Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Melco firmware 3.92 official release now available
22-05-2020, 17:58
RE: Melco firmware 3.92 official release now available
(20-05-2020 21:48)simoncn Wrote:  I am not aware of any differences in sound quality. The intention of the changes is to provide improved functionality and usability.

I wanted to leave two days before writing this post to make sure that what I started to hear as soon as I updated to 3.92 + Minimserver2, was not an illusion. I do not know if when I had installed on my Melco Minimserver 0.8 I did not have Twonky deactivated (I would assure that it was) or perhaps that since Minimserver2 is an “official” installation, it is much better integrated with the Melco software, but the truth is that it is that the SQ increase has been very, very significant. The digital edge that was left in my system and that I've been struggling with for a long time, has simply disappeared, I hear more details and without any hearing fatigue, my system never sounded better.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2020, 18:41
(22-05-2020 17:58)nonesup Wrote:  
(20-05-2020 21:48)simoncn Wrote:  I am not aware of any differences in sound quality. The intention of the changes is to provide improved functionality and usability.

I wanted to leave two days before writing this post to make sure that what I started to hear as soon as I updated to 3.92 + Minimserver2, was not an illusion. I do not know if when I had installed on my Melco Minimserver 0.8 I did not have Twonky deactivated (I would assure that it was) or perhaps that since Minimserver2 is an “official” installation, it is much better integrated with the Melco software, but the truth is that it is that the SQ increase has been very, very significant. The digital edge that was left in my system and that I've been struggling with for a long time, has simply disappeared, I hear more details and without any hearing fatigue, my system never sounded better.
Are you listening with "Dark Mode" on the Melco activated?
I went from a very old FW version to this latest one and I too have been amazed at the SQ improvement in my system.
Simon to his credit isn't claiming any SQ enhancements from 0.8 to 2.0 so the improvements must coming from the Melco FW. What FW version did you update from?
22-05-2020, 19:12
I updated from 3.91.
I have activated "dark mode", deactivated the led of the RJ45 port and deactivated file sharing
22-05-2020, 19:31
Deactivating Twonky makes much more difference than anything else. On 3.92, you can't have both MinimServer and Twonky running at the same time and this is the main reason why.

Next after this is enabling dark mode. This makes a noticeable difference but not as much as deactivating Twonky.

I haven't tried deactivating the LED or deactivating file sharing.
23-05-2020, 09:32
(22-05-2020 19:12)nonesup Wrote:  I updated from 3.91.
I have activated "dark mode", deactivated the led of the RJ45 port and deactivated file sharing

That’s interesting, have you actually heard a difference with file sharing disabled and running?
I haven’t tried this myself I’ll have to give it a go.
23-05-2020, 11:43
None of those tweaks has produced an improvement comparable to 3.92 + Minimserver2
07-06-2020, 11:50
I would like to share a rather amazing experience that I have had with Minimserver2 and Melco. In a previous post I commented that by installing firmware 3.92 + Minimserver2, I had gotten a huge leap in sound quality. This increase did not refer to better bass, or treble or image ...... but to the naturalness of the music, loss of digital edge. It was fantastic to listen to music without getting tired.
A few days ago, I saw in Melco that there was an update for Minimserver2, so I installed it. I also took the opportunity to add two new index tags (Label and Orchestra). When I listened to my system again something had happened, the naturalness was lost, everything sounded like when I had Minimserver0.8 installed. I removed the two indexed tags so that everything was as before the update, but it didn't work. So I spent several days longing for the lost SQ, until the following occurred to me; I went to the Melco screen and chose Twonky as the database software, after 7 or 8 seconds the screen indicated that Twonky was active. So I went back to choosing Minimserver2, when after a while the system indicated that Minimserver2 was active, I listened again: THE SQ HAD COME BACK. I understand that many may think that they are my imaginations ........ it is simply clear to me that this is not the case.
Simon, can you think of any reason for this?
07-06-2020, 12:05
I have had similar experiences myself. When I make an improvement to my system, the music sounds amazing and I hear things I have never heard before. After a few days, my ears/brain become accustomed to the new sound and it becomes the "new normal". By going back to the old sound and then forward to the new, my brain is reminded of the difference that I had heard previously.
07-06-2020, 12:27
What I would like to know is why reinstalling Minimserver produces that new sound. If there had been no change in my appreciation of sound quality, I might agree with you on that adaptation mechanism.
07-06-2020, 14:52 (This post was last modified: 07-06-2020 14:53 by simoncn.)
Changing from MinimServer to Twonky to MinimServer does not reinstall MinimServer. It just stops MinimServer and starts it again. Changing from MinimServer to Off and back to MinimServer does the same thing.

Perhaps I misread your earlier post. Did you listen to Twonky while it was active or did you go straight back to MinimServer without listening to Twonky?