Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new NAS
20-03-2021, 11:58 (This post was last modified: 20-03-2021 11:59 by lyapounov.)
RE: new NAS
By the way, this is a question for Simon: it seems that UPnP is on top of UDP. Is it right ? Meaning, when minimserver sends data from a NAS or whatever to a renderer, is it UPnP AV on top of UDP, or TCP ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
20-03-2021, 13:19
For network discovery, UPnP AV uses UDP and TCP. For audio streaming, it uses HTTP (which is a layer on top of TCP).
22-03-2021, 18:02 (This post was last modified: 22-03-2021 18:19 by simoncn.)
(20-03-2021 11:52)lyapounov Wrote:  It depends if your streaming is on top of TCP or UDP

In other terms, is there a checking of what is sent versus the original.

And case of packet loss, and you are using TCP, how many times will it ask the sender to resend the packets before exhausting the buffer ?

The operating system under which the renderer program is running will handle reading the data from the server over the network. The OS will detect errors including missing packets and retry. The OS won't pass erroneous data, the renderer program will get a read failure.
If the data gets to the renderer program it will be error free. If the data can't be read, then the renderer can only re-buffer when it has run out of data. Re-buffering isn't a subtle error, so you have no reason to worry about detecting it.

Mike

I'm sorry this reply is such a mess of quotes, but I couldn't see a simple way of improving it.
22-03-2021, 18:18
To send a message without quotes, use the large New Reply button instead of the small Reply button. Alternatively, edit your reply to remove unwanted quotes before posting it.

I will fix the mess by editing your post and removing all quotes except the last. If you think any earlier quotes should be retained, let me know by PM (not in the thread here).