Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer shared folder on host is not shared with this container
09-09-2020, 16:53 (This post was last modified: 09-09-2020 16:55 by casperghst42.)
Hi,

I'm trying to get MinimServer (2.0.15) to run in an LXC Container (running on Linux not on a NAS).

I have mounted my music on /mnt/music, which I then enter in the MinimServer configuration (webpage), but I'm getting:

Does anyone know what that means?

MinimServer is installed in /opt/minimserver and is running as root. Using Java8 ...

Cheers,
Casper
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2020, 18:05
RE: MinimServer shared folder on host is not shared with this container
This is not currently supported or tested but it should be possible to get it to work. You need to do the following:

1) Install MinimServer on the Linux machine that is running the LXC container (the host machine)

2) Start MinimServer on the host machine (the host instance)

3) Share the "minimserver" folder on the host machine to be visible as /MinimServer in the LXC container (read-only is recommended)

This should enable you to start MinimServer in the LXC container. After you have done this, you can stop the host instance of MinimServer if you don't need it.

This process is needed because MinimServer instances running in LXC containers share their license with the host instance (see this section).
09-09-2020, 19:18
(09-09-2020 18:05)simoncn Wrote:  This is not currently supported or tested but it should be possible to get it to work. You need to do the following:

1) Install MinimServer on the Linux machine that is running the LXC container (the host machine)

2) Start MinimServer on the host machine (the host instance)

3) Share the "minimserver" folder on the host machine to be visible as /MinimServer in the LXC container (read-only is recommended)

This should enable you to start MinimServer in the LXC container. After you have done this, you can stop the host instance of MinimServer if you don't need it.

This process is needed because MinimServer instances running in LXC containers share their license with the host instance (see this section).

Very very very strange.

I’ll have test this in a VM - I do not run code on my host which is not part of the OS (which is why I use LXC for everything).

That will probably take some time.

Cheers,
Casper
09-09-2020, 19:48 (This post was last modified: 09-09-2020 19:48 by simoncn.)
I will think about what could be done to support your scenario. Do you want to run one MinimServer instance in a single LXC container, multiple MinimServer instances in a single LXC container or multiple MinimServer instances in multiple LXC containers (one instance per container)?
12-09-2020, 09:07
(09-09-2020 19:48)simoncn Wrote:  I will think about what could be done to support your scenario. Do you want to run one MinimServer instance in a single LXC container, multiple MinimServer instances in a single LXC container or multiple MinimServer instances in multiple LXC containers (one instance per container)?

I am only interested in running one instance of MinimServer (totally). Docker or LXC does not matter much, I just started using it way back when, and for somethings it works better for me.

Currenly I have MinimServer running in a KVM Virtual Debian which also works, it unfortunately does grab more resources than an container, but it does not require me to install MinimServer on my host.

Cheers,
Casper