Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer and Simaudio Moon
25-05-2013, 21:01
MinimServer and Simaudio Moon
Hi,

I have been using 0.64 with my Naim setup without any problems. I am currently trying a Simaudio Moon 180 streamer. Has anyone managed to get this to work successfully?

I use the MindHD app on my iPad and select the server and dont get any options at all. Only a blank screen, no artist, genre etc at all

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2013, 07:17 (This post was last modified: 26-05-2013 07:40 by simoncn.)
RE: MinimServer and Simaudio Moon
(25-05-2013 21:01)wazza69 Wrote:  Hi,

I have been using 0.64 with my Naim setup without any problems. I am currently trying a Simaudio Moon 180 streamer. Has anyone managed to get this to work successfully?

I use the MindHD app on my iPad and select the server and dont get any options at all. Only a blank screen, no artist, genre etc at all

Thanks

Please update to the current 0.72 release and let me know if you still see the same problem.

Edit: It seems that MindHD is a mind-mapping tool. How is this related to MinimServer or audio streaming?
26-05-2013, 11:41
(26-05-2013 07:17)simoncn Wrote:  
(25-05-2013 21:01)wazza69 Wrote:  Hi,

Thanks

Please update to the current 0.72 release and let me know if you still see the same problem.

Edit: It seems that MindHD is a mind-mapping tool. How is this related to MinimServer or audio streaming?

Will try the newer version. It's Moon Mind HD. It will only show if you search on a iPad

Thanks
23-06-2013, 02:01
Hi wazza69,

Did you ever get your Moon MiND working? I just bought one and am having the same problem: MinimServer appears in the list of available sources, but when I select it the rotating circle thing (that means "something in progress") appears for about a half second, then I get an empty screen (the iPad MiND app is still running, just no tracks visible).

(For those who don't know, the Simaudio Moon MiND is a box [for lack of a more sophisticated term!] that converts an ethernet stream into an AES/EBU or sip/dif output so you can connect a DAC that doesn't have a built-in ability to connect directly to ethernet. It is a solution for those who use a PS Audio PerfectWave DAC with Bridge, which does not play gapless. As a side benefit, it provides internet radio.)

I have .72 installed on a Synology DS213. I have restarted the NAS, the iPad, etc. The log shows nothing unusual. The MiND shows up in my network map with correct IP address and I can stream internet radio over it, so the connections are OK. Any help appreciated!

David
23-06-2013, 09:53
(23-06-2013 02:01)magister Wrote:  Hi wazza69,

Did you ever get your Moon MiND working? I just bought one and am having the same problem: MinimServer appears in the list of available sources, but when I select it the rotating circle thing (that means "something in progress") appears for about a half second, then I get an empty screen (the iPad MiND app is still running, just no tracks visible).

(For those who don't know, the Simaudio Moon MiND is a box [for lack of a more sophisticated term!] that converts an ethernet stream into an AES/EBU or sip/dif output so you can connect a DAC that doesn't have a built-in ability to connect directly to ethernet. It is a solution for those who use a PS Audio PerfectWave DAC with Bridge, which does not play gapless. As a side benefit, it provides internet radio.)

I have .72 installed on a Synology DS213. I have restarted the NAS, the iPad, etc. The log shows nothing unusual. The MiND shows up in my network map with correct IP address and I can stream internet radio over it, so the connections are OK. Any help appreciated!

David

Can you help me understand how the Moon MiND fits into the UPnP architecture? Is the MiND iPad app a UPnP control point and the MiND box a UPnP renderer, or is the MiND box a UPnP control point as well as a UPnP renderer?

Please can you try the following:

1) From the MinimServer log window, change the MinimServer logging level to Trace
2) Leave the log window open
3) Repeat the attempt to contact MinimSserver from the MiND iPad app

Do any trace messages appear in the log window when you do step 3?
23-06-2013, 20:18
(23-06-2013 09:53)simoncn Wrote:  Can you help me understand how the Moon MiND fits into the UPnP architecture? Is the MiND iPad app a UPnP control point and the MiND box a UPnP renderer, or is the MiND box a UPnP control point as well as a UPnP renderer?

<snip>
Do any trace messages appear in the log window when you do step 3?

Simon,

The MiND iPad is a control point, at least it looks like one to me. It offers a choice of three sources (MinimServer, my Acer laptop, and vTuner internet radio), of which only the radio is working at the moment. The MiND box is described in its manual this way: "Streaming Module Features:
UPnP Renderer (Universal Plug & Play) ● DLNA 1.5 Compatibility ● vTuner Internet Radio" and more, so I think it's a renderer. In fact, if I use the eLyric iPad control point, the MiND appears as one of the choices in the renderer list, and I can get music through it -- but no gapless. I assume that for gapless to work one would have to use the Moon app. But wait; isn't it the renderer, not the control point, that governs whether gapless is possible? I dunno. I just tried the Kinsky control point, and it has no problem playing music stored on MinimServer via the MiND, but again no gapless. If I choose Moon MiND as the "room" on Kinsky, it automatically chooses Moon MiND as a source, but lets me pick MinimServer or my laptop as the Library.

To answer your second question, there is no activity on the trace log when I try to access Minim from the MiND app.

Thanks - David
23-06-2013, 21:05
(23-06-2013 20:18)magister Wrote:  Simon,

The MiND iPad is a control point, at least it looks like one to me. It offers a choice of three sources (MinimServer, my Acer laptop, and vTuner internet radio), of which only the radio is working at the moment. The MiND box is described in its manual this way: "Streaming Module Features:
UPnP Renderer (Universal Plug & Play) ● DLNA 1.5 Compatibility ● vTuner Internet Radio" and more, so I think it's a renderer. In fact, if I use the eLyric iPad control point, the MiND appears as one of the choices in the renderer list, and I can get music through it -- but no gapless. I assume that for gapless to work one would have to use the Moon app. But wait; isn't it the renderer, not the control point, that governs whether gapless is possible? I dunno. I just tried the Kinsky control point, and it has no problem playing music stored on MinimServer via the MiND, but again no gapless. If I choose Moon MiND as the "room" on Kinsky, it automatically chooses Moon MiND as a source, but lets me pick MinimServer or my laptop as the Library.

To answer your second question, there is no activity on the trace log when I try to access Minim from the MiND app.

Thanks - David

Thanks for this information. Are you able to try any other UPnP servers with the MiND app, such as Twonky or Asset?

It is possible that the incompatibility with MinimServer is related to something in the ohNet UPnP stack. You can do the following to enable ohNet tracing to a log file:

1) Start MinimServer
2) In the Properties dialog, set the ohnet.debug property to 'All-Timer'
3) Force-quit the MiND app
4) Restart the MiND app and attempt to contact MinimServer
5) Stop MinimServer

The ohNet trace messages will be written to the minimserver.log file in the /homes/minimserver/appData directory. They won't be displayed in the log window. Please zip this log file (or compress it as .gz) and attach it to a post here.
23-06-2013, 23:01
(23-06-2013 21:05)simoncn Wrote:  Please zip this log file (or compress it as .gz) and attach it to a post here.

Here's the log.

I don't have any other servers (I discovered MinimServer shortly after getting into digital audio seriously, and have never looked back :-) . I did try PlugPlayer, which I have on my iPad but never use; it played OK through the MiND.

David

Attached File(s)
.zip  minimserver.zip (Size: 100.19 KB / Downloads: 1)
24-06-2013, 08:59
(23-06-2013 23:01)magister Wrote:  
(23-06-2013 21:05)simoncn Wrote:  Please zip this log file (or compress it as .gz) and attach it to a post here.

Here's the log.

I don't have any other servers (I discovered MinimServer shortly after getting into digital audio seriously, and have never looked back :-) . I did try PlugPlayer, which I have on my iPad but never use; it played OK through the MiND.

David

Thanks for sending this. The log covers a period from 13:40 to 16:34, and I'n not sure which portion of the log corresponds to the time when you made the attempt to contact MinimServer from the MiND app.

Also, there don't seem to be any log messages after the ohnet.debug setting was changed to All-Timer. Did you change the MinimServer logging level? The logging level setting needs to be Debug or Trace for ohNet messages to be logged.

Please can you repeat the process, using the following steps:

1) Power off the iPad
2) From the Synology Package Center, stop and restart MinimServer
3) In the MinimWatch Properties dialog, set the ohnet.debug property to 'All-Timer'
4) In the MinimWatch log window, set the logging level to Debug
5) Close the MinimWatch log window
6) Power on the iPad
7) Start the MiND app and attempt to contact MinimServer
8) From the Synology Package Center, stop MinimServer

Please post the minimserver.log file here, together with the time that you did step 7.

Many thanks!

Simon
24-06-2013, 11:30
(24-06-2013 08:59)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for sending this. The log covers a period from 13:40 to 16:34, and I'n not sure which portion of the log corresponds to the time when you made the attempt to contact MinimServer from the MiND app.

Also, there don't seem to be any log messages after the ohnet.debug setting was changed to All-Timer. Did you change the MinimServer logging level? The logging level setting needs to be Debug or Trace for ohNet messages to be logged.
Hi Simon,

The attempt to contact MinimServer from the MiND app was at the very end of the log, I think. I looked at the log before zipping it and I noticed also that there was no activity. I did change the logging level.

I am away from home for a couple of days. I will repeat the process as you requested as soon as I can, Wednesday or Thursday.

David