Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eliminate Duplicate Albums/Tracks
03-06-2020, 09:27
RE: Eliminate Duplicate Albums/Tracks
MinimServer supports all numbers up to 191 (Psybient).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2020, 04:13
(03-06-2020 07:41)paultaylor Wrote:  Can you give an example of some of the numbers displayed, are they higher than 79. I just wonder if MinimServer supports the Winamp geren extension or only the original set:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ID3v1_Genres

This predefined list of genres is not very workable, think always best to write as text which is perfectly valid for ID3v24 as well.

I have not seen another incidence of this since I pointed it out.

The majority of the cases I have experienced have been lower numbers, typically under 50.

I will update this thread when I encounter any more.
05-06-2020, 10:22 (This post was last modified: 05-06-2020 10:22 by schliden.)
Simon/Paul,

I've just UL 2 tracks to your FTP server, both by 'Jimmy Smith' which, when tagged with numeric genre's do not display as the matching textual genre in minimserver.

Of the 2 tracks, 1 should be tagged 'Blues' but appears as [0] and the other 'Acid Jazz' but appears as [74]
05-06-2020, 11:16
Thanks for these files.

In ID3v2.3, a numeric genre must be in parentheses: (0) and (74). In ID3v2.4, a numeric genre must not be in parentheses: 0 and 74. These files have ID3v2.3 tags with numeric genres that are not in parentheses. How were the files created?
05-06-2020, 13:45
(05-06-2020 11:16)simoncn Wrote:  Thanks for these files.

In ID3v2.3, a numeric genre must be in parentheses: (0) and (74). In ID3v2.4, a numeric genre must not be in parentheses: 0 and 74. These files have ID3v2.3 tags with numeric genres that are not in parentheses. How were the files created?

These were both replacements of existing tracks.

Existing tracks were replaced in the file system. As long as the file names are identical, iTunes works with the new file in place of the old. Tags appear the same in iTunes apart from album artwork, which needs to be replaced, but in practise, although visible in iTunes many of the tag fields are not actually visible in the file tags to other programs i.e mp3tag.

I had to manually update most of the 2 samples I sent in mp3tag, however, I did not change the genre fields, which appeared as numeric values in mp3tag.

I have mp3tag prefs set to save as ID3v2.3.

So iTunes saves as ID3v2.4 with numeric genres, but when I update things using mp3tag, its saves as ID3v2.3
05-06-2020, 13:58
Thanks for this detailed explanation. It sounds like the problem is caused by a bug in Mp3tag. The original ID3v2.4 tag from iTunes is correct. When Mp3tag saves the ID3v2.4 tag as ID3v2.3, it should check the TCON frame (genre value) and rewrite it in the correct format for ID3v2.3. It appears that this is not happening.
05-06-2020, 19:25
A simple solution would be to change your Mp3tag preferences to save as ID3v2.4. This should solve the problem with numeric genres. Would it cause any other problems?
06-06-2020, 03:58
The reason I changed it to v2.3 was to prevent this numeric genre issue.

Typically when I see a numeric genre in mp3tag I change it to textual equivalent and when it saves as v2.3 it is not a problem.

I will experiment a little more with numeric genre and v2.4
06-06-2020, 09:52
Everything should work correclty as long as the file stays as ID3v2.4 and is not saved as ID3v2.3. If you have any problems, please let me know.
11-06-2020, 02:16
Hi Simon,

I did a rescan last night and another track is displaying a numeric genre.

This was a different work-flow, iTunes, then Kid3 to add the rating. I didn't use mp3tag as I wanted to eliminate that as the cause.

I've uploaded the file to your FTP Server:

01 - John Mayer - No Such Thing.mp3