Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QNAP firmware update warning
27-04-2013, 22:40 (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 22:44 by wappinghigh.)
QNAP firmware update warning
Just remember folks updating firmware is a very dangerous time

You will lose all your MinimServer setup and configuration on the QNAP (not to mention your entire music library) if the QNAP firmware upgrade does not go through properly.

So next time I will download the next file version of QNAP firmware in it's entirety before uploading it manually to the QNAP. Note to self: Do *not* use the auto network "live update" QNAP process again Smile

And remember because all the MinimServer settings are not saved in the QNAP backup file backupdata.bin, this won't help you either. Neither will having a raided NAS with multiple drives.

So write you settings down. Get familiar with MinimServer setup. And always have another copy of that edited and newly tagged library that you spent days configuring, somewhere else off the NAS...

Cheers Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 15:08 (This post was last modified: 28-04-2013 15:08 by bbrip.)
RE: QNAP firmware update warning
I'd say thats a serious flaw in the QNAP firmware update process if it wipes out the settings of installed add-ons.

bbrip
28-04-2013, 20:08
(28-04-2013 15:08)bbrip Wrote:  I'd say thats a serious flaw in the QNAP firmware update process if it wipes out the settings of installed add-ons.

bbrip

I think the issue with settings is that the MinimServer QPKG directory isn't preserved in the backup file. This might be because the directory containing installed QPKGs is named .qpkg and is therefore a "hidden" directory because its name starts with a period.
28-04-2013, 20:47 (This post was last modified: 28-04-2013 20:48 by Oroperplex.)
(28-04-2013 20:08)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-04-2013 15:08)bbrip Wrote:  I'd say thats a serious flaw in the QNAP firmware update process if it wipes out the settings of installed add-ons.

bbrip

I think the issue with settings is that the MinimServer QPKG directory isn't preserved in the backup file. This might be because the directory containing installed QPKGs is named .qpkg and is therefore a "hidden" directory because its name starts with a period.

updated today my ts119 with version 3.8.3 from 3.7.3 firmware. Everything went well and MinimServer 0.71 and configuration were untouched and working
10-05-2013, 03:26
(28-04-2013 20:08)simoncn Wrote:  

bbrip

So is there a backup setting in the QNAP that backs up the entire drive? Not just the root folders...ie everything. A mirror backup if you like. So that if the drive crashes or is corrupted, I can just plug in the backup ....say via USB and recover back to the original setup? Since setting up MinimServer on a QNAP does involve quite some considerable time, obviously a mirror drive image is better...

I've bought a simple USB external drive for backup. What settings are there (if any) in the QNAP that mirrors the existing drive? Thanks.
10-05-2013, 09:10
(10-05-2013 03:26)wappinghigh Wrote:  So is there a backup setting in the QNAP that backs up the entire drive? Not just the root folders...ie everything. A mirror backup if you like. So that if the drive crashes or is corrupted, I can just plug in the backup ....say via USB and recover back to the original setup? Since setting up MinimServer on a QNAP does involve quite some considerable time, obviously a mirror drive image is better...

I've bought a simple USB external drive for backup. What settings are there (if any) in the QNAP that mirrors the existing drive? Thanks.

You can find details of how to do this on this page. I haven't tried this myself yet, but I probably should. Smile