Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPnP vs. DLNA
28-07-2020, 02:04 (This post was last modified: 28-07-2020 06:21 by tony4660.)
UPnP vs. DLNA
I just purchased a license and installed MinimServer 2. Everything seems to be syncing correctly with my control point but I can only see MinimServer if the control point is set to DNLA. If I set it to UPnP it goes away (this happened with the original MinimServer as well). This is a new control point for me, a customized version of Volumio that is part of my new Channel Islands Audio DMC-1, which is supposed to support both DLNA and UPnP. My previous control point which was the Lightning DS app used with an Auralic Aries LE had no issues locating MinimServer using UPnP.

Also, when I use the transcoding feature this string appears in my play back window where my tags for album and song normally appear: $!transcode.wav. I would have attached a couple screenshots to illustrate but I am having some trouble with that too. I'm hoping someone might be able to explain what might be happening. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
28-07-2020, 11:03
RE: UPnP vs. DLNA
Both these problems are caused by your control point and/or renderer.

The incorrect display of track title is caused by the renderer not receiving correct metadata from the control point using the UPnP protocol. MinimServer sends this metadata to the control point along with the stream URL. In the absence of correct metadata, the renderer is trying to read the track title from the streamed data. When the stream is transcoded, it doesn't contain metadata, so the renderer is displaying the last part of the stream URL. The solution is for the control point and/or renderer to implement the UPnP protocol for track metadata correctly.

I don't know why the control point is not finding MinimServer in UPnP mode. It should work because MinimServer fully supports the UPnP discovery protocol as well as supporting DLNA. I suggest you contact the makers of the DMC-1 for any information they can provide about this.
28-07-2020, 15:16
Thank you Simon I suspect it was an issue on the manufacturers side but wanted to be sure. I am curious, with the new custom UPnP feature is there some type of custom code that might allow this to work such that I can use MininServer via UPnP?
28-07-2020, 17:18
The upnpCustom property can be used to make a limited set of modifications to the XML metadata that MinimServer sends to the control point. It doesn't make any difference to whether the control point is able to discover MinimServer using the UPnP protocol.