Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sorting albums by title/date using Naim App
12-06-2020, 14:46
Sorting albums by title/date using Naim App
I'm using Melco/Minimserver/SongKong with the Naim App. I'm looking to be able to sort by album in alphabetical order which is the default (no problem), but also to sort under individual artist by date of recording within each genre. Under properties within Minimserver I've used TagOptions to enable the sort by date function...so far so good. However, when then browsing under separate genres the Naim App. does not for some genres enable me toggle between A-Z and date for each album. For example it does for Jazz and Orchestral, but not for Blues or Country. For the latter two it only gives me the "date" sort option. Not sure if this is an issue with the Naim App or that I've not enabled this in properties correctly within Minimserver? It's not a make or break problem, but I'm scratching my head as to why it's working fine for some genres and not others.
Any help appreciated. Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-06-2020, 15:18
RE: Sorting albums by title/date using Naim App
Is "date" sorting an option in the Naim app or are you talking about MinimServer "date" sorting? When I last looked at the Naim app, the only sort options were enabling or disabling A-Z.
12-06-2020, 15:43
(12-06-2020 15:18)simoncn Wrote:  Is "date" sorting an option in the Naim app or are you talking about MinimServer "date" sorting? When I last looked at the Naim app, the only sort options were enabling or disabling A-Z.
Thanks Simon. By enabling/disabling "A-Z" in the Naim App. it toggles between alphabetical or date order, but only for some genres but not others, which is what I'm puzzled about.
12-06-2020, 17:30
I think it is probably toggling between A-Z and the sort order sent by MinimServer, unless there is something on the Naim app screen that specifically refers to date order. It is usually better to use the MinimServer sort order so that you can take advantage of MinimServer's advanced sorting capabilities.
12-06-2020, 22:05
(12-06-2020 17:30)simoncn Wrote:  I think it is probably toggling between A-Z and the sort order sent by MinimServer, unless there is something on the Naim app screen that specifically refers to date order. It is usually better to use the MinimServer sort order so that you can take advantage of MinimServer's advanced sorting capabilities.
I think you're right. I don't believe there is anything specific on the Naim App that refers to date sorting within album/artist etc. What I did in Minimserver was to add Album.sortTags={Date} to TagOptions. This has sorted albums/artists into date order when the A-Z toggle is off, when the toggle is engaged it reverts to alpha order. It does this for Albums and for searches within some genres e.g. jazz and orchestral. But for blues and country for example it sorts by date when toggle is on or off. So I'm not able to sort in alpha order if I wished to. As I say I'm at a loss to know why it's working for some genres and not others.
12-06-2020, 22:40 (This post was last modified: 12-06-2020 22:44 by simoncn.)
It sounds like something is different about the contents of your blues and country browsing containers. Naim support might be able to explain why the A-Z sort function isn't working for these containers. Unfortunately the UPnP protocol makes it difficult for MinimServer to provide a convenient way to toggle between different sort orders for the same container.
12-06-2020, 22:49
(12-06-2020 22:40)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like something is different about the contents of your blues and country browsing containers. Naim support might be able to explain why the A-Z sort function isn't working for these containers. Unfortunately the UPnP protocol makes it difficult for MinimServer to provide a convenient way to toggle between different sort orders for the same container.
Thanks Simon. I have actually just tried using MConnect rather than the Naim App. and their toggle function does perform as I would want it, enabling me to move from alpha view to date view. So I guess the problem does lie with the Naim App for some reason. I'll try a post on their forum. Thanks for your support on this.