Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
compilation album tagging
17-10-2013, 21:59
compilation album tagging
I've tagged my music files with only genre,artist,album,title and compilation tags but when I browse the music collection by album....compilation albums show multiple times ( one for each artist on the album )
How can I set minimserver to only show one album for this view? or do I have to change my tagging scheme?
I'm using streamMagic6 as my control point
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-10-2013, 22:25
RE: compilation album tagging
(17-10-2013 21:59)gillecaluim Wrote:  I've tagged my music files with only genre,artist,album,title and compilation tags but when I browse the music collection by album....compilation albums show multiple times ( one for each artist on the album )
How can I set minimserver to only show one album for this view? or do I have to change my tagging scheme?

Do you have a folder structure with artist at the top level? If so, the compilation album will be split between multiple folders (one for each artist) and MinimServer will create a separate album for each of these folders.

To prevent this from happening, you can either change your folder structure so that the whole album is in a single folder, or you can set the mergeFolderAlbums property to true. This setting will merge album tracks from separate folders into the same album.

Note: To make merging across multiple folders work for a multiple-artist album, you need to have the AlbumArtist tag set for all the tracks of the album. For example, you could set this to 'Various Artists' or 'Compilation'.
18-10-2013, 01:07
(17-10-2013 22:25)simoncn Wrote:  
(17-10-2013 21:59)gillecaluim Wrote:  I've tagged my music files with only genre,artist,album,title and compilation tags but when I browse the music collection by album....compilation albums show multiple times ( one for each artist on the album )

Do you have a folder structure with artist at the top level? If so, the compilation album will be split between multiple folders (one for each artist) and MinimServer will create a separate album for each of these folders.

To prevent this from happening, you can either change your folder structure so that the whole album is in a single folder, or you can set the mergeFolderAlbums property to true. This setting will merge album tracks from separate folders into the same album.

Note: To make merging across multiple folders work for a multiple-artist album, you need to have the AlbumArtist tag set for all the tracks of the album. For example, you could set this to 'Various Artists' or 'Compilation'.

setting the mergeFolderAlbums is easy. Do the compilation albums have to have track numbers?
18-10-2013, 06:13
(18-10-2013 01:07)gillecaluim Wrote:  setting the mergeFolderAlbums is easy. Do the compilation albums have to have track numbers?

It should work without track numbers, but the tracks might not be in the right order when you view or play the album. Without track numbers, the tracks will be sorted in alphabetical order.
20-10-2013, 03:26 (This post was last modified: 20-10-2013 03:27 by gillecaluim.)
(18-10-2013 06:13)simoncn Wrote:  
(18-10-2013 01:07)gillecaluim Wrote:  setting the mergeFolderAlbums is easy. Do the compilation albums have to have track numbers?

It should work without track numbers, but the tracks might not be in the right order when you view or play the album. Without track numbers, the tracks will be sorted in alphabetical order.

I set mergeFolderAlbums=true but compilation albums are still showing as separate albums. I've added the tag COMPILATION=1 for all compilation albums and I even cleared the cache so that it would rebuild the database but no success.
My file/folder structure is genre/artist/album/song so with a compilation album an album will be spread out amongst the different artists.
Does minimserver use the file/folder structure or just tags to build the db structure?
20-10-2013, 07:11
(20-10-2013 03:26)gillecaluim Wrote:  I set mergeFolderAlbums=true but compilation albums are still showing as separate albums. I've added the tag COMPILATION=1 for all compilation albums and I even cleared the cache so that it would rebuild the database but no success.
My file/folder structure is genre/artist/album/song so with a compilation album an album will be spread out amongst the different artists.
Does minimserver use the file/folder structure or just tags to build the db structure?

As I said in my earlier post:

Have you done this?
20-10-2013, 19:07
(20-10-2013 07:11)simoncn Wrote:  
(20-10-2013 03:26)gillecaluim Wrote:  I set mergeFolderAlbums=true but compilation albums are still showing as separate albums. I've added the tag COMPILATION=1 for all compilation albums and I even cleared the cache so that it would rebuild the database but no success.

As I said in my earlier post:

Have you done this?

works now...I had checked an album that hadn't added albumartist tag
thanks