Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why interpretor instead of author in a play-list?
26-08-2022, 21:54
RE: Why interpretor instead of author in a play-list?
I have looked at what Windows Media Server is doing. It appears that it doesn't send genre information with each track as specified in the UPnP standard but instead provides genre information using a special folder.

I am unable to test with HEOS. From what I have seen, I suspect HEOS is making assumptions about genre information that are specific to the nonstandard approach that Windows Media Server is using. Have you found any servers apart from Windows Media Server that show correct information in the HEOS Genres folder?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2022, 22:55
(26-08-2022 21:54)simoncn Wrote:  I have looked at what Windows Media Server is doing. It appears that it doesn't send genre information with each track as specified in the UPnP standard but instead provides genre information using a special folder.

I am unable to test with HEOS. From what I have seen, I suspect HEOS is making assumptions about genre information that are specific to the nonstandard approach that Windows Media Server is using. Have you found any servers apart from Windows Media Server that show correct information in the HEOS Genres folder?

Hi @simoncn,

You'd previously looked at the HEOS genre issue with me and concluded:
(05-03-2022 21:32)simoncn Wrote:  The empty genres list problem is caused by a current limitation of MinimServer. This limitation could be removed with a moderate amount of work. This is not a very high priority because 1) as far as I know it doesn't affect any other control points except for the HEOS app and 2) because of this it would not be easy for me to test the new code.
27-08-2022, 09:22
Also, I think I tried the same "roleTags={}" as you suggested above to get Track Artist working in Various Artist albums (I only know this because I submitted a post to another forum), but it didn't work for non Various Artists albums i.e. Track Artist wasn't displayed when it differed to Album Artist for albums where Album Artist wasn't Various Artists.

It's possible I didn't use "roleTags={}" as I don't have it documented anywhere, but the trace was the same.
27-08-2022, 11:08
I tried the UPnP Search command from the log in your previous post with Windows Media Server. It returns a list of genre containers which presumably correspond to the genres that HEOS shows in its Genres container.

This UPnP Search command also works with Asset UPnP. It is not currently supported by MinimServer although other UPnP Search commands are supported. I will add this to the list of new features to be evaluated for inclusion in a future version of MinimServer.

Regarding the Track Artist issue, there is no special treatment in MinimServer for an AlbumArtist value of Various Artists. If you have observed different results with this, is possible that HEOS might be treating this value specially.

The settings for the upnpCustom property are not documented because the correct settings will vary depending on which control point is used and exactly how the control point implements the UPnP network protocol. For the great majority of control points, this property should not be set because setting it will cause problems. Getting this right requires expert advice and this is best provided via the MinimServer forum.
27-08-2022, 11:47 (This post was last modified: 27-08-2022 11:48 by simbun.)
(27-08-2022 11:08)simoncn Wrote:  This UPnP Search command also works with Asset UPnP. It is not currently supported by MinimServer although other UPnP Search commands are supported. I will add this to the list of new features to be evaluated for inclusion in a future version of MinimServer.
I was really just reminding you that you'd looked into this before, as I have no vested interest in getting this working in HEOS, especially as the HEOS browse hierarchy is so inferior to MinimServer and the control point is a shadow of BubbleUPnP.

(27-08-2022 11:08)simoncn Wrote:  Regarding the Track Artist issue, there is no special treatment in MinimServer for an AlbumArtist value of Various Artists. If you have observed different results with this, is possible that HEOS might be treating this value specially.
Given I don't have a Compilation flag my assumption was that HEOS was tailoring the display based on 'Various Artists' - although would be interesting to see if @Hagu sees the same thing.

It's a shame that they don't invest a little time in their control point as it's one of the only proprietary systems that can use UPnP servers as the back end. I wish BluOS did!
27-08-2022, 14:12 (This post was last modified: 27-08-2022 16:05 by Hagu.)
Ufff, my English is not the best, I try to explain what I do:

Tagging:
I decribe how I tag my files:
Album with only one Artist -> Artist for the different tracks, no AbumArtist
Album with varios Artists -> differnet Artists for the tracks and one AlbumArtist for all tracks together

e.g. the CD "featuring" from Norah Jones
There are different artists together with Norah at each track (Norah Jones feat. XYZ)
So I put Norah Jones additionally in the AlbumArtist tag.
Then I have "Norah Jones" with the Album and "Norah Jones feat. XYZ" with the tracks.

In case of a compilation of musicians I write something like "Irish musicians" in the AlbumArtist tag.
Or in case of a label like Putumayo, I can search for all the worldmusic compilations from this label when i put it in the AlbumArtist tag.

Thats perfect for me - and with "roleTags={}" it works with the MinimServer as well.

HEOS:
I use the grouping funtionality of the diffrent Denon/Maranz components in our house, this is only possible with HEOS.
So first of all I tried to use HEOS with my Synology NAS and the checked the Synology Media Server.
The Synology Media Server works but without a search funktion.
That search is possible I found out, when I turned on the Media Server of Windows for experiment.
Then I installed Minimserver on the Synology NAS and it works nearly perfect - expect of the Genres (AlbumArtist probems are solved for me)
Denon/Maranz is one of the bigest HiFi producers, so I think it whould be useful to solve this problem.

Quote:Have you found any servers apart from Windows Media Server that show correct information in the HEOS Genres folder?

I would like to test other servers, but I don't know which ones
27-08-2022, 14:42 (This post was last modified: 27-08-2022 14:44 by simoncn.)
(27-08-2022 11:47)simbun Wrote:  I was really just reminding you that you'd looked into this before, as I have no vested interest in getting this working in HEOS, especially as the HEOS browse hierarchy is so inferior to MinimServer and the control point is a shadow of BubbleUPnP.

I understand and I appreciate the reminder, which has saved me a bit of time now. Removing this limitation will save me time in the future (as well as helping some users) because the question won't be asked again. Smile
27-08-2022, 21:54
(27-08-2022 14:12)Hagu Wrote:  Ufff, my English is not the best, I try to explain what I do:

Tagging:
I decribe how I tag my files:
Album with only one Artist -> Artist for the different tracks, no AbumArtist
Album with varios Artists -> differnet Artists for the tracks and one AlbumArtist for all tracks together

Your English is excellent. I do the same but sometimes I populate AlbumArtist to be the same as Artist if the Artist is the same for all tracks.

Quote:HEOS:
I use the grouping funtionality of the diffrent Denon/Maranz components in our house, this is only possible with HEOS.
So first of all I tried to use HEOS with my Synology NAS and the checked the Synology Media Server.
The Synology Media Server works but without a search funktion.
That search is possible I found out, when I turned on the Media Server of Windows for experiment.
Then I installed Minimserver on the Synology NAS and it works nearly perfect - expect of the Genres (AlbumArtist probems are solved for me)
Denon/Maranz is one of the bigest HiFi producers, so I think it whould be useful to solve this problem.

All this makes sense to me. I hope to have a solution for MinimServer soon.