Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Streamlining the browsing tree & multiple configs
16-09-2013, 23:47 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2013 23:49 by haggis999.)
Streamlining the browsing tree & multiple configs
I recognise that the default settings in MinimServer provide a very powerful and flexible search and selection facility but it does come with the disadvantage of requiring a lot more button pressing than my J River Media Center setup when I want to run my standard music selection sequence, which is as follows:
Genre > Composer > Work > Artist (if there are multiple recordings) > Track listing

Default MinimServer settings
tagOptions = Album.sortTags\={Album, Artist}
tagCustom = Composer.displayRole\={artist}
tagFormat = Artist.displayFormat\={$artist$orchestra$conductor}
indexTags = Artist, Date, Genre, All Artists, Composer, Conductor, Orchestra
showExtras = true
itemTags =
aliasTags =
alphaGroup =

Modified settings V1
tagFormat = Artist.displayFormat\={$artist$orchestra$conductor}
indexTags = Artist, Date, Genre, All Artists, Composer, Conductor, Orchestra, Group\:Work
showExtras = true
itemTags =
aliasTags = Work\:Group
alphaGroup = Composer

RESULTS: Can drill down (for example) via Genre = Classical, Composer = Beethoven, Work = Missa Solemnis (out of a list of 25, as defined by my custom Work tag) and so on. However, MinimServer presents quite a long list of selection options, which requires more scrolling and button pressing than I would prefer.

Modified settings V2
tagFormat =
indexTags = Genre, Composer, Group\:Work
showExtras = false
itemTags =
aliasTags = Work\:Group
alphaGroup = Composer

RESULTS: The removal of 5 items from the indexTags list and setting showExtras to 'false' considerably streamlines the interface (a by-product of removing Conductor and Orchestra from the indexTags list is the need to also delete the default tagFormat setting to avoid error messages).

However, there are still too many selection options for my taste. For example, I would prefer not to be presented with the option to choose the Work tag until after I have selected the Composer. Is this possible?

I am aware that my modified configuration would not be suitable for non-classical music and that this runs counter to the current interface philosophy, which has the flexibility to work for both classical and non-classical music. My general preference for pared down interfaces means that I would actually like to have the same ability in MinimServer as I currently have by using rules in JRMC, which is to present information differently for classical versus non-classical music, i.e. to switch configurations based on the Genre setting. Is this something that might be considered for a future release?

David
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-09-2013, 10:44
RE: Streamlining the browsing tree & multiple configs
(16-09-2013 23:47)haggis999 Wrote:  However, there are still too many selection options for my taste. For example, I would prefer not to be presented with the option to choose the Work tag until after I have selected the Composer. Is this possible?

See this post for a similar discussion. If support for browsing paths were to be added in a future release, you would be able to create a browsing path for 'Composer/Work' and use this instead of having independent Composer and Work index choices.

Quote:I am aware that my modified configuration would not be suitable for non-classical music and that this runs counter to the current interface philosophy, which has the flexibility to work for both classical and non-classical music. My general preference for pared down interfaces means that I would actually like to have the same ability in MinimServer as I currently have by using rules in JRMC, which is to present information differently for classical versus non-classical music, i.e. to switch configurations based on the Genre setting. Is this something that might be considered for a future release?

David

At present, Genre is just an index tag and has no other special significance. I would be reluctant to add special treatment for this specific index tag. It might be possible to extend browsing paths to do what you want by adding the ability to define a browsing path for 'Genre=Classical/Composer/Work' or something along these lines. Can you say more about the differences you have in mind?
17-09-2013, 12:42 (This post was last modified: 17-09-2013 14:50 by haggis999.)
(17-09-2013 10:44)simoncn Wrote:  At present, Genre is just an index tag and has no other special significance. I would be reluctant to add special treatment for this specific index tag. It might be possible to extend browsing paths to do what you want by adding the ability to define a browsing path for 'Genre=Classical/Composer/Work' or something along these lines. Can you say more about the differences you have in mind?

To use your terminology, I only see the requirement for two 'browsing paths' to meet my needs, one for classical music and one for non-classical. Since the distinction between classical and non-classical logically belongs in the Genre tag, that would seem to be the appropriate trigger for automatically selecting the correct browsing path.

When I want to play classical music, I want to make my selection as follows:

Composer > Work > Artist (but only if multiple recordings exist) > Full track listing of work

When I want to play non-classical music, my preferred selection process would be:

Artist > Album > Full track listing of album

David
17-09-2013, 17:15 (This post was last modified: 17-09-2013 17:16 by simoncn.)
(17-09-2013 12:42)haggis999 Wrote:  To use your terminology, I only see the requirement for two 'browsing paths' to meet my needs, one for classical music and one for non-classical. Since the distinction between classical and non-classical logically belongs in the Genre tag, that would seem to be the appropriate trigger for automatically selecting the correct browsing path.

When I want to play classical music, I want to make my selection as follows:

Composer > Work > Artist (but only if multiple recordings exist) > Full track listing of work

When I want to play non-classical music, my preferred selection process would be:

Artist > Album > Full track listing of album

David

I'm not sure whether it will be possible to open the full track listing automatically. This is because of issues with how to do this within the constraints of the UPnP browsing protocol. I'll look into this if and when I implement browsing paths. At the moment, I can't give any time estimate for when this might happen.
17-09-2013, 17:27
(17-09-2013 17:15)simoncn Wrote:  I'm not sure whether it will be possible to open the full track listing automatically.

I thought that was what your Group setting achieved?

With my current MinimServer settings (Modified settings V2 in my OP), I do eventually get to a complete track listing for my selected work.

However, this current process suffers from at least one redundant step. After selecting Work I get a choice of recordings. After selecting the required recording I then get asked again to select the Work! This applies even when there is only one recording available.

David
17-09-2013, 17:54
(17-09-2013 17:27)haggis999 Wrote:  
(17-09-2013 17:15)simoncn Wrote:  I'm not sure whether it will be possible to open the full track listing automatically.

I thought that was what your Group setting achieved?

This issue is related to how index entries, groups and tracks are mapped into UPnP containers.

Quote:With my current MinimServer settings (Modified settings V2 in my OP), I do eventually get to a complete track listing for my selected work.

However, this current process suffers from at least one redundant step. After selecting Work I get a choice of recordings. After selecting the required recording I then get asked again to select the Work! This applies even when there is only one recording available.

David

I think this is because you have Work aliased to Group. You are getting the second redundant choice because there is a Group tag. If you use the second option from my earlier post, this shouldn't happen.

Some more explanation: when you have a Group tag, the entire group is treated as a single item for browsing purposes. When you use the index to select a work, the result will be a single Group item. Depending on which control point you are using, you should be able to select this Group item directly for playing without first needing to open it and view its tracks.
17-09-2013, 18:02
Thanks for that. My wife and I will shortly be heading off to our local art house cinema to watch a live relay of Turandot from ROH, Covent Garden so I will check out your suggestions later.

David
17-09-2013, 23:53
(17-09-2013 17:54)simoncn Wrote:  I think this is because you have Work aliased to Group. You are getting the second redundant choice because there is a Group tag. If you use the second option from my earlier post, this shouldn't happen.

Having now returned home, with Puccini still ringing in my ears, I have followed your suggestion and also added my Sub-Genre tag (which currently offers me the choice of Chamber, Instrumental, Opera, Orchestral or Vocal/Choral). My configuration is now:

Modified settings V3
tagFormat =
indexTags = Genre, Sub-Genre, Composer, Work
showExtras = false
itemTags =
aliasTags =
alphaGroup = Composer

This did indeed resolve my problem with being asked twice to specify the Work (but read on).

I then decided to revert to my 'Modified settings V2' to check out whether I could select a work without browsing as far as the track listing. That worked for me on the Oppo BDP-105 but, to my surprise, the redundant selection requirement did NOT reappear!

Nothing I have tried so far has made that problem come back. Perhaps it was just some obscure and temporary bug that has now disappeared. Computers are designed to drive you mad . . .

Thanks as always for your prompt assistance.

David
18-09-2013, 09:05
(17-09-2013 23:53)haggis999 Wrote:  I then decided to revert to my 'Modified settings V2' to check out whether I could select a work without browsing as far as the track listing. That worked for me on the Oppo BDP-105 but, to my surprise, the redundant selection requirement did NOT reappear!

Nothing I have tried so far has made that problem come back. Perhaps it was just some obscure and temporary bug that has now disappeared. Computers are designed to drive you mad . . .

Thanks as always for your prompt assistance.

David

If this happens again, please let me know exactly what browsing steps caused it.

Regarding whether it's better to use V2 (works and groups) or V3 (works without groups), a group is intended to be a piece of music that you would normally want to view and play as if it were a single item, with the additional ability to open it up and view the individual tracks if you need to do that for any reason.
18-09-2013, 15:42 (This post was last modified: 18-09-2013 15:45 by haggis999.)
I think I have tracked down the cause of confusion. In that earlier thread, you advised that I should use aliasTags=Work:Group and should add Group:Work to indexTags. Those exact settings (without any embedded backslashes) seem to be what causes repeated Work selection requests. It also makes Work appear as a choice at least twice before the selection of Composer.

It doesn't seem to matter if I use Work:Group or Work\:Group but using Group\:Work in indexTags makes Work appears as a selection item only after I have chosen the composer and the track listing is the next display. The interface is much slicker as a result.

Rather confusingly, my OP showed the use of backslashes. I had got this from an early copy of my config file but since you had not used backslashes I assumed they were optional.

David