Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Selecting NAS
18-09-2020, 09:03
Selecting NAS
So far I use a laptop plus external HDD driving MinimServer over ethernet to Lumin U1 Mini (see attachment). In all I have about 6,000 FLAC ripped CD’s and/or bought and downloaded albums. The only streaming I do is my own stored files and TuneIn radio. I do not intend to use Roon, Tidal, Spotify or any other streaming services, neither for music or movies. I’m old fashioned who wants to own my music files. It works excellent.

Now, I have some thoughts to buy a NAS. As far as I have understood the most in use seems to be Synology and QNAP. I’m using PC/Windows 10, Mp3Tag and of course MinimServer and then Lumin U1 Mini.

From MinimServer point of view in this context, does it matter if I go the Synology or the QNAB way including practical arguments like ”easy to use”?

Other thoughts, pieces of advices...?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-09-2020, 18:23
RE: Selecting NAS
I use a QNAP HS 251+. It was easy to set up and use. It was also very straightforward to install MinimServer 2, although it is not yet directly available as an app in the store.
18-09-2020, 19:59
I've used a Synology DS412+ since 2013. Also easy to setup and install MinimServer.

Three general points to bear in mind when deciding on a NAS: Estimate how much storage you think you will need for your music library etc and then triple it. Go for a NAS that has a powerful processor e.g. the '+' models from Synology. Buy hard drives that have a good reputation for longevity e.g. WD Red drives. Following these guidelines your NAS should be OK for 10 years use!

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
24-09-2020, 21:44
6000 Flac: that should represent at least 4TB of data (I have 7300 albums at that is 5.5TB)

Where did you store them ?

Synology is a good brand. I tried Qnap and did not like it.

Same as peoplel prefer Mac to PC, or vice-cersa. Or Canon to Nikon.

Purely a matter of the user, not the technology.
25-09-2020, 09:19 (This post was last modified: 25-09-2020 09:21 by Ropet.)
Thanks for your feedback. I read you as they are equal for my purpose. I will go for Synology as fovourite dealer sell them.

(24-09-2020 21:44)lyapounov Wrote:  Where did you store them ?

Today I store them in an external WD Element 4TB hdd (see image). I have two them, one for regular use and one for backup (manual). In the NAS I will use two WD Red 6TB each.