Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DESPERATELY WANTED! Advanced UPnP search (instead of retagging)
28-05-2013, 11:27
DESPERATELY WANTED! Advanced UPnP search (instead of retagging)
In stead of using several trees I'ld welcome a more advanced way of searching my libraries.

Tedious RETAGGING to a uniform system WON'T BE NECESSARY ANYMORE.

Most of my music, almost 8000 mainly classical albums, is in three libraries, two of them accurately ripped with dbpoweramp or downloaded to flac. A considerable third library is in iTunes (non-accurate aiff).

Although I don't like the limitations Apple puts on it's users, iTunes still offers the best way of searching my music. The tagging possibilities are limited but the search possibilities are superior to climbing trees.

If you use metadata from different sources several problems appear.
-Composers and performers are often confused.
-Prokofiev, Sergei is not the same as Sergei Prokofiev.
-Especially with Russian composers names can be spelled very differently: Dmitri Schostakowitsch or Dimitri Shostakovich or any thinkable hybrid.

In iTunes I can always find what I'm looking for. iTunes searches all fields (or trees) at the same time. iTunes responds to any combination of letters that is somewhere in the name or title or whatever. When I type nsk I'll get Strawinsky, Igor; Igor Stravinsky; Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra; Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre; The Mariinsky Opera; The Orchestra of the Mariinsky etcetera. Very easy to narrow down instead of climbing several different trees to get to all the works by one composer for example.

Advanced UPnP search in Minimserver would emulate and obviate iTunes. Vive la liberation!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-05-2013, 13:04
RE: DESPERATELY WANTED! Advanced UPnP search (instead of retagging)
(28-05-2013 11:27)vithomme Wrote:  In stead of using several trees I'ld welcome a more advanced way of searching my libraries.

Tedious RETAGGING to a uniform system WON'T BE NECESSARY ANYMORE.

Most of my music, almost 8000 mainly classical albums, is in three libraries, two of them accurately ripped with dbpoweramp or downloaded to flac. A considerable third library is in iTunes (non-accurate aiff).

Although I don't like the limitations Apple puts on it's users, iTunes still offers the best way of searching my music. The tagging possibilities are limited but the search possibilities are superior to climbing trees.

If you use metadata from different sources several problems appear.
-Composers and performers are often confused.
-Prokofiev, Sergei is not the same as Sergei Prokofiev.
-Especially with Russian composers names can be spelled very differently: Dmitri Schostakowitsch or Dimitri Shostakovich or any thinkable hybrid.

In iTunes I can always find what I'm looking for. iTunes searches all fields (or trees) at the same time. iTunes responds to any combination of letters that is somewhere in the name or title or whatever. When I type nsk I'll get Strawinsky, Igor; Igor Stravinsky; Mariinsky Theatre Orchestra; Orchestra of the Mariinsky Theatre; The Mariinsky Opera; The Orchestra of the Mariinsky etcetera. Very easy to narrow down instead of climbing several different trees to get to all the works by one composer for example.

Advanced UPnP search in Minimserver would emulate and obviate iTunes. Vive la liberation!

I think tree browsing and UPnP search are both useful. I'm hoping to add support for UPnP search in a future release of MinimServer.
28-05-2013, 13:23
I think tree browsing and UPnP search are both useful. I'm hoping to add support for UPnP search in a future release of MinimServer.
[/quote]

Hello Simon, thanks for your reply. Of course I do fully agree that tree browsing is useful. I would be very happy with more features to search my music in more detail and with more chances of finding every relevant item. I'm looking forward to future upgrades of your much appreciated Minim server.
28-05-2013, 14:35 (This post was last modified: 28-05-2013 14:36 by wappinghigh.)
vithomme, I thoroughly agree with your Original Post. Smile You are spot on correct Smile
29-05-2013, 08:07
(28-05-2013 14:35)wappinghigh Wrote:  vithomme, I thoroughly agree with your Original Post. Smile You are spot on correct Smile

With what? iTunes being the best to manage a music library?? Surely not Shy
29-05-2013, 09:32
^ hahaha bbrip.. Of course not.. That we need advanced UPnP search of course! LOL!
29-05-2013, 10:30 (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 10:31 by wappinghigh.)
^ I mean vit is spot on. Let's call a spade a spade, when it's a spade........going up and down tree's is pretty tedious Smile
29-05-2013, 11:28 (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 11:29 by bbrip.)
UPnP search would indeed be very nice to have. But DESPERATELY??? - No. In the meantime LUMIN search gets better and better. Songbook Lite also has good search feature. I always find the albums I'm looking for pretty easily and I've got 8.000 of 'em as well Wink
29-05-2013, 11:29 (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 11:30 by uk75.)
[DON'T SHOUT IN HEADINGS, PLEASE] Advanced UPnP search (instead of retagging)
(29-05-2013 10:30)wappinghigh Wrote:  ^ I mean vit is spot on. Let's call a spade a spade, when it's a spade........going up and down tree's is pretty tedious Smile

Try lumin app. You can easily tap&hold one item and immediately browse for the artist or the album or the composer. Not customizable at the moment, but a very good start. Really hope that Linn add something like that to Kinsky soon. Benefit of Lumin, however, is that it caches the info, thus being much faster to display the additional info...
29-05-2013, 12:23 (This post was last modified: 29-05-2013 12:23 by bbrip.)
Yes, LUMIN is miles ahead of Kinsky and it gets constant improvement. Once the multiple artist issue is fixed, full Search&Filter, SongCasting and Radio added and we're getting close to perfect.

(Ok from there we'd still need cd-booklet support and a few other goodies but one step after the next... Wink )