Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Synology 212j mapping.
22-09-2013, 15:14
Synology 212j mapping.
With the help of Forum members my Synology and Minimserver have been working well for some time.Today however I added an album to ITunes on my Mac clicked restart but NAS did not update.I noticed that log showed "System detected external IP had been changed to 80.192.6.*** port mapping must be re added".I clicked through setting on Synology and log then showed "System successfully enabled DDNS update."I must have pressed a wrong button somewhere but I have not knowingly changed any thing on my Mac or the NAS.NAS still not updating.Any help would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2013, 19:05
RE: Synology 212j mapping.
(22-09-2013 15:14)mors Wrote:  With the help of Forum members my Synology and Minimserver have been working well for some time.Today however I added an album to ITunes on my Mac clicked restart but NAS did not update.I noticed that log showed "System detected external IP had been changed to 80.192.6.*** port mapping must be re added".I clicked through setting on Synology and log then showed "System successfully enabled DDNS update."I must have pressed a wrong button somewhere but I have not knowingly changed any thing on my Mac or the NAS.NAS still not updating.Any help would be much appreciated.

Please try rebooting the NAS. Does MinimServer start after the reboot?
22-09-2013, 19:42
Thanks again for your response .Tried reboot but still not updating .Minimserver running normally.
22-09-2013, 20:01
(22-09-2013 19:42)mors Wrote:  Thanks again for your response .Tried reboot but still not updating .Minimserver running normally.

It sounds like the album might have been added to iTunes on the Mac but was not added to your music library on the Synology. I'm not an iTunes user and I don't know how to fix this.
23-09-2013, 02:50
Is ITunes supposed to use the Synology natively as its music store, and are there any folders on your Mac that it also uses? Presumably, if it saved your downloaded or ripped files to a folder on the Mac, there is no automatic updating of the Synology that MinimServer is tracking. Even if iTunes has an item in its index, that does not necessarily mean that it is in a part of the file system where other relevant applications can access it. (That IMO is the danger of using index-based rather than file-system based programs for managing data libraries.)

Not being a Mac or (much of) an iTunes user, I can't really be more specific. If you can locate the new files on your Mac (e.g. in its music folder) and copy them over manually to the music folder on your Synology, then restart MinimServer to ensure that it includes them in its indexes, that should solve your problem. If the files are on the Synology, you need to check that they are in the music folder MinimServer is set to look at. If they are, that is a problem Simon would wish to look at. But if, as he and I both suspect, the files have just not been copied over, copying them to the right location on the Synology will more than likely fix the problem.

David

David
23-09-2013, 06:59 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2013 07:01 by simoncn.)
(22-09-2013 20:01)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like the album might have been added to iTunes on the Mac but was not added to your music library on the Synology. I'm not an iTunes user and I don't know how to fix this.

Therre seems to be some useful information in this thread. I also found this thread, which points to this article. You can find more information about this by typing "itunes library nas" into Google.
23-09-2013, 09:01
Thanks for your responses.I've obviously not explained myself fully.My Synology was working normally until yesterday.My media folder is on the NAS.Any album I added to ITunes library on my Mac was automatically added to NAS by clicking Restart on Minimwatch.What I am talking about is a one of unexpected event yesterday.I presume the log message mentioned in my first post has something to do with it.
23-09-2013, 09:18 (This post was last modified: 23-09-2013 09:19 by simoncn.)
(23-09-2013 09:01)mors Wrote:  Thanks for your responses.I've obviously not explained myself fully.My Synology was working normally until yesterday.My media folder is on the NAS.Any album I added to ITunes library on my Mac was automatically added to NAS by clicking Restart on Minimwatch.What I am talking about is a one of unexpected event yesterday.I presume the log message mentioned in my first post has something to do with it.

Clicking Restart in MinimWatch doesn't add anything to the NAS. It just makes MinimServer show whatever is already on the NAS. If your media folder is on the NAS, the new music would be added to the NAS by iTunes.

It seems the problem you had yesterday prevented iTunes from adding your new music to the NAS. The next step would be to use File Station on the NAS to confirm whether or not your new music is physically present on the NAS. If not, you will need to use iTunes to add this music to the NAS again. When this music has been successfully added to the NAS (as confirmed by File Station), restarting MinimServer will make the music available for browsing and playing.
23-09-2013, 09:28
Thanks, I've tried this; deleting album from ITunes and then re adding.The album is on ITunes library on Mac but has not reached NAS.I also tried another album this morning with the same result.Everything else is as normal with music already on NAS.
23-09-2013, 17:39
If the problem is that iTunes has somehow changed its settings, and is not saving the new albums to the NAS, the procedure you described would not solve the problem. So Simon's specific question - can you see the files, in the correct location, using File Station (or the Finder, if it can/will access the NAS directly)? - is key to determining whether you have an iTunes issue or a MinimServer issue.

MinimServer, like any separate application, has no interest in how iTunes indexes your files. All it needs from iTunes is that they are saved to a location it knows about on the Synology.

David