Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chronological sorting within artist and other help with basic setup
04-08-2020, 18:11
RE: Chronological sorting within artist and other help with basic setup
PM sent.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2020, 17:40 (This post was last modified: 05-08-2020 23:18 by simoncn.)
Thanks for providing a sample file. This file contains an ID3v2.3 TYER frame with an incorrect value 1967-09-01. The ID3v2.3 specification requires the TYER frame to have a four-digit value and for month and day information (if available) to be stored in the TDAT tag. Somewhat confusingly, the order in TDAT is DD-MM, so the TDAT tag should have the value 01-09.

MinimServer has detected this error while scanning your library. It has ignored the incorrect value and has written a warning message to the MinimServer log reporting the problem. It is useful to check the MinimServer log for error and warning messages. The simplest way to do this is to install MinimWatch on another computer (Windows, Mac or Linux) on your home network.

Ideally, Mp3tag should take care of writing a YYYY-MM-DD value into the correct ID3v2.3 frames but for some reason it isn't doing this. It is reading the incorrect TYER value from your file and showing it to you as "Year".

In ID3v2.4, this has changed and there is a new frame TDRC that can store a full YYYY-MM-DD value (or YYYY or YYYY-MM). If you convert your files to ID3v2.4 using Mp3tag, this should solve the problem.
05-08-2020, 18:21
Thank you very much for identifying the issue! However, please bear with me a little longer.

I cannot see any options for ID2 conversion in mp3tag. Please see the print screen attached. I got to these settings by following the advice here: https://community.mp3tag.de/t/converting...o-2-3/7060

In search of a longer-term fix, is there anything that can be done to recognize dates in "yyyy mm dd" format (no hyphens)? I am using dbpoweramp for ripping CDs and this is the format they use for a more precise date than year alone. I saw some discussion here which mentioned that this format may be accepted in the future: https://forum.minimserver.com/showthread...662&page=2 . In case inserting the hyphens is the only option, would you happen to know if I can somehow automate getting the right tag format (can't see any options in dbpoweramp itself)?

05-08-2020, 21:27
In the Mp3tag screenshot that you posted, you need to change the Write setting from ID3v2.3 UTF-16 to ID3v2.4 UTF-8, then save all your files containing ID3v2 tags by doing Ctrl+A and Ctrl+S as described in the other thread.

Thank you for reminding me that in 2013 I added this workaround for tags in YYYY MM DD format. I am very surprised that dBpoweramp still uses this nonstandard format but with the MinimServer workaround this won't cause you any problems. Apologies for giving you incorrect information previously.
05-08-2020, 23:14
Thank you very much. Sorry, I thought it had to be ID >>2<< v2.4 for which there was no option in mp3tag.

I can confirm that I have the correct sort order now. I also checked if the "yyyy mm" format works, and indeed it does! I immediately went for the full license. Smile
05-08-2020, 23:19 (This post was last modified: 05-08-2020 23:19 by simoncn.)
Oops, just saw my ID2v2.4 typo (now fixed). Glad to hear you have it working now.