Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer Vs Synology DS audio
29-05-2013, 23:26
MinimServer Vs Synology DS audio
I'm really excited by the inititaive Minimserver.
Unfortunately, my Synology NAS (becoming old) is not compatible. I'm thinking about buying a new one to test it.
I use a PS Audio PerfectWave and DS audio application.
Beyond ergonomics of Minim, is the PS audio sounds significantly better with Minim Vs Synology DS audio? Music is encoded in FLAC preferentially.

Thank you for your answers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2013, 08:32
RE: MinimServer Vs Synology DS audio
(29-05-2013 23:26)ralberge Wrote:  I'm really excited by the inititaive Minimserver.
Unfortunately, my Synology NAS (becoming old) is not compatible. I'm thinking about buying a new one to test it.
I use a PS Audio PerfectWave and DS audio application.
Beyond ergonomics of Minim, is the PS audio sounds significantly better with Minim Vs Synology DS audio? Music is encoded in FLAC preferentially.

Thank you for your answers

You might get a sound improvement from MinimServer's ability to do on-the-fly transcoding of your FLAC files to WAV. A number of people with your setup have said that they hear a difference.
30-05-2013, 09:40
But if you do not set the transcoding (which DS Audio could do as well, I think, as there is an option to transcode music), DSA and Minim will sound identical. They feed the same music, after all.
30-05-2013, 10:03
(30-05-2013 09:40)uk75 Wrote:  But if you do not set the transcoding (which DS Audio could do as well, I think, as there is an option to transcode music), DSA and Minim will sound identical. They feed the same music, after all.

I wasn't aware that DS Audio could transcode FLAC to WAV. Can DS Audio also pad 16-bit FLAC audio to 24-bit WAV data? This seems to result in a sound quality improvement in many cases.
30-05-2013, 11:37
(30-05-2013 10:03)simoncn Wrote:  
(30-05-2013 09:40)uk75 Wrote:  But if you do not set the transcoding (which DS Audio could do as well, I think, as there is an option to transcode music), DSA and Minim will sound identical. They feed the same music, after all.

I wasn't aware that DS Audio could transcode FLAC to WAV. Can DS Audio also pad 16-bit FLAC audio to 24-bit WAV data? This seems to result in a sound quality improvement in many cases.

Thank you for your answers. I use the DS audio transcoding to WAV but the brand does not communicate on the Sample Rate. I am disturb by the fact that on the screen of PerfectWave, there's always the original format.
30-05-2013, 18:45
(30-05-2013 11:37)ralberge Wrote:  Thank you for your answers. I use the DS audio transcoding to WAV but the brand does not communicate on the Sample Rate. I am disturb by the fact that on the screen of PerfectWave, there's always the original format.

If you use WAV transcoding in MinimServer, you'll see WAV as the format in the control point and renderer, not the original format.