Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problem using network attached drive
27-01-2012, 14:50
Problem using network attached drive
Running on Win7. When attempting to set the contentDir to a network attached drive, I am getting the error 'problem writing output cache file cache2.data'

Works OK setting contentDir to a local directory

I do have write access to the specified network attached drive
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2012, 20:07
RE: Problem using network attached drive
(27-01-2012 14:50)Cindercone Wrote:  Running on Win7. When attempting to set the contentDir to a network attached drive, I am getting the error 'problem writing output cache file cache2.data'

Works OK setting contentDir to a local directory

I do have write access to the specified network attached drive

I suspect there is some problem that MinimServer has found (or thinks it has found) with the files on the network drive. Running with contentDir set to a network drive that's accessed through a normal Windows drive letter shouldn't cause any problems, although startup might be quite slow. When the cache file has been written successfully, startup speed will improve quite a bit, though it will never be as fast as running with contentDir on a local drive.

To solve this, I'll need to add some extra diagnostics to the code that writes the cache file and put a new version of minimserver.jar in the minimserver.com/download directory for you to try. When I've done this, I'll post to this thread with instructions for how to use the updated minimserver.jar to get the diagnostic information.
29-01-2012, 20:04
The new version of minimserver.jar with extra diagnostics is available now at this link.

Please download this file and make sure MinimServer isn't running. Copy the downloaded file to
C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib\minimserver.jar
(or your chosen installation directory if this is different), overwriting the original version of the minimserver.jar file.

Now launch MinimServer. You should get the same error as before, but this time there will be additional diagnostics in the file
C:\ProgramData\MinimServer\minimserver.log

Note: It's hard to view the C:\ProgramData folder in Windows Explorer. You need to do the following:
1. Open Explorer and point it to the C:\ folder.
2. The Address bar will show something like "> Computer > Windows7 (C: ) >". Click to the right of the last ">". (Note: ">" is a sold triangle, and "Windows7" is whatever you've called your C: partition.)
3. The Address bar will change to C:\. Overtype this with C:\ProgramData and press enter. Note that there's no space in ProgramData.
4. You'll now see the contents of C:\ProgramData displayed in the right-hand pane, though it still won't appear in the left-hand pane. From the right-hand pane you can navigate to C:\ProgramData\MinimServer.

Please post the minimserver.log file here as an attachment. This should help me to narrow down what's going wrong.

Many thanks for your help!

Simon
31-01-2012, 11:41
(29-01-2012 20:04)simoncn Wrote:  The new version of minimserver.jar with extra diagnostics is available now at this link.

Please download this file and make sure MinimServer isn't running. Copy the downloaded file to
C:\Program Files\MinimServer\lib\minimserver.jar
(or your chosen installation directory if this is different), overwriting the original version of the minimserver.jar file.

Now launch MinimServer. You should get the same error as before, but this time there will be additional diagnostics in the file
C:\ProgramData\MinimServer\minimserver.log

Note: It's hard to view the C:\ProgramData folder in Windows Explorer. You need to do the following:
1. Open Explorer and point it to the C:\ folder.
2. The Address bar will show something like "> Computer > Windows7 (C: ) >". Click to the right of the last ">". (Note: ">" is a sold triangle, and "Windows7" is whatever you've called your C: partition.)
3. The Address bar will change to C:\. Overtype this with C:\ProgramData and press enter. Note that there's no space in ProgramData.
4. You'll now see the contents of C:\ProgramData displayed in the right-hand pane, though it still won't appear in the left-hand pane. From the right-hand pane you can navigate to C:\ProgramData\MinimServer.

Please post the minimserver.log file here as an attachment. This should help me to narrow down what's going wrong.

Many thanks for your help!

Simon

I've found a problem that would cause this error. It's caused by a very long tag value (probably an album art image incorrectly encoded as a tag value) in an audio file.

The next release of MinimServer will produce a better diagnostic that lists both the filename and the bad tag. It will also skip the bad file and continue, instead of failing to start.