Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music Missing
31-12-2020, 13:56
RE: Music Missing
(30-12-2020 21:58)Alandbush Wrote:  
(30-12-2020 19:35)mdp Wrote:  It is my own carefully tagged collection and a back-up from a friend (bad/incomplete tagged) with multiple doubles overlapping.

Seems like you have some work to do to get the back up corrected. Big Grin

I believe the free/trial version of SongKong tagger offers a Fix songs feature. I think it identifies duplicates amongst other issues.
Lots of different format versions. Not all Hi-Res sounds better then a carefully accurate-ripped cd.
You have to check by hand to be shure. I copy checked/corrected files to the Melco (2 hdd in raid 0) for the best sound (and wurst security) to play from.

Happy Newyear
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2020, 14:25 (This post was last modified: 31-12-2020 14:27 by simoncn.)
For the best sound on a Melco, you should format the drives as spanned instead of RAID 0.

I agree with your comments about hi-res vs. a well-recorded CD.
01-01-2021, 13:06
(31-12-2020 14:25)simoncn Wrote:  For the best sound on a Melco, you should format the drives as spanned instead of RAID 0.

I agree with your comments about hi-res vs. a well-recorded CD.
"RAID 0
Combines 2 drives in the N1 into a single array. The usable drive space is the total space of all drives used. This simple RAID mode offers faster performance than a spanned array. If a single drive in the array fails, then all data on the array is lost. Amongst the three RAID modes, RAID 0 does not offer any redundancy. If secure data storage is critical, using RAID 0 is not recommended." (Melco manual)

Quote from Alan Ainslie (Melco 2017):
"Few points;-
1 – RAID 0 is the best sound, but you MUST keep a backup as impossible to recover any data from a failed RAID 0 array."

Due to the fact that excursion of the hdd heads are minimised in RAID 0, gives less interference of mechanical Noise/distortion in the data stream. Powersupply of signalpath and mechanical part of the hdd powersupply are seporated for this reason.
Back-up is on the Synology
01-01-2021, 14:30 (This post was last modified: 01-01-2021 14:32 by simoncn.)
RAID 0 causes data to be "striped" between the two HDDs. This means that reading from a single audio file requires I/O and head movement from both HDDs at the same time.

Spanned holds different portions of your library on different HDDs. This means that reading from a single audio file usually requires I/O and head movement from a single HDD only.

The reduction in I/O activity and head movement from using spanned provides a noticeable improvement in sound quality. I am not the only Melco user who has tested this and heard the difference.

Both RAID 0 and spanned require a backup. RAID 0 can read a file faster but this is not relevant for audio streaming or playing.