Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimWatch 2 on Synology NAS 216J
10-07-2020, 15:41
MinimWatch 2 on Synology NAS 216J
Upgraded yesterday to MinimServer 2 and MinimWatch 2 on my Mac and Synology 216J NAS. All went well until I had to reboot. Mac stuff works fine, I have the MinimWatch note in the system try and I can edit as required. I HAD the minimwatch 2 icon in my system tray for my Synology instance, but once I rebooted, I can't find it.

I have MARVELL Armada 385 88F6820 processor so I used this MinimServer-2.0.12-armv7.spk. I Need a nudge in the right direction to get it working again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2020, 17:43
RE: MinimWatch 2 on Synology NAS 216J
I presume the problem is with MinimWatch on Windows (your post doesn't specifically say this). The icon might be in the system tray overflow area (click the upward pointing arrow). If the icon isn't there, you might need to run the Jarfix program.
10-07-2020, 18:01
(10-07-2020 17:43)simoncn Wrote:  I presume the problem is with MinimWatch on Windows (your post doesn't specifically say this). The icon might be in the system tray overflow area (click the upward pointing arrow). If the icon isn't there, you might need to run the Jarfix program.

It's on my Mac...I had both instances of minim watch 2 in the upper tray. I only have the Mac version there presently.

When I first installed minimwatch 2 on my Synology NAS, I had 2 instances of minim watch 2 running, 1 for Mac & 1 for Synology. That's how it used to be before the upgrade. I'm missing the Synology instance of minim watch 2...
10-07-2020, 19:39
Thanks for clarifying this. I was confused by "Mac stuff works fine." It sounds like MinimServer 2 on the Synology might not be running. Please check this by opening the Synology MinimServer 2 configuration web page as described on this page. Does this page open?
11-07-2020, 01:31
(10-07-2020 19:39)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for clarifying this. I was confused by "Mac stuff works fine." It sounds like MinimServer 2 on the Synology might not be running. Please check this by opening the Synology MinimServer 2 configuration web page as described on this page. Does this page open?

Yes, here's the message...

MinimServer 2.0.12 update 160, Copyright © 2012-2020 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
MinimStreamer 2.0.3, Copyright © 2012-2020 Simon Nash. All rights reserved.
Your license type is Full. For more information, select the License tab.
Media server status for Synology Instance Mike's Digital Music: Running

This page was last updated at 19:26:31 on 10 Jul 2020

Your selected content directory is /volume1/music

To change this, enter the location of your content directory in the field below and click Update.
To find the correct location to enter, you can use File Station, as shown on this page.

Content directory:

Update Reset

For more information about using MinimServer, see the Quick start page.
For more information about using MinimServer, see the Quick start page.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-07-2020, 12:06 (This post was last modified: 11-07-2020 12:07 by simoncn.)
Thanks for confirnming this. Have you launched MinimWatch on the Mac by double-clicking MinimWatch in your Applications folder? To see the minim icon for your Synology, you need to launch MinimWatch in addition to launching MinimServer.
11-07-2020, 12:40
(11-07-2020 12:06)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for confirnming this. Have you launched MinimWatch on the Mac by double-clicking MinimWatch in your Applications folder? To see the minim icon for your Synology, you need to launch MinimWatch in addition to launching MinimServer.
Yes, on my Mac, the MinimWatch 2 note icon is in the system tray and I can edit properties as needed. When I open the Synology instance, all I get is the web page of the picture I attached in previous post. The MinimWatch 2 Note icon is nowhere to be found. There's no way for me to edit the properties of my Synology instance. MinimWatch is missing but I don't know where to look for it...As I mentioned, when I first installed on my Synology, I had the system tray note icon, ( 2 instances one for Mac one for Synology) but when I rebooted my computer Synology instance vanished is nowhere to be found.
11-07-2020, 13:20
Here's a screen shot of MinimServer running on my Synology...

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-07-2020, 13:54
The note icon that you are currently seeing in your Mac menu bar is created by MinimServer, not by MinimWatch. MinimServer shows a note icon for the Mac instance of MinimServer. MinimWatch (if it is running) shows note icons for all other instances of MinimServer that are runnng on other devices. The MinimServer note icon and the MinimWatch note icon look the same.

From your screenshot, you are using Synology DSM to open the Synology MinimServer 2 instance. As you say, this does not provide a way to edit properties. To edit the properties of this Synology MinimServer instance, you need to do the following:

1) Open your Applications folder
2) Double-click the MinimWatch application in this folder

This should show a second note icon in your menu bar alongside the note icon that you currently have for your menu bar that is showing your MimimServer Mac properties. This second note icon will enable you to view and edit your MinimServer Synology properties.
11-07-2020, 17:20
(11-07-2020 13:54)simoncn Wrote:  The note icon that you are currently seeing in your Mac menu bar is created by MinimServer, not by MinimWatch. MinimServer shows a note icon for the Mac instance of MinimServer. MinimWatch (if it is running) shows note icons for all other instances of MinimServer that are runnng on other devices. The MinimServer note icon and the MinimWatch note icon look the same.

From your screenshot, you are using Synology DSM to open the Synology MinimServer 2 instance. As you say, this does not provide a way to edit properties. To edit the properties of this Synology MinimServer instance, you need to do the following:

1) Open your Applications folder
2) Double-click the MinimWatch application in this folder

This should show a second note icon in your menu bar alongside the note icon that you currently have for your menu bar that is showing your MimimServer Mac properties. This second note icon will enable you to view and edit your MinimServer Synology properties.

Ok, got it. Operator error; I neglected to move the app to the applications folder. I had the app package there, not the app. Once I dragged the app over to the applications folder and hit refresh on the note icon, all is good. Thanks for the help...