Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very happy new user!
28-06-2013, 10:00
Very happy new user!
Hi Simon.

I've been using MinimServer 0.72 for streaming music for a few weeks now and just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with your baby.

I checked out several competitors and found the features/functions/support and particularly the documentation of Minimserver to be miles ahead in many respects.

The complete installation took less than 15 mins including registering for and downloading Oracle EJRE. Everything has worked perfectly for me so far.

Just in case anyone's interested this is my system:

iMac (10.6.8) running XLD (version 20130602) and Metadatics (version 1.2) for CD ripping and tag editing
ReadyNAS Duo v2. RAIDiator 5.3.8

Renderers tried so far:
Naim NDX firmware 3.20. Controlled by n-stream
iPad 3 8Player
iPod 8Playerlite (i.e. the free version)
Samsung F-Series TV

n-Stream works well with no issues except that you do have to clear it's cache manually following music library updates. If you don't then albums can appear out of sync i.e. when you select an album you can get the album art etc. for a completely different album... This is clearly down to Naim to sort out.

Both 8players work really well. I was surprised how good they are given the poor quality of many players. In contrast to n-stream 8player tells you if there is a problem following a music library update.

There are issues with track ordering on the Samsung TV - tracks are always listed alphabetically in both tag view and folder view. I'm sure this is a client issue and to be honest I don't really care as I only use it only for occasional listening.

Thanks to all your hard work my introduction to streaming has been almost completely painless!

Philip
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-06-2013, 10:12
RE: Very happy new user!
(28-06-2013 10:00)PhilP Wrote:  Hi Simon.

I've been using MinimServer 0.72 for streaming music for a few weeks now and just wanted to let you know how impressed I am with your baby.

I checked out several competitors and found the features/functions/support and particularly the documentation of Minimserver to be miles ahead in many respects.

The complete installation took less than 15 mins including registering for and downloading Oracle EJRE. Everything has worked perfectly for me so far.

Just in case anyone's interested this is my system:

iMac (10.6.8) running XLD (version 20130602) and Metadatics (version 1.2) for CD ripping and tag editing
ReadyNAS Duo v2. RAIDiator 5.3.8

Renderers tried so far:
Naim NDX firmware 3.20. Controlled by n-stream
iPad 3 8Player
iPod 8Playerlite (i.e. the free version)
Samsung F-Series TV

n-Stream works well with no issues except that you do have to clear it's cache manually following music library updates. If you don't then albums can appear out of sync i.e. when you select an album you can get the album art etc. for a completely different album... This is clearly down to Naim to sort out.

Both 8players work really well. I was surprised how good they are given the poor quality of many players. In contrast to n-stream 8player tells you if there is a problem following a music library update.

There are issues with track ordering on the Samsung TV - tracks are always listed alphabetically in both tag view and folder view. I'm sure this is a client issue and to be honest I don't really care as I only use it only for occasional listening.

Thanks to all your hard work my introduction to streaming has been almost completely painless!

Philip

Thanks very much! It is very nice to get positive feedback like this.

The track ordering issue is almost certainly caused by the client resorting the track list it has received from MinimServer. This is a known issue with some clients.
29-06-2013, 08:38
RE: Very happy new user!
Yep. MinimServer is Awesome alright. The Swiss army knife of music servers.. Smile