Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Let's brainstorm..Setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC
01-09-2013, 06:39 (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 10:38 by wappinghigh.)
Let's brainstorm..Setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC
Now that I am a big convert to MinimServer, I would like to start a thread on exploring the possibility of setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC.

Perhaps Simon could release a version of MinimServer that runs on a bot computer..(or something that works with MinimServer on a NAS) which would feed the Minimserver UPnP library to the Async USB on a DAC.

So many DAC'S these days have USB as an input. I have a few lying around which could be put to use in different rooms. And I am sure everyone is aware of the itunes +/- itunes add on's or Jriver etc USB DAC set ups.. you know the standard computeraudiophile CAPS set up...

Anyway, how do we get use of these DACS's and switch everyone over to MinimServer? !!!! And develop a whole new market for the software!

1/ Do we need a UPnP streamer to USB convertor box. Like the Sonore... But will this run or stream MinimServer? And via what control?

2/ Or would it be better to set up a version of MinimServer on something like a Cubox or the Raspberry Pi? And if so, how would this be done? Could this handle DSD? or Multichannel?..

I'd favour option 2, mainly because these bot like computers are cheaper, quieter and less power hungry. Also small enough for a Desk or to hide behind the DAC.... But I have no idea how, or if this would be possible....

So over to all you MinimServer lovers.. would it be possible to make this sort of setup happen? *and* to keep it clean and simple.. just like MinimServer is now?..

Can anybody dream up an easy way to do this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-09-2013, 10:59
RE: Let's brainstorm..Setting up MinimServer to feed a USB DAC
Most ideal to me would be something like a Raspberry Pi acting as a 'digital only' renderer that is Openhome UPNP/AV compatible. This device can then connect to your USB DAC.

I believe there is some software out there to use the Raspberry Pi as a render, but I'm not sure if that can output USB for you DAC and also I don't know if it is fully Openhome compatible to support gapless playback avoid having the control point to be accessible all the time.
And input on this would be appreciated!
01-09-2013, 12:51 (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 12:52 by magister.)
I am struggling with this same issue. I really want to try a DSD-capable DAC, but they all seem to require USB input for DSD to work. For instance, I was looking at the TEAC ud-501, which will accept DoP; MinimServer will transcode DSD files to DoP; but if you have a NAS/ethernet seupt as I do, there's no way to get from one to the other without adding a computer or one of the Sonore products. Very frustrating!

Some of the Sonore products do work with MinimServer, some are oriented to Logitech Music Server. They have so many products and it's not clear what works best in what situation. You almost have to contact their sales guy, Jesus, (see link on their page) -- he is helpful.

Something like a Raspberry pi would certainly be cheaper; I'd love to see someone explain how to set this up.

David
01-09-2013, 21:52
(01-09-2013 10:59)Zee Wrote:  Most ideal to me would be something like a Raspberry Pi acting as a 'digital only' renderer that is Openhome UPNP/AV compatible. This device can then connect to your USB DAC.

I believe there is some software out there to use the Raspberry Pi as a render, but I'm not sure if that can output USB for you DAC and also I don't know if it is fully Openhome compatible to support gapless playback avoid having the control point to be accessible all the time.
And input on this would be appreciated!

This seems like the right approach. MinimServer is a server, not a renderer, and I don't think it makes sense to attempt to add renderer capabilities to it.

A hardware/software combination that includes MinimServer and a suitable UPnP renderer that can drive a USB-attached DAC would be a good solution. The hardware hosting platform could be a Raspberry Pi or any similar low-cost Linux computer with a USB port.
02-09-2013, 07:26 (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 07:26 by wappinghigh.)
^Sure.. but what is a suitable Renderer? XBMC can run on the Pi and Cbox, but doesn't support DSD and I'n not sure it outputs via the USB port either..

We need MinimRenderer Smile
02-09-2013, 07:29
? Would this work???

http://www.sonore.us/index8.html
02-09-2013, 07:41
(02-09-2013 07:26)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^Sure.. but what is a suitable Renderer? XBMC can run on the Pi and Cbox, but doesn't support DSD and I'n not sure it outputs via the USB port either..

We need MinimRenderer Smile

There is an opportunity for someone here....
02-09-2013, 07:55 (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 07:56 by wappinghigh.)
^I've been trying to twist the arm of that Miska guy on CA (who has got his quality Linux based no frills "HQplayer" running on a Cubox) I belive this would be a Perfect solution. All he needs to do is make HQplayer "render" a UPnP server..

But I can't get him to bite.. He wants to still feed files off an attached USB disc. Go figure..

You can lead a horse to water....

Come on guys. Lobby this guy!! LOL!
02-09-2013, 12:33 (This post was last modified: 02-09-2013 13:11 by dvdr.)
Just my 2 cents, since I am currently working on a Raspberry Pi project:
- it's a great platform for MinimServer, but you need a uPnP-capable renderer (in my case, it is a Linn Akurate DS), that receives MinimServer's network-stream. High resolution files and (if the renderer supports it) DoP (DSD over PCM) are no problem. So, this is my High-End-Audio solution.
- for USB Audio Output, there are numorous projects out there (for example http://www.raspyfi.com ), but be aware of a big limitation of the Raspberry. Right now, as far as I am aware, it has problems with high resolution files (such as 192kHz/24bit). This is due to a limitation of the USB-port: as far as I understood, they are using the port internally for more that USB-bound communication, so you end up with stuttering audio.
- There is also the chance to use PCM out over the HDMI-port. Right now, this is limited to 48kHz/16bit, so: HighEnd-audio is not possible at the moment over HDMI. The current kernel does not support HiRes.

Right now, my Raspberry Pi has the followinig configuration:
- MinimServer -> via LAN or WiFi -> uPnPstreaming client
- MPD ("Media Player Deamon" -> PCM out via HDMI -> AV Receiver
- Shairplay (Raspberry as an Airplay-"receiver") -> PCM out via HDMI -> AV Receiver
Music is stored on a 1TB USB HDD. That's it, a small footprint solution ;-)

Feel free to ask any questions, if you are interested
03-09-2013, 02:12
(02-09-2013 07:29)wappinghigh Wrote:  ? Would this work???
http://www.sonore.us/index8.html
"This" is the Sonore Sonic Orbiter. It does do ethernet to USB conversion, but it is also a server built around Logitech Music Server software. I am not willing to give up the flexibility that MinimServer gives for searching on my custom FLAC tags. Jesus from Sonore pointed out that LMS has a plugin that allows it to [not sure of the right word] access? play? pass through? other DLNA-compliant servers. I played with this a little bit and it does seem to work, but is still a bit odd for my taste.