Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Overcoming the "not an absolute path" message
09-08-2020, 10:13
Overcoming the "not an absolute path" message
Hi everyone and Simon,
Just in the process of setting up a QNAP TS-131P NAS on my system.
When I try to set up Minim Server I get this message:
"Not an absolute path; correct highlighted value and retry".

My system:
Windows 10 laptop. Also a Samsung tablet where I want to use my Naim control app from.

The QNAP is plugged in to a network switch. Its address is \\NAS3B2251 and according to my laptop the path to the music is \\NAS3B2251\public\shared music.
I have mounted the NAS drive in Windows and called it "O".
Can anyone please tell me what the "absolute path" is in this instance?

Kind regards,

Terry
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2020, 11:42
RE: Overcoming the "not an absolute path" message
The path for MinimServer needs to be a Linux path because MinimServer is runnng on Linux within the QNAP. The path you are using is a Windows path.

To find the correct path, use File Station on the QNAP as shown on this page. Linux paths are case sensitive, so if the path includes 'Public' you can't use 'public' (another difference from Windows). The path will probably be something like /share/Public/shared music but you need to use File Station to check case sensitivity.
09-08-2020, 14:14
(09-08-2020 11:42)simoncn Wrote:  The path for MinimServer needs to be a Linux path because MinimServer is runnng on Linux within the QNAP. The path you are using is a Windows path.

To find the correct path, use File Station on the QNAP as shown on this page. Linux paths are case sensitive, so if the path includes 'Public' you can't use 'public' (another difference from Windows). The path will probably be something like /share/Public/shared music but you need to use File Station to check case sensitivity.

Thank you Simon. All working now. I hadn't seen any reference to "share" in setting up the QNAP and the case sensitive issue is the difference between it working and not. QNAP don't tell you that the drive uses Linux.
09-08-2020, 15:02
I don't understand why QNAP avoids mentioning 'share' anywhere in File Station. Perhaps they think it would be confusing. It is the same with Synology. Glad to hear you are up and running now.
09-08-2020, 19:51
(09-08-2020 15:02)simoncn Wrote:  I don't understand why QNAP avoids mentioning 'share' anywhere in File Station. Perhaps they think it would be confusing. It is the same with Synology. Glad to hear you are up and running now.

Whenever I encounter a new piece of tech the phrase that fills me with dread is UPnP.
Setting up the QNAP was a nightmare. I thought with a QR code to scan it would be a cinch. Alas not to be.
Thanks again for your help.
10-08-2020, 13:17 (This post was last modified: 10-08-2020 13:17 by simoncn.)
Indeed, UPnP can be difficult to set up. The forum is here to help. Smile