Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist
15-09-2022, 21:39 (This post was last modified: 15-09-2022 22:03 by pask.)
RE: Displaying Albums where Artist is AlbumArtist and also Trackartist
(15-09-2022 20:50)simoncn Wrote:  To do what you want, you should remove Artist from indexTags and add AlbumArtist instead. You can then browse by AlbumArtist (Miles Davis) followed by All Artists (Miles Davis). You should not need to use the merge option.

Thanks Simon
No, doesn't work. I don't get all albums a musicien is playing on, whatever he is albumartist or all artist.

the only method so far is to use Artist.merge={Albumartist} where I can, by browsing through all artist, get the expected result: all albums a musician is playing on. I was looking for the same result, but by browsing by Artist (albumartist tag), which I found way more practical since the list is shorter)

I guess I can't ask the server to give me a final result of datas I have excluded during the browsing process

hope I made myself clear Angel
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2022, 22:07
(15-09-2022 21:05)pask Wrote:  got it.
Artist.merge={Albumartist}
not the perfect solution, but at least, I can get all albums one artist is playing on (whatever albumartist or track artist)

Glad it worked.
16-09-2022, 12:50
(15-09-2022 21:39)pask Wrote:  Thanks Simon
No, doesn't work. I don't get all albums a musicien is playing on, whatever he is albumartist or all artist.

I understand (now) what you want:
1) Create a list of artists matching AlbumArtist tags only
2) For each artist in the list, filter the selection using both the AlbumArtist and Artist tags

As others have said, this isn't possible because each browsing step filters out all non-matching items for the tag shown in the index.
16-09-2022, 16:22 (This post was last modified: 16-09-2022 19:40 by simbun.)
(15-09-2022 21:39)pask Wrote:  the only method so far is to use Artist.merge={Albumartist} where I can, by browsing through all artist, get the expected result: all albums a musician is playing on. I was looking for the same result, but by browsing by Artist (albumartist tag), which I found way more practical since the list is shorter)
If you can get a distinct list of your Album Artist values then you can build a tagUpdate script that would generate a new tag containing just those Artists but that would return not only the tracks from the Albums they own, but also the tracks that they appeared on, something like:
Code:
@ARTIST=Adele
+ARTISTALL=Adele
@ARTIST=Elton John
+ARTISTALL=Elton John
This alone will build an index containing just artists in the AlbumArtist tag but will return the tracks they're listed as Artists on.

To also include ALL tracks of albums they are the AlbumArtist on, use:
Code:
tagValue: ArtistAll.merge={AlbumArtist}

I use foobar so it's painless to get this list but YMMV.
Obviously it'll need updating as your collection grows.
17-09-2022, 09:10 (This post was last modified: 17-09-2022 09:17 by pask.)
Hi Simbun,

Interesting approach. Looks exactly what I'm looking for, browsing my library by AlbumArtist (or similar tag), and get all albums they are tagged on (AlbumArtist or TrackArtist)
I Don't know how I can get a script to generate this list. It seems too crazy to manually write it with 1200 TrackArtist unfortunately.

Displaying albums from Album Artist, and then Track Artist is a great feature I enjoy using with Audirvana software, but I much prefer using Minimserver and his smart browsing method to play music from my NAS to my streamer without a Mac in between.
Thanks
17-09-2022, 09:31 (This post was last modified: 17-09-2022 09:34 by simbun.)
(17-09-2022 09:10)pask Wrote:  Interesting approach. Looks exactly what I'm looking for, browsing my library by AlbumArtist (or similar tag), and get all albums they are tagged on (AlbumArtist or TrackArtist)
I Don't know how I can get a script to generate this list. It seems too crazy to manually write it with 1200 TrackArtist unfortunately.
Hi pask,

Do you have 1200 AlbumArtist values, as that's the list you need to generate not Track Artist.

If you use Mp3tag you could load your collection up, then run an export script with:
Code:
$ filename(D:\downloads\tagUpdate.txt,utf-16)
$ loop(%albumartist%,1)@ARTIST=%albumartist%
+ARTISTALL=%albumartist%
$ loopend()
NOTE: I've had to add a space after the $ in the above code in order for it to submit, so you'll need to remove those.
Obviously change the location to wherever you want.

If not Mp3Tag, I could probably do it in foobar, or maybe you could just generate it from your music folder structure.

Might be worth trying it for a handful of AlbumArtists before you delve any deeper just to make sure it's what you want.

Just in case you don't know (as you've been saying "Artist (Album Arist)"), the "Artist" index uses the AlbumArtist tag by default, but will use the Artist tag where there are missing AlbumArtist values. I always have AlbumArtist values populated so it wouldn't make any difference, but it might be worth using the AlbumArtist index instead just so it's explicit (you can always rename it to Artist if you want).

EDIT: Just reread your post and you stated you're on a mac....Do you have a folder structure that includes AlbumArtist, and are you capable on the command line? I don't know anything about the mac to know what software is on there.
17-09-2022, 10:03
Quote:Do you have 1200 AlbumArtist values, as that's the list you need to generate not Track Artist.

Around 600 AlbumArtist, which is why I prefer to browse my library by this tag (after selecting a genre)

Quote:If you use Mp3tag you could load your collection up, then run an export script with:
Code:
$ filename(D:\downloads\tagUpdate.txt,utf-16)
$ loop(%albumartist%,1)@ARTIST=%albumartist%
+ARTISTALL=%albumartist%
$ loopend()
NOTE: I've had to add a space after the $ in the above code in order for it to submit, so you'll need to remove those.
Obviously change the location to wherever you want.

I'm using Metadatics, great tool but doesn't seems to provide export scripts. I might give Mp3tag a chance then, or see what I can get with foobar Smile thanks for the script, I'll investigate this direction.

Quote:Just in case you don't know (as you've been saying "Artist (Album Arist)"), the "Artist" index uses the AlbumArtist tag by default, but will use the Artist tag where there are missing AlbumArtist values. I always have AlbumArtist values populated so it wouldn't make any difference, but it might be worth using the AlbumArtist index instead just so it's explicit (you can always rename it to Artist if you want).

Yep, got it. Sorry if I've been mixing denominations on previous messages but I'm clear with the role of each Smile

Quote:EDIT: Just reread your post and you stated you're on a mac....Do you have a folder structure that includes AlbumArtist, and are you capable on the command line? I don't know anything about the mac to know what software is on there.

i do, but I wouldn't trust it to make any rules.

Most of my files are well documented, some have 3 to 8 musicians tagged on Trackartist. I always make sure to document the Albumartist in that scenario to avoid all TrackArtist to show up on my Artist browsing list, the goal is to make it as short as possible.

TrackArtist is useful for me since Jazz is mixing lot of musicians and I love to know that one musician, while having his own albums as a leader, is also collaborating with other musicians. This is after all one great add-on of dematerialized medias.

Thanks again Smile