Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Auto Restart package for QNAP users
10-10-2013, 15:12
Auto Restart package for QNAP users
Hi Simon

i wanted to create an autorestart package for QNAP building on the work of the script of winxi:
http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=426

i saw that he uses a very elegant way to send commands to the local minim instance. he uses a named pipe which is connected to the STDIN of minim.

checking a bit deeper i saw that this pipe is created by the minimserver-package itself, and it exists only in the synology package of minimserver but not on QNAP. is the named pipe something that is used on all synology-packages, or is it something that you have added? if it is the second, why haven't you added it to the QNAP package of minimserver too?

as i would like to use the QNAP minimserver package provided by you, it would be nice if you could add the named pipe to your package script, so that i don't have to adopt it locally. then i would make the QNAP autorestart package and share it in the forum. what do you think about that?

greets
KoS
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-10-2013, 15:45
RE: Auto Restart package for QNAP users
(10-10-2013 15:12)KoS Wrote:  Hi Simon

i wanted to create an autorestart package for QNAP building on the work of the script of winxi:
http://forum1613.minimserver.com/showthread.php?tid=426

i saw that he uses a very elegant way to send commands to the local minim instance. he uses a named pipe which is connected to the STDIN of minim.

checking a bit deeper i saw that this pipe is created by the minimserver-package itself, and it exists only in the synology package of minimserver but not on QNAP. is the named pipe something that is used on all synology-packages, or is it something that you have added? if it is the second, why haven't you added it to the QNAP package of minimserver too?

as i would like to use the QNAP minimserver package provided by you, it would be nice if you could add the named pipe to your package script, so that i don't have to adopt it locally. then i would make the QNAP autorestart package and share it in the forum. what do you think about that?

greets
KoS

Thanks for this offer to create an Auto Restart package for QNAP.

The named pipe on Synology was added specifically for MinimServer, and isn't a standard part of Synology packages.

I am hoping to add automatic update scanning to a future release of MinimServer and make this available for all platforms. This would be better than using an "Auto Restart" package because it would not be necessary to rescan the entire library, just the files that have changed.

Because of this, I'd prefer not to do extra work to add named pipe support to MinimServer for additional platforms. Instead, I think it would be more useful for me to put my efforts into implementing automatic update scanning.
10-10-2013, 16:12
(10-10-2013 15:45)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for this offer to create an Auto Restart package for QNAP.

The named pipe on Synology was added specifically for MinimServer, and isn't a standard part of Synology packages.

I am hoping to add automatic update scanning to a future release of MinimServer and make this available for all platforms. This would be better than using an "Auto Restart" package because it would not be necessary to rescan the entire library, just the files that have changed.

Because of this, I'd prefer not to do extra work to add named pipe support to MinimServer for additional platforms. Instead, I think it would be more useful for me to put my efforts into implementing automatic update scanning.

Thanks for your fast reply. I agree with you that it would be nicer and more efficient and elegant to have it directly in minimserver, but a solution for the meantime would be nice. And as we already have a simple way and script to restart minim based on inotify chanages, it would be great to have this supported. There are no big changes in your QNAP package to add the additional named pipe to it. e.g. there are three lines were minimserver is started and the named pipe needs to be connected. plus two additional lines to create the pipe. so i would greatly appreciate if you could add that to the QNAP package. or i can add it by myself and send you a patch file?
10-10-2013, 19:34
(10-10-2013 16:12)KoS Wrote:  Thanks for your fast reply. I agree with you that it would be nicer and more efficient and elegant to have it directly in minimserver, but a solution for the meantime would be nice. And as we already have a simple way and script to restart minim based on inotify chanages, it would be great to have this supported. There are no big changes in your QNAP package to add the additional named pipe to it. e.g. there are three lines were minimserver is started and the named pipe needs to be connected. plus two additional lines to create the pipe. so i would greatly appreciate if you could add that to the QNAP package. or i can add it by myself and send you a patch file?

The cost of adding a feature isn't just a matter of counting the number of lines of code involved. When this was added to the Synology version of MinimServer, there were a number of discussions over many weeks and multiple iterations of the design to find something that worked well enough on the Synology firmware. This process isn't yet complete, with further changes expected in the next release of MinimServer for Synology.

Another consideration is that adding any feature sets an implied precedent for user expectations. In this case, supporting this on Synology has given you the expectation that it should be supported on QNAP as well. If I were to add support for QNAP, there are likely to be further requests for adding this support on Windows, Mac, Linux or ReadyNAS.

I don't have the bandwidth at the moment to do any work on this, including design discussions. This is because I am currently focusing my efforts on completing and delivering the next release of MinimServer.

You are of course welcome to make changes to the QNAP minimserver.sh file to support the named pipes feature for testing and for your own personal use. If you would like to make an "Auto Restart" package for QNAP available to other users, you could include code in this "Auto Restart" package to patch the minimserver.sh file with the changes needed to make the "Auto Restart" package work. This patching approach is needed because the MinimServer license terms don't allow redistributing a modified version of the minimserver.sh file as part of some other package.
27-10-2013, 07:05
A QNAP Autostart would be cool Smile