Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Leaving %discnumber% blank for single-disc albums?
21-08-2020, 08:04 (This post was last modified: 21-08-2020 08:14 by Uoppi.)
Leaving %discnumber% blank for single-disc albums?
Are there any possible drawback scenarios for MinimServer functionality, if I delete %discnumber% (and perhaps also %totaldiscs%) for single-disc albums and use the tag(s) exclusively for multidisc-albums?

Currently, I've configured MinimServer to display disc number in front of track number, like so:
(1) 1. Boléro

To differentiate single-disc albums (and for space and obvious readability reasons), a simplified format can be displayed, if the album's %discnumber% is missing:
1. Boléro

Of course, it's a very simple procedure to mass tag single-disc albums, so I can experiment myself, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

EDIT: Hmm... Come to think of it: can MinimServer be configured to pass on %discnumber% ONLY if %totaldiscs% is greater than 1? That would be the perfect solution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2020, 09:14
RE: Leaving %discnumber% blank for single-disc albums?
It is fine to omit DISCNUMBER and TOTALDISCS from single-disc albums.

You could use a tag update file to remove DISCNUMBER from albums with TOTALDISCS=1. The requires the following lines in your tag update file:

@DISCNUMBER=1
&TOTALDISCS=1
-DISCNUMBER

If you also want to remove TOTALDISCS in this case, you need the following:

@DISCNUMBER=1
&TOTALDISCS=1
-DISCNUMBER
@TOTALDISCS=1
-TOTALDISCS
21-08-2020, 16:12
RE: Leaving %discnumber% blank for single-disc albums?
Foobar2000 makes it pretty easy to filter out the single disc albums for masstagging, so no problems there.

I'm quite happy with this solution. At least in BubbleUPnP Android, there are situations where it's not easy to tell, which disc of a multidisc I'm looking at (for example, in the "Recently played" list), unless the disc number is prefixed to the title by MinimServer. And now - just as conveniently - if nothing is prefixed, it tells me straight away the title comes off a single disc album (and some screen real estate is saved too).