Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playlist creator?
31-08-2013, 20:48
Playlist creator?
Hi Simon,

I am trying to create playlists on the PC and save them to my music folder on the NAS so they can be read by Minimserver. I have tried the various options in the playlist creator (the one you recommended in a previous thread) but to no avail. The playlists I am trying to create are for tracks from different folders. I am saving the playlist to the root of my music folder. Where am I going wrong? Cheers, Bill.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-08-2013, 20:59
RE: Playlist creator?
(31-08-2013 20:48)Billzab Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I am trying to create playlists on the PC and save them to my music folder on the NAS so they can be read by Minimserver. I have tried the various options in the playlist creator (the one you recommended in a previous thread) but to no avail. The playlists I am trying to create are for tracks from different folders. I am saving the playlist to the root of my music folder. Where am I going wrong? Cheers, Bill.

When you create playlists in Windows for a Linux-based NAS, you have to consider the following three points:

1) MinimServer can only read m3u and m3u8 playlists.
2) The playlists must contain relative paths instead of absolute paths.
3) The paths in the playlist file must contain the Linux file separator '/' instead of the Windows file separator '\'.
31-08-2013, 21:43
(31-08-2013 20:59)winxi Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 20:48)Billzab Wrote:  Hi Simon,

When you create playlists in Windows for a Linux-based NAS, you have to consider the following three points:

1) MinimServer can only read m3u and m3u8 playlists.
2) The playlists must contain relative paths instead of absolute paths.
3) The paths in the playlist file must contain the Linux file separator '/' instead of the Windows file separator '\'.

Thanks for the reply. In the playlist creator program, I have selected m3u as the file type, I have selected the relative paths option and the correct file separator, but still no joy. The playlist shows up OK in Minimserver but it contains no tracks. Can't seem to find any other option that I can try.
Bill.
31-08-2013, 21:47
(31-08-2013 21:43)Billzab Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. In the playlist creator program, I have selected m3u as the file type, I have selected the relative paths option and the correct file separator, but still no joy. The playlist shows up OK in Minimserver but it contains no tracks. Can't seem to find any other option that I can try.
Bill.

Please open your playlist file in a text editor and verify that it contains correct paths relative to the location of the playlist file itself and that the paths contain the Linux file separator '/'.
01-09-2013, 11:32
(31-08-2013 21:47)winxi Wrote:  
(31-08-2013 21:43)Billzab Wrote:  Thanks for the reply. In the playlist creator program, I have selected m3u as the file type, I have selected the relative paths option and the correct file separator, but still no joy. The playlist shows up OK in Minimserver but it contains no tracks. Can't seem to find any other option that I can try.
Bill.

Please open your playlist file in a text editor and verify that it contains correct paths relative to the location of the playlist file itself and that the paths contain the Linux file separator '/'.

Checked the playlist in notepad and each track has the correct path although it does contain the drive letter and the main folder like this: x:/Music/Albums/Meatloaf/Bat Out of Hell.flac. The playlist is saved in the root of the Music folder. I would not have thought I neede the drive letter but I can't change this using the relative option in the playlist creator program.

Bill.
01-09-2013, 12:09 (This post was last modified: 01-09-2013 12:17 by winxi.)
(01-09-2013 11:32)Billzab Wrote:  Checked the playlist in notepad and each track has the correct path although it does contain the drive letter and the main folder like this: x:/Music/Albums/Meatloaf/Bat Out of Hell.flac.

This are absolute paths and not relative paths. When you manually remove 'x:/' from each path and store the playlist file in the same directory where the 'Music' folder is, MinimServer will recognize the playlist tracks.

Quote:The playlist is saved in the root of the Music folder. I would not have thought I neede the drive letter but I can't change this using the relative option in the playlist creator program.

I'm not familiar with the 'Playlist creator'. I suggest to ask their support why the playlists contain absolute paths when the relative option is checked.
01-09-2013, 12:15
(01-09-2013 12:09)winxi Wrote:  
(01-09-2013 11:32)Billzab Wrote:  Checked the playlist in notepad and each track has the correct path although it does contain the drive letter and the main folder like this: x:/Music/Albums/Meatloaf/Bat Out of Hell.flac.

This are absolute paths and not relative paths. When you manually remove 'x:/' from each path and store the playlist file in the same directory where the 'Music' folder is, MinimServer will recognize the playlist tracks.

Quote:The playlist is saved in the root of the Music folder. I would not have thought I neede the drive letter but I can't change this using the relative option in the playlist creator program.

I'm not familiar with the 'Playlist creator'. I suggest to ask their support why the playlists contain absolute paths when the relative option is checked.

I have manually removed the drive and root folder and the playlist tracks are recognised OK. It woul appear that it is impossible to get this 'PlalistCreator' program to write the correct information using the options contained in the program. It would be too much hassle to create playlist manually with a text editor, so does anyone know of a program that can create playlists that can be read by Minimserver? Cheers, Bill.
01-09-2013, 12:20
(01-09-2013 12:15)Billzab Wrote:  I have manually removed the drive and root folder and the playlist tracks are recognised OK. It woul appear that it is impossible to get this 'PlalistCreator' program to write the correct information using the options contained in the program. It would be too much hassle to create playlist manually with a text editor, so does anyone know of a program that can create playlists that can be read by Minimserver? Cheers, Bill.

I suppose that 'x:' is the drive for the network share you see in Windows. Please make sure that you save the playlist with the 'Playlist creator' directly to the location on the network share, i.e. to 'x:\'. When you save it to an other drive (e.g. to the local drive c:\) and manually copy the playlist file to x:\, the 'Playlist creator' will not be able to apply relative paths.

If this still doesn't work, you can remove all 'x:/' instances in a playlist file with an advanced text editor, e.g. notepad++.

I use winamp to create my playlists. However, winamp does not provide an option for Linux file separators. So, I've to manually replace all '\' with '/'.
01-09-2013, 14:12
Thanks for your help. It's a pity there is not a program out there that will create playlists for mapped NAS drives.
01-09-2013, 14:20
(01-09-2013 14:12)Billzab Wrote:  Thanks for your help. It's a pity there is not a program out there that will create playlists for mapped NAS drives.

I've just tried the 'Playlist creator' from this site: http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

In the 'Playlist Details' settings I've chosen to use relative paths and to use '/' instead of '\'. This gives me correct result.
Please note (as written above) that you have to save the playlist directly to network share (x:\ in your case) to get relative paths.