Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WAV file tagging...
27-08-2013, 19:02
RE: WAV file tagging...
(27-08-2013 17:55)Santelises Wrote:  Simon,
I am using an Oppo BDP105 as a player and have Minimserver installed to my Synology NAS 710+. I have modified the Minim setting to convert FLAC to WAV24. What happens then is that I no longer see the imbeded art work and other tag information from the OPPO, but I do get better sound. If I remove the WAV24 setting then I see the tag information. I have to assume this a problem with OPPO since others in this forum recommend wav24 to get the quality improvement while preserving tags.

I think this might be because the OPPO doesn't display the meta data it receives from MinimServer, but it reads the meta data itself from the streamed files. On my Denon DNP-F109 I observe the following: when streaming FLAC it displays the tag information from the files. When streaming FLAC transcoded to WAV, it displays the meta data sent from MinimServer. This is why I'm quite happy that the tags aren't preserved when transcoding to WAV.
Of course it would better if the Denon would always display the meta data sent from MinimServer and would use the tags from the files only as a fallback if there isn't such data available from the server. I'm currently in contact with the Denon support about this and other minor issues, but I have not much hope that this will change.
At least BubbleUPnP (and other control points) show the display format customized by MinimServer :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-08-2013, 23:01
RE: WAV file tagging...
(27-08-2013 19:02)winxi Wrote:  
(27-08-2013 17:55)Santelises Wrote:  Simon,
I am using an Oppo BDP105 as a player and have Minimserver installed to my Synology NAS 710+. I have modified the Minim setting to convert FLAC to WAV24. What happens then is that I no longer see the imbeded art work and other tag information from the OPPO, but I do get better sound. If I remove the WAV24 setting then I see the tag information. I have to assume this a problem with OPPO since others in this forum recommend wav24 to get the quality improvement while preserving tags.

I think this might be because the OPPO doesn't display the meta data it receives from MinimServer, but it reads the meta data itself from the streamed files. On my Denon DNP-F109 I observe the following: when streaming FLAC it displays the tag information from the files. When streaming FLAC transcoded to WAV, it displays the meta data sent from MinimServer. This is why I'm quite happy that the tags aren't preserved when transcoding to WAV.
Of course it would better if the Denon would always display the meta data sent from MinimServer and would use the tags from the files only as a fallback if there isn't such data available from the server. I'm currently in contact with the Denon support about this and other minor issues, but I have not much hope that this will change.
At least BubbleUPnP (and other control points) show the display format customized by MinimServer Smile

Thanks that is likely the reason. I am hoping Oppo will eventually solve this and also provide DSD support using UPNP, for now will have to wait.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply