Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lifespan of Synology NAS
21-06-2020, 19:37
RE: Lifespan of Synology NAS
(21-06-2020 18:43)lyapounov Wrote:  As everyone mentioned, the big issue is the HD itself.

In an ideal world, you should always be in RAID mode (easy), and never buy the two (or more) HD from the same provider at the same time.

Here is a common disaster:
1) a HD starts having failure.
2) of course, you buy a new HD, and let the RAID populate the new HD (something around a few days, depends upon the size of the HD, but also upon your processor)
3) which means you put your remaining HD under huge stress, as it does a lot of read at low level continuously for a few days.
4) catastrophe: as both old HD came from same batch, the remaining old HD is also failing while transferring, meaning you loss your data

So: either buy from two different providers, like amazon or...; or alternatively, buy a new one every 2-3 years or so, and replace the oldest hD in the array; meaning you always have a new HD in the RAID array

How long does a HD last ?
A very interesting link, which gives stats on brand failure (Backblaze is a hoster - professional look at this website):
Backblaze Hard drive Stats [...]

Don't forget that the DSM won't update after a while :-)

Thanks. Interesting advice. Indeed, I chose the HGST drives because Backblaze found them most reliable, though I never thought of buying from different batches. Have you had your catastrophic scenario actually happen to you?

Yes, I'm using Synology Hybrid RAID. I've got backups on two different USB drives. I hope not to hit the jackpot on all three devices at once.

When DSM stops updating on the DS414, I'll replace the NAS. I think I'll start repopulating it now, one disk every 6 months.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2020, 12:02
Update. My 9 years old DS211j no longer talks to the rest of the network. The network port has failed.
22-06-2020, 14:01 (This post was last modified: 22-06-2020 14:04 by lyapounov.)
(21-06-2020 19:37)Mike48 Wrote:  Thanks. Interesting advice. Indeed, I chose the HGST drives because Backblaze found them most reliable, though I never thought of buying from different batches. Have you had your catastrophic scenario actually happen to you?

Not to me, but to my system engineer, some times ago...

As for me, I watch carefully the number of bad sectors. As soon as one happens, I change the HD.

As for the backup, I have now 5TB of music... so it is not an easy thing !
22-06-2020, 17:07
(22-06-2020 14:01)lyapounov Wrote:  As for me, I watch carefully the number of bad sectors. As soon as one happens, I change the HD.

That is exactly my plan -- to change out a disk as soon as it reports a bad sector or any SMART warning.

Regarding backups: Amazon offers inexpensive 8 Tb USB drives for <$200 (amazing). I use a USB drive and Syncovery software to mirror what's on my NAS. The initial mirror took a long time, but incremental mirrors are just a few minutes. I do one manually each time I add music to my library. It could be automated, but I've never bothered.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
23-06-2020, 16:08
(22-06-2020 17:07)Mike48 Wrote:  
(22-06-2020 14:01)lyapounov Wrote:  As for me, I watch carefully the number of bad sectors. As soon as one happens, I change the HD.

That is exactly my plan -- to change out a disk as soon as it reports a bad sector or any SMART warning.

Regarding backups: Amazon offers inexpensive 8 Tb USB drives for <$200 (amazing). I use a USB drive and Syncovery software to mirror what's on my NAS. The initial mirror took a long time, but incremental mirrors are just a few minutes. I do one manually each time I add music to my library. It could be automated, but I've never bothered.

I chose another solution for backup: I have another synology at another place, and they are all synced together.

I used to have the unlimited Amazon plan at $70 per year, which they unsurprisuingly stopped a few years ago...

I also had the 10T OVH (Hubic) for 5€ per month, which again they stopped...

So now, it is NAS to NAS. Fortunatly, we have 1Tb/s bandwidth in France !
23-06-2020, 16:27
(23-06-2020 16:08)lyapounov Wrote:  I chose another solution for backup: I have another synology at another place, and they are all synced together. [...]

So now, it is NAS to NAS. Fortunately, we have 1Tb/s bandwidth in France !

Yes, you are fortunate. I, on the other hand, live in a failed state (the USA) that seems to be regressing to the medieval period.

Offsite backup is best, but I don't know a way to do it that leaves time for the rest of life (these days, mostly reading newspapers and screaming).

Cheers!

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
23-06-2020, 16:35
(23-06-2020 16:27)Mike48 Wrote:  
(23-06-2020 16:08)lyapounov Wrote:  I chose another solution for backup: I have another synology at another place, and they are all synced together. [...]

So now, it is NAS to NAS. Fortunately, we have 1Tb/s bandwidth in France !

Yes, you are fortunate. I, on the other hand, live in a failed state (the USA) that seems to be regressing to the medieval period.

Offsite backup is best, but I don't know a way to do it that leaves time for the rest of life (these days, mostly reading newspapers and screaming).

Cheers!

I am just back from 3 years in San Francisco bay area. So I understand: 30Mb/s download, and 5Mb/s upload.

What I did is that I had the two synology on the same network for the first sync, which was fast. After this, well it does sync overnight everytime I have a change.

Though for some weird reasons, even between fiber optics,I have only 1.5MB/s; and I am not sure I understand why...
27-06-2020, 21:19 (This post was last modified: 27-06-2020 21:20 by Mike48.)
It looks like the 6-yr-old disks in my DS414 may finally be dying. I guess this thread was as timely as they come.

Today an extended SMART test of Disk 4 remained at 80% for at least 4 hours. I have pulled the disk and inserted a new Seagate IronWolf Pro. I've also ordered 3 more from 2 suppliers to start swapping out the rest.

The NAS data are backed up on a connected USB drive. My thanks to those who offered advice, which helped me prepare for this situation.

With the USB drive hooked up, transition to a new NAS, when necessary, should be a lot easier. (I've got my eye on the new DS420+.)

Again, thanks to all who offered advice and relayed experiences.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA
27-06-2020, 22:01
(27-06-2020 21:19)Mike48 Wrote:  It looks like the 6-yr-old disks in my DS414 may finally be dying. I guess this thread was as timely as they come.

Today an extended SMART test of Disk 4 remained at 80% for at least 4 hours. I have pulled the disk and inserted a new Seagate IronWolf Pro. I've also ordered 3 more from 2 suppliers to start swapping out the rest.

The NAS data are backed up on a connected USB drive. My thanks to those who offered advice, which helped me prepare for this situation.

With the USB drive hooked up, transition to a new NAS, when necessary, should be a lot easier. (I've got my eye on the new DS420+.)

Again, thanks to all who offered advice and relayed experiences.

When I first had a disc that showed errors in a SMART test, like you I replaced it and immediately got another spare in case of further failures. Reading around on the web at the time I noted that in a few cases others in this situation who had immediately installed a spare found that the new disc was dead on arrival. To guard against this possibility I therefore bought a SATA External hard drive enclosure and ran SMART tests on the new disc before installing it in the NAS. Given the likely criticality of your NAS data and the relatively low cost of a hard drive enclosure I'd strongly recommend you consider doing this.

System: ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ (running MinimServer) > Airport Extreme bridge > Optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge (controlled by Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP&Mosaic) > PS Audio DirectStream DAC > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus 40th Anniversary model
27-06-2020, 22:26
(27-06-2020 22:01)DavidL Wrote:  [...]Reading around [...] in a few cases others in this situation who had immediately installed a spare found that the new disc was dead on arrival. To guard against this possibility I therefore bought a SATA External hard drive enclosure and ran SMART tests on the new disc before installing it in the NAS. [...]I'd strongly recommend you consider doing this.

More great advice! I just ordered this one from Amazon. It's a docking station that allows connecting 2.5" and 3.5" drives easily without tools or disassembly.

I have been thinking of replacing the SSD in my 9-yr-old main computer soon, and this docking station will make it easier. It also will be great for erasing old drives removed from my NAS and computer. I've been thinking of something like this for a while, but I had no idea they have become so inexpensive.

Mike
Portland, Oregon, USA