Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
iOS Client to play music from the source MinimServer
02-07-2020, 20:19 (This post was last modified: 02-07-2020 20:23 by tarnkappe.)
RE: iOS Client to play music from the source MinimServer
Hello Henning,

I think you should check out Roon. I am not using it, but I guess this is what you are looking for.

It reads the music from your upnp server and combines it with other sources like qobuz, etc. The presentation is said to be great, the artists, albums, etc are linked and I think some background information is added (but I am not sure).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-07-2020, 21:40
Hello,

you could try 8Player which is available for iOS and AppleTV.

I'm using it since some years to play music (stored on a NAS) on iOS devices and also to stream it to different uPNP renderers.

I can also access music from outside home (e.g. the office) and play my music on the iOS device.

Kind regards
steamfan
12-07-2020, 11:40
(02-07-2020 20:19)tarnkappe Wrote:  Hello Henning,

I think you should check out Roon. I am not using it, but I guess this is what you are looking for.

It reads the music from your upnp server and combines it with other sources like qobuz, etc. The presentation is said to be great, the artists, albums, etc are linked and I think some background information is added (but I am not sure).

I have been testing Roon.

It is highly expensive, and does even not allow browsing by folder structure. Besides, the ceo of Roon is kind of person "listen to me, because I am the expert, and if you say something different, then you are not interesting".

A system to avoid, IMHO.
05-08-2020, 13:36 (This post was last modified: Yesterday 11:02 by henning65.)
Hello

@Stefano_mbp: "You can use them only if you have an upnp/openhome renderer. They don’t work with AirPlay. It’s not a nas matter, the problem is that both B&W A5 and Monitor Audio S300 are not upnp/dlna compliant and they work with AirPlay."

It took a while to understand your advice! Actually I believe somehow I mixed up two ways of playing my music and you answered on one option ....

So to be more specific:
Playing music with my old fashioned boxes at home. Source: music on NAS / MinimServer to provide files.
I - now - understand: I need a different hardware: a music renderer to replace my old fashioned Pioneer VSX-D1011. I do have an AppleTV box which delivers via optical line music to the Pioneer VSX-D1011. But I guess, there is no app to be install on the AppleTV box (1.Generation) (which would then use the MinimServer-Music and would work with a control point (iOS app)??
The second best option is than to buy a new device with network connection and which could take advantage of the MinimServer-Features.

Here I would like to ask for some advice: I'm looking for a simple and low-cost solution with the following features:
--must have--
full integration with MinimServer
LAN-input
stereo output analog for old fashioned speakers
good control-point iOS app / or a suggestion which GOOD control-point iOS app to use
good sound
max 700€

--nice to have--
device & control-point iOS app can stream to Airplay
multi room

-----
The second way to play music is by using my iPhone / iPad / appleWatch and to play the music on the device or - let's say via headset. Same replies addressed this question already. I guess even after buying a music renderer there is no way to simply use the renderer and listen to my music by headset. So the problem remains...
I tested so far....
MConnect Player: works but doesn't look nice // takes ages to get to a specific track...
[Edit: I can confirm: The iOS app MConnect Player takes ages to find the minimserver. This problem occurs every time the app starts]
Glider Music Player: looks nice but 11€ just to give it a try - that's a lot -- so I didn't tested this app
8Playerlite: much better connect ability with minimserver! User interface sort of similar to MConnect Player

What I'm looking for?
>> Suggestion for a good hardware renderer ....
>> a good workflow to enjoy my music remotely (not in the home-wifi-network) on iPhone / iPad / appleWatch

thanks for your help