Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie question on DISCSUBTITLE tag usage
11-05-2013, 14:07 (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 14:09 by Rouquemoute.)
Newbie question on DISCSUBTITLE tag usage
Hi there,

I'm new here so be easy on me if my question looks trivial to gurus out there.

I chose MinimServer for its unique functionalities to highly customize indexing options and its 'dynamic browsing'.
I've got quite a big collection of rock/electro tracks in FLAC format and for a few artists (Depeche Mode, Björk...) it makes for a lot of different items.

I'd like to be able to put items in categories like this:
- Studio Albums
- Live Recordings
- Singles / Maxi-singles / EPs
- etc, you get the point

Looks like the DISCSUBTITLE tag could be doing it for me, but I need help.

- This particular tag doesn't seem to be available in JRiver, nor Mp3tag (unless I missed something). Which tagging application would you recommend?
- How should I go on about configuring MinimServer to achieve the indexing categories as above?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rouq
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 17:41
RE: Newbie question on DISCSUBTITLE tag usage
(11-05-2013 14:07)Rouquemoute Wrote:  Hi there,

I'm new here so be easy on me if my question looks trivial to gurus out there.

I chose MinimServer for its unique functionalities to highly customize indexing options and its 'dynamic browsing'.
I've got quite a big collection of rock/electro tracks in FLAC format and for a few artists (Depeche Mode, Björk...) it makes for a lot of different items.

I'd like to be able to put items in categories like this:
- Studio Albums
- Live Recordings
- Singles / Maxi-singles / EPs
- etc, you get the point

Looks like the DISCSUBTITLE tag could be doing it for me, but I need help.

- This particular tag doesn't seem to be available in JRiver, nor Mp3tag (unless I missed something). Which tagging application would you recommend?
- How should I go on about configuring MinimServer to achieve the indexing categories as above?

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Rouq

DISCSUBTITLE is used to give a name to each disc of a multi-disc album, so it wouldn't be suitable for what you want to do.

The simplest approach would be to use an existing tag such as GENRE or CONTENTGROUP (iTunes Grouping). Both of these should be supported by Mp3tag and JRiver. Alternatively, you could create a custom tag with any name of your choosing. Mp3tag supports custom tags, and it looks like JRiver does as well, though I haven't tried this.
11-05-2013, 18:02
RE: Newbie question on DISCSUBTITLE tag usage
Thanks a lot.
I'll look into your suggestion.