Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac related questions - network drive, sleep, file formats & transcoding
09-05-2013, 08:33
Mac related questions - network drive, sleep, file formats & transcoding
Hello,
I am using a mac mini as my server, and a Uniti Lite as player.
I manage my music with iTunes, the library sits on a usb external drive connected to an Airport Extreme router, acting as a network drive.
Have a few question which I couldn't find answers in the guide:

1. I tried to add the path of the music folder - /volumes/{volume name/{folder name} but couldn't get MinimServer to see it. The volume is mounted.
Is there a problem with such a setup?

2. I have a sleep timer on my mac mini, can MinimServer disable idle sleep only while serving files, not when running idle in the background?

3. If all my music is stored as AIFF, is there a point in transcoding to WAV?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-05-2013, 14:41
RE: Mac related questions - network drive, sleep, file formats & transcoding
(09-05-2013 08:33)becks Wrote:  Hello,
I am using a mac mini as my server, and a Uniti Lite as player.
I manage my music with iTunes, the library sits on a usb external drive connected to an Airport Extreme router, acting as a network drive.
Have a few question which I couldn't find answers in the guide:

1. I tried to add the path of the music folder - /volumes/{volume name/{folder name} but couldn't get MinimServer to see it. The volume is mounted.
Is there a problem with such a setup?

The best way to get the correct path is to use the dialog that comes up when you start MinimServer for the first time. For details, see the note to point 5 in the section "Installing or updating MinimServer" on this page. To get back to this dialog, delete the contents of the contentDir field, press OK, and restart MinimServer.

Quote:2. I have a sleep timer on my mac mini, can MinimServer disable idle sleep only while serving files, not when running idle in the background?

It depends on how the sleep timer works. If it's based on disk activity, it should work as you would like because MinimServer doesn't access the disk when it's running idle in the background. You are using a network drive instead of a local disk, so this might not work for you.

Quote:3. If all my music is stored as AIFF, is there a point in transcoding to WAV?

Thanks

I suggest you try both 'wav' and 'wav24' transcoding and see whether you can hear a difference compared with playing these files without transcoding.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply