Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Installation Problems
10-05-2012, 09:44
Installation Problems
Dear Simon,
I normally use Twonky on QNAP TS239ProII. After having read positive reports on the Linn forum I decided also to install MinimServer.

Installation of MinimServer on my QNAP using the QPKG went well. I then installed MinimServer on my laptop (running Windows 7). During the installation of MinimServer, I was prompted to browse to and select the folder containing the music on my QNAP (M:\Muziek). Installation appeared to be going well. However, having started MinimServer, the icon turned red displaying the error message “string index out of range: 1953785618”.

I then checked the forum for possible solutions. I read the thread on folder names and checked directly on the QNAP what folder is used. This was different on what was selected during the initial installation. Using FileZilla I followed the path on the QNAP and this showed: /share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Muziek.

I entered that path in the ContentDir field in the Propertied window and clicked Apply. I got the error message: “Must be a directory; correct highlighted value and retry”.

This makes no sense to me, as this is the folder the music stored!
Your help is much appreciated.

Regards, Herman
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-05-2012, 10:29
RE: Installation Problems
If you've got MinimServer installled on the QNAP, you shouldn't be running MinimServer on your Windows laptop as well. Instead you need to run MinimWatch on your laptop to complete the setup of MinimServer on the QNAP. MinimWatch is part of the MinimServer installation package.

When you start MinimWatch on your laptop, you should see a white minim icon. If you see a grey minim icon instead, use the QNAP QPKG Admin page to disable and re-enable MinimServer.

When you see the white minim icon, select Properties and set the contentDir field to /share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Muziek. Press OK to save this value, then select Restart. You should see the minim icon turn yellow and after a short time change to green. When the minim icon shows green, MinimServer on the QNAP is ready to be used.
10-05-2012, 12:41
Simon,
I deleted MininServer from the laptop. I removed and reinstalled the QPKG on the Qnap. On the QNAP centre installed page, a MinimServer icon appears. However, I do not get a pop-up when I select the MinimServer Icon. I do have an enable/disable link. When I click enable the icon turns green...

FYI, I am using Qnap firmware 3.6.1 Build 0302T.

Hope you can help me.

Herman
10-05-2012, 13:48
(10-05-2012 12:41)hgreuter Wrote:  Simon,
I deleted MininServer from the laptop. I removed and reinstalled the QPKG on the Qnap. On the QNAP centre installed page, a MinimServer icon appears. However, I do not get a pop-up when I select the MinimServer Icon. I do have an enable/disable link. When I click enable the icon turns green...

FYI, I am using Qnap firmware 3.6.1 Build 0302T.

Hope you can help me.

Herman

Hi Herman,
As I said in my previous reply, you need to run MinimWatch on the laptop as well as running MinimServer on the QNAP. So you need to reinstall the MinimServer package on the laptop and start the MinimWatch program (not the MinimServer program) on the laptop.

When you start MinimWatch on your laptop, you should see a white minim icon in the Windows system tray. If you see a grey minim icon instead in the Windows system tray, use the QNAP QPKG Admin page to disable and re-enable MinimServer.

When you see the white minim icon in the Windows system tray, right-click on this icon and select Properties. In the Properties pop-up, set the contentDir field to /share/MD0_DATA/Multimedia/Muziek. Press OK to save this value, then right-click on the white minim icon in the Windows system tray and select Restart. You should see the minim icon in the Windows system tray change colour to yellow. After a short time it should change colour again to green. (This is not the same green icon as the green icon you can see on the QNAP QPKG Admin page.) When the minim icon in the Windows system tray shows green, MinimServer on the QNAP is fuly installed and started, and is ready to be used.

Simon
10-05-2012, 17:00
Simon,

Somehow, my system didn't show the icons after installation. I went to the MinimServer directory and there I found the MinimWatch program. I started MiniWatch and saw a grey icon appear. After disabling/enabling the QNAP Qpkg, as you suggested, the icon remains grey. I have cycled the QPKG many times. The icon initially turns yellow indicating MinimServer is started, but then turns grey again. Suggestions?

Herman
10-05-2012, 17:45
(10-05-2012 17:00)hgreuter Wrote:  Simon,

Somehow, my system didn't show the icons after installation. I went to the MinimServer directory and there I found the MinimWatch program. I started MiniWatch and saw a grey icon appear. After disabling/enabling the QNAP Qpkg, as you suggested, the icon remains grey. I have cycled the QPKG many times. The icon initially turns yellow indicating MinimServer is started, but then turns grey again. Suggestions?

Herman

This means that MinimServer has crashed while scanning your files. I'll send you a PM with more information on what to do next.
11-05-2012, 10:12
(10-05-2012 17:45)simoncn Wrote:  
(10-05-2012 17:00)hgreuter Wrote:  Simon,

Herman

This means that MinimServer has crashed while scanning your files. I'll send you a PM with more information on what to do next.

Simon,
Thank you for your support.
Herman
27-05-2012, 10:38
After hand and shoulder surgery is done and my mind is open for new things, I tried to install MinimServer on my QNAP 109. I followed the instructions, but when installing the JRE QPKG it only goes to 50% and then nothing more happens.
27-05-2012, 12:52 (This post was last modified: 27-05-2012 12:54 by simoncn.)
Hi Dieter,
I hope your surgery was successful and you're making a good recovery.

A couple of questions/suggestions about the JRE installation:

1) Did you copy the .tar.gz file for the Oracle ARM JRE to the Public share of your NAS before installing the JRE QPKG, without unpacking the .tar.gz file? Some browsers automatically unpack the .tar.gz file when they download it.

2) Which version of the JRE QPKG did you use? There are two versions of this QPKG: a JRE6 version and a JRE7 version. You should use the JRE7 QPKG version, which is capable of installing either the JRE6 or JRE7 .tar.gz file.

Simon
27-05-2012, 14:53
(27-05-2012 12:52)simoncn Wrote:  I hope your surgery was successful and you're making a good recovery.

Thank you, ervery thing worked well.

(27-05-2012 12:52)simoncn Wrote:  1) Did you copy the .tar.gz file for the Oracle ARM JRE to the Public share of your NAS before installing the JRE QPKG, without unpacking the .tar.gz file? Some browsers automatically unpack the .tar.gz file when they download it.

I tried it both ways.

(27-05-2012 12:52)simoncn Wrote:  2) Which version of the JRE QPKG did you use? There are two versions of this QPKG: a JRE6 version and a JRE7 version. You should use the JRE7 QPKG version, which is capable of installing either the JRE6 or JRE7 .tar.gz file.

Now I tried it with the 7 version, but it didn't work too.