Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sort by Filename
28-04-2013, 07:34
Sort by Filename
Hi,
is it possible to sort the audio files by the filename, or will it be in the near future ?
The reason I ask is that I don't always have the audio files with all the tags, and therefore get the songs ordered with the "name" tag in alphabetical order instead of the correct order. The filename instead includes the track at the beginning and therefore can give the correct order if the filename is used to sort the song, as happens with the Synology Upnp server that I'm currently using.

Many thanks.
Stefano
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 12:49
RE: Sort by Filename
(28-04-2013 07:34)sbilotta Wrote:  Hi,
is it possible to sort the audio files by the filename, or will it be in the near future ?
The reason I ask is that I don't always have the audio files with all the tags, and therefore get the songs ordered with the "name" tag in alphabetical order instead of the correct order. The filename instead includes the track at the beginning and therefore can give the correct order if the filename is used to sort the song, as happens with the Synology Upnp server that I'm currently using.

Many thanks.
Stefano

This isn't possible, and I don't think this is likely to change. To get the tracks sorted correctly, they need to have TRACKNUMBER tags. You can use Mp3tag to add these tags automatically from the track numbers in your filenames.
12-05-2013, 15:08
Without wanting to start a new thread, I have another question with regards to MinimServer's behaviour.
With albums that have Various Artists, in the UPnP control point and renderer, the Artist info of each song is composed of the complete list of artists of the album seperated by a comma. Can this be changed so that each song has only its artist ?
The Artist tag of each song/audio file is correctly populated with its artist.

Many thanks !
12-05-2013, 15:16
(12-05-2013 15:08)sbilotta Wrote:  Without wanting to start a new thread, I have another question with regards to MinimServer's behaviour.
With albums that have Various Artists, in the UPnP control point and renderer, the Artist info of each song is composed of the complete list of artists of the album seperated by a comma. Can this be changed so that each song has only its artist ?

Many thanks !

This should not be happening.

Which control point and renderer are you using?

Do you see this when browsing the album contents, when viewing tracks on the playlist, on the Now Playing screen, or all of these?

Do you have the album tracks tagged with AlbumArtist=Various Artists?
12-05-2013, 15:37 (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 15:53 by sbilotta.)
(12-05-2013 15:16)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 15:08)sbilotta Wrote:  Without wanting to start a new thread, I have another question with regards to MinimServer's behaviour.

Many thanks !

This should not be happening.

Which control point and renderer are you using?

Do you see this when browsing the album contents, when viewing tracks on the playlist, on the Now Playing screen, or all of these?

Do you have the album tracks tagged with AlbumArtist=Various Artists?

I'm using a Naim NDS and n-Stream app.
I see this on all three in the control point, and on the renderer while it plays.
I have the Artist tag populated with the specific artist for the song (not Various Artists); AlbumArtist is empty.
12-05-2013, 16:40
(12-05-2013 15:37)sbilotta Wrote:  I'm using a Naim NDS and n-Stream app.
I see this on all three in the control point, and on the renderer while it plays.
I have the Artist tag populated with the specific artist for the song (not Various Artists); AlbumArtist is empty.

Please try adding '-AlbumArtist.display.artistRole' to the tagCustom property. If this property has a value already, you also need a comma as a separator.
12-05-2013, 17:16
(12-05-2013 16:40)simoncn Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 15:37)sbilotta Wrote:  I'm using a Naim NDS and n-Stream app.

Please try adding '-AlbumArtist.display.artistRole' to the tagCustom property. If this property has a value already, you also need a comma as a separator.

Worked Smile
12-05-2013, 18:31
(12-05-2013 17:16)sbilotta Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 16:40)simoncn Wrote:  Please try adding '-AlbumArtist.display.artistRole' to the tagCustom property. If this property has a value already, you also need a comma as a separator.

Worked Smile

I'm pleased to hear that! Smile

This problem is caused by a combination of various things:

1) For albums that have different artists on different tracks and no AlbumArtist tag, MinimServer creates a synthetic album artist which is used to display an Artist value when viewing the complete album

2) By default, MinimServer sends this synthetic album artist value (or an AlbumArtist value if specified) to the control point in the XML tag <upnp:artist role="albumArtist">. It sends this for the album and for every track in the album. Some control points (e.g., Linn Kinsky) need this XML tag for correct display of album artists and track artists in the playlist.

3) Most control points that don't need this XML tag ignore it completely, but some control points ignore the role="albumArtist" part of the XML tag and treat it as a <upnp:artist> tag. This causes the problem you are seeing.

It seems that n-stream is one of the control points that behaves as described in 3). By setting '-AlbumArtist.display.artistRole' in tagCustom, you are preventing MinimServer from doing 2).
14-05-2013, 19:38 (This post was last modified: 14-05-2013 20:03 by hvaleton.)
Hi,

Let me first say that I'm new here and have only been using MinimServer for a few weeks. I very much like most of its features, especially the Intelligent Browsing. I listen to classical music mostly.
One thing that bothers me, though, is that in "folder view", when I have drilled down to the level where the actual music files are, these files are ordered alphabetically based on their Album name tag. I would like to see them ordered based on their file names, which begin with two (or sometimes three) numerical characters, such as 01, 02, 03 etc.
In my collection (as in most collections, I assume) the tracks of one cd are put together in a folder. Let's have take the following folder as an example:
M:\1_KLAS\Mendelssohn\Concert\Vioolconcerten (Ibragimova)

this folder contains 7 flac files:
01 Op.64; 1 Allegro molto appassionato.flac
02 Op.64; 2 Andante.flac
03 Op.64; 3 Allegretto non troppo - Allegro molto vivace.flac
04 Op.26; Allegro moderato - Animato in tempo.flac
05 Vioolconcert in d; 1 Allegro.flac
06 Vioolconcert in d; 2 Adagio -.flac
07 Vioolconcert in d; 3 Allegro molto.flac

Tracks 1-3 share a common album name:
Mendelssohn - Vioolconcert in e, Op.64 (Ibragimova, OAE, Jurowski)

Track 4 has the album name:
Mendelssohn - Ouverture 'De Hebriden' ('Fingal's Cave'), Op.26 (OAE, Jurowski)

Tracks 5-7 share a common album name:
Mendelssohn - Vioolconcert in d (Ibragimova, OAE, Jurowski)

In MinimServer, in folder view, these files are shown as follows:
Op.26: Allegro moderato - Animato in tempo (= track 4)
Vioolconcert in d: 1 Allegro (= track 5)
Vioolconcert in d: 2 Adagio - (= track 6)
Vioolconcert in d: 3 Allegro molto (= track 7)
Op.64: 1 Allegro molto appassionato (= track 1)
Op.64: 2 Andante (= track 2)
Op.64: 3 Allegretto non troppo - Allegro molto vivace (= track 3)

I think it's clear how this is confusing me. I don't want to listen to this cd in the order as given above, but in the original order, with the overture as a entr'acte between both violin concertos.

Now I did read somewhere in an earlier post within this thread that you said it was not possible to sort based on file name, but that case was slightly different, in that it did not concern folder view.
Maybe in folder view it would be possible after all to sort based on file name? Perhaps you could make it a configurable option? Before MinimServer I used Twonky and that never had this problem. I'd hate to have to use both Twonky ans MinimServer, Twonky for folder view in order to listen to entire cd's in the original order, and MinimServer for listening tot very specific albums tracks, using the excellent tag based drill down search options.

I do hope the above example makes sense, if not, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Hans Valeton
14-05-2013, 19:58
(14-05-2013 19:38)hvaleton Wrote:  Hi,

Let me first say that I'm new here and have only been using MinimServer for a few weeks. I very much like most of its features, especially the Intelligent Browsing. I listen to classical music mostly.
One thing that bothers me, though, is that in "folder view", when I have drilled down to the level where the actual music files are, these files are ordered alphabetically based on their Album name tag. I would like to see them ordered based on their file names, which begin with two (or sometimes three) numerical characters, such as 01, 02, 03 etc.
In my collection (as in most collections, I assume) the tracks of one cd are put together in a folder. Let's have take the following folder as an example:
M:\1_KLAS\Mendelssohn\Concert\Vioolconcerten (Ibragimova)

this folder contains 7 flac files:
01 Op.64; 1 Allegro molto appassionato.flac
02 Op.64; 2 Andante.flac
03 Op.64; 3 Allegretto non troppo - Allegro molto vivace.flac
04 Op.26; Allegro moderato - Animato in tempo.flac
05 Vioolconcert in d; 1 Allegro.flac
06 Vioolconcert in d; 2 Adagio -.flac
07 Vioolconcert in d; 3 Allegro molto.flac

Tracks 1-3 share a common album name:
Mendelssohn - Vioolconcert in e, Op.64 (Ibragimova, OAE, Jurowski)

Track 4 has the album name:
Mendelssohn - Ouverture 'De Hebriden' ('Fingal's Cave'), Op.26 (OAE, Jurowski)

Tracks 5-7 share a common album name:
Mendelssohn - Vioolconcert in d (Ibragimova, OAE, Jurowski)

In MinimServer, in folder view, these files are shown as follows:
Op.26: Allegro moderato - Animato in tempo (= track 4)
Vioolconcert in d: 1 Allegro (= track 5)
Vioolconcert in d: 2 Adagio - (= track 6)
Vioolconcert in d: 3 Allegro molto (= track 7)
Op.64: 1 Allegro molto appassionato (= track 1)
Op.64: 2 Andante (= track 2)
Op.64: 3 Allegretto non troppo - Allegro molto vivace (= track 3)

I think it's clear how this is confuses me. I don't want to listen to this cd in the order as given above, but in the original order, with the overture as a entr'acte between both violin concertos.

Now I did read somewhere in an earlier post within this thread that you said it was not possible to sort based on file name, but that case was slightly different, in that it did not concern folder view.
Maybe in folder view it would be possible after all to sort based on file name? Perhaps you could make it a configurable option? Before MinimServer I used Twonky and that never had this problem. I'd hate to have to use both Twonky ans MinimServer, Twonky for folder view in order to listen to entire cd's in the original order, and MinimServer for listening tot very specific albums tracks, using the excellent tag based drill down search options.

I do hope the above example makes sense, if not, let me know.

Thanks in advance,

regards,

Hans Valeton

Hi Hans,
I will obviously let Simon answer your query, but just FYI my query was also based upon folder view, as that is the only way I browse my music collection, even if I did not mention it.
I would be happy if this way of browsing changes Simon's initial response... but I doubt it Sad

All the best.
Stefano