Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tag formatting - cannot get to work
17-05-2020, 12:23 (This post was last modified: 17-05-2020 12:24 by Karen.)
Tag formatting - cannot get to work
Hi Simon,

am now trying to use tag formatting so working through the user guide and the example of displaying artist as "artist / orchestra / conductor". As I don't have conductor in my item tag list i chose composer instead, and also substituted orchestra for genre to ensure I could really see a difference on all artists rather than just the classical recordings.

After hitting OK I do a rescan, then reopen the Melco App and go into the Artist Index. None of them look any different.

Have attached screenshots. Am I missing something?

thanks again,
Karen.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2020, 15:20
RE: Tag formatting - cannot get to work
(17-05-2020 12:23)Karen Wrote:  Hi Simon,

am now trying to use tag formatting so working through the user guide and the example of displaying artist as "artist / orchestra / conductor". As I don't have conductor in my item tag list i chose composer instead, and also substituted orchestra for genre to ensure I could really see a difference on all artists rather than just the classical recordings.

After hitting OK I do a rescan, then reopen the Melco App and go into the Artist Index. None of them look any different.

Have attached screenshots. Am I missing something?

thanks again,
Karen.

The tagFormat property that you have specified affects the 'display' of the Artist information, usually associated with tracks.

Change to or add the following to see the effect in an 'index'

Artist.indexFormat={$artist$genre$composer^^^ / }
17-05-2020, 16:53
The "display" in displayFormat is the information that the control point shows you when you are viewing an album or the tracks in an album, or when you are playing a track.

What you actually want to do? Do you want to change what is in the index or what is in the "display"?
19-05-2020, 14:47
thanks Simon - sorry for delay.. I forgot to subscribe so hadn't realised you had responded.

I have some ideas about where I might go, but for the moment I am wanting to go through the examples and see if I can get used to how it works. But, when I start with the basic displayFormat it does not come through to my Melco App... I have the "Artist.displayFormat={$artist$genre$composer^^^ / }" so was expecting to see this detail at the track level as you say. But here is the screen shot of the tracks - they still have the artist and album name like before... I have done a number of rescans.

So I thought I might still be doing something wrong.
thanks, Karen.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

19-05-2020, 16:13 (This post was last modified: 19-05-2020 16:32 by simoncn.)
The artist information you are seeing in your control point might be coming from an AlbumArtist tag, not an Artist tag. Try adding

AlbumArtist.displayFormat={$artist$genre$composer^^^ / }

to the tagFormat property. You need a comma as a separator. After doing this, restart MinimServer (no need to do a rescan) and refresh the control point display.
19-05-2020, 16:35
Bingo! That was the problem. Now sorted.
Very many thanks indeed!

I'll now go onto the next bit of my training :-)

thanks again and best regards,
Karen
19-05-2020, 17:07
ok, so I've hit another problem quite quickly.

I'm using the #Audio fields in my App so that I can see the quality of the recordings. I tried to set up a display format to concatenate the #audioformat field to the #audiodata field but getting a red minim error "incorrect tag '#AudioFormat' for option 'displayformat' in property 'tagFormat'.".

I have this in IndexTags : #AudioData:Audio Data, #AudioFormat:Format

and this in tagFormat : #AudioFormat.displayformat={$#audioformat$#audiodata}

I'd like to use these concatenated #audio fields as an Index ideally, so my aim is actually to set up the indexFormat like this but I was trying to just get the display to work first...

thanks, Karen.
19-05-2020, 18:05 (This post was last modified: 19-05-2020 18:05 by simoncn.)
The displayFormat property is limited to specific tags that the UPnP protocol allows the server to send to the control point. These tags are Album, AlbumArtist, Artist, Comment, Composer, Genre, Group, Label and Title.
19-05-2020, 18:21
Ah - I assumed they were sent to the control point (I have them as an Index, and can also see them underneath the song/album info when playing a track)...
19-05-2020, 21:25 (This post was last modified: 19-05-2020 21:42 by simoncn.)
displayFormat is used to customize UPnP metadata that the server sends to the control point for albums and tracks. When values such as #AudioFormat are used as index values, they are not UPnP metadata but names of UPnP containers.

The UPnP metadata is what you see in the control point when you select anything that isn't an index value (an album, the list of tracks within an album or an individual track).

I understand that the distinction might seem strange but it is the way that UPnP works.