\minimwatch.jar"

Click OK, and confirm your administrator permission to change this setting when prompted.

Clicking the desktop icon should now start MinimWatch.

You guys are superstars, thank you very much indeed, special thanks to simoncn. All now appears ok. Newly ripped CDs are now appearing on Minim Server without having to restart my PC or NAS, also I find I use Minim rather than Twonky now. One more question however.......there is a saved playlist in the playlist folder of Minim Server, how do I delete this ? If any of you visit Scotland, please let me buy you a beerSmile
24-10-2013, 11:47 (This post was last modified: 24-10-2013 11:48 by simoncn.)
(24-10-2013 11:31)Andrew Wrote:  You guys are superstars, thank you very much indeed, special thanks to simoncn. All now appears ok. Newly ripped CDs are now appearing on Minim Server without having to restart my PC or NAS, also I find I use Minim rather than Twonky now. One more question however.......there is a saved playlist in the playlist folder of Minim Server, how do I delete this ? If any of you visit Scotland, please let me buy you a beerSmile

I'm glad to hear it's working now. You'll have to repeat this manual edit of the shortcut properties each time you update to a new release of MinimWatch, unless you remove the association of .jar files with WinRAR.

MinimServer scans your music library on the server for .m3u playlist files and shows them under the "<n> playlists" menu choice. I presume this is what you're seeing. If you don't want to see these playlists, you can delete them from your music library. There is no specific folder for playlists, so you'll need to search your library to find them.