Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Multiple works by different composers merged
18-04-2013, 20:51
Multiple works by different composers merged
Hi Simon,

I have 2 different works that have the same name (i.e. same Group tag) and same Artist on the same album. However they are by 2 different composers.

MinimServer assumes that these 2 works are the same, presumably because they have the same Group and Artist and because they happen to be in a sequence. The 2 works appear merged into one.

MinimServer should also take the composer into account when parsing groups.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 21:44
RE: Multiple works by different composers merged
This is a minor issue as it's very unlikely to happen often. I got around it by putting more information in the Group tag for the two works in order to differentiate them.
18-04-2013, 22:28
(18-04-2013 20:51)classical11 Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I have 2 different works that have the same name (i.e. same Group tag) and same Artist on the same album. However they are by 2 different composers.

MinimServer assumes that these 2 works are the same, presumably because they have the same Group and Artist and because they happen to be in a sequence. The 2 works appear merged into one.

MinimServer should also take the composer into account when parsing groups.

Are these two groups consecutive tracks? If so, they will be merged if they have the same name. I don't think it's practical for MinimServer to look at other tags in deciding whether or not to merge tracks into a group, because there could be situations where the tracks have different tags (e.g., artist or soloist) but should still be merged.

It's worth pointing out that Groups can be used to group tracks together for any purpose and shouldn't be thought of as equivalent to musical works, even though they are often used for this.

Your solution of modifying the Group tags is the right way to handle this situation.
19-04-2013, 02:07
(18-04-2013 22:28)simoncn Wrote:  It's worth pointing out that Groups can be used to group tracks together for any purpose and shouldn't be thought of as equivalent to musical works, even though they are often used for this.

Your solution of modifying the Group tags is the right way to handle this situation.

OK, fair enough.

It was an odd coincidence that the 2 works were one after the other on the same CD. However it was quite easy to rename them to make them unique by including the year when they were composed, which I find useful anyway.

Thanks for looking into it.