Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Feature request: clear cache on next restart
06-10-2013, 22:20
RE: Feature request: clear cache on next restart
(06-10-2013 22:01)haggis999 Wrote:  MinimServer and MinimWatch are, of course, very closely related and the functionality this combination provides is unquestionably clever. However, just as with my television, I continue to think of the remote control as being a separate beast from the thing being controlled - but I can't get too excited about this matter. It is only a minor issue.

MinimServer contains MinimWatch to control its own instance only.
Your TV may have a few hardware buttons on its housing but most likely your TV does not contain a fully functional built in remote control Smile

Quote:The primary advantage of this as I see it would be to emphasise that local and remote instances behave in different ways, with a key difference being that the default file location for settings such as writeAllTags is on another machine for MinimWatch.

In fact, all local and remote instances behave in the same way. One has to specify the file paths for these settings considering the machine the instance is running on.

Quote:I have just found that changing the displayName setting on MinimWatch does not change the associated tooltip. It only changes the name of the related MinimServer instance as shown by a control point such as BubbleUPnP. What you actually get as a tooltip for MinimWatch is just the default value of 'MinimServer[<Host name>]'

I think you have to exit/restart MinimWatch to make the new displayName visible in the tool tip.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2013, 23:01 (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 23:02 by simoncn.)
(06-10-2013 22:20)winxi Wrote:  In fact, all local and remote instances behave in the same way. One has to specify the file paths for these settings considering the machine the instance is running on.

This is the key point. The behaviour of each MinimServer instance is identical when viewed through a local UI (if this is available) and when viewed remotely through MinimWatch.
06-10-2013, 23:31
(06-10-2013 22:20)winxi Wrote:  In fact, all local and remote instances behave in the same way. One has to specify the file paths for these settings considering the machine the instance is running on.

I take your point but I shouldn't have referred to 'instances'. What I really meant was that these two apps running on my Windows PC (MinimWatch and MinimServer) do not behave in a similar manner with regard to default file paths. That is not something that all users will intuitively understand without some guidance.

Quote:I think you have to exit/restart MinimWatch to make the new displayName visible in the tool tip.

That did indeed sort the problem. Thanks for that information. I had only been doing a Restart on MinimWatch, as that's all that MinimServer requires - another example of what I view as different behaviour of these two apps ...

I think we will just have to agree to disagree on the nature of MinimWatch! You view it as an extension of MinimServer and are relaxed about the lack of any obvious distinctions between the apps, while I view MinimWatch as simply a remote control app that one should expect would act differently from a local installation of MinimServer (as it does) and thus deserves a more distinctive appearance.

Both views probably have equal validity but I'm not really expecting Simon to make any changes Smile

David