Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
QNAP HS210
16-05-2020, 18:04
QNAP HS210
Hello,

I have a netgear readynas ultra 2 that works really welll.
Except that it’s a bit noisy. Hardly disturbing when listening to music, but with no music playing its slightly annoying.

After checking the net it seems this nas is not compatible with SSD discs.

I have the opportunity to get a QNAP hs 210 at a fair price.

Can I use this with minimserver, and can it handle transcoding flac to wav as well as my readynas ?

Other comments on QNAP hs 210 are welcome as well

Claus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2020, 19:37 (This post was last modified: 16-05-2020 19:43 by simoncn.)
RE: QNAP HS210
The HS210 is compatible with MinimServer. Its processor is not as powerful as your Ultra 2. If you are transcoding very high-resolution files, this might be an issue. Having said this, the benefits of having a quiet fanless NAS are very considerable. I have an HS251+ which I leave running 24x7 (about 1 metre from where I sit) and I am extremely pleased with it. All my other NASs are powered off when I am not using them.
17-05-2020, 06:48
Hi Simon

Thanks for your quick reply, as usual Smile

99% is streaming of ripped cd’s, converted to flac 2, with added replay gain tags, and ‘up scaled to double resolution’ before or during converting to wav to minimise loss of sound quality due to adding the replay gain (which I do to reduce the signal levels on most CD’s produced in the last decades).

Everything controlled with the settings in minimwatch, with help from you and other nice people here.

I don’t notice the readynas struggling with this, but would that be the case with the hs 210 ?

Further, I’m surprised that hs 210 re specs has only 16 MB flash ram.
Is that a problem ? And if yes, then what?

Claus
17-05-2020, 11:32
The flash RAM should not be an issue but the main RAM might be because it is only half what you have currently (512 MB vs 1 GB). This isn't critical unless your library is very large. The ARM processor is less powerful than the Intel Atom in your ReadyNAS and does not have floating-point capability, which might be an issue for transcoding at high resolution with replay gain.

As I don't have one of these myself, I will leave it to others to share their experiences with this or similar devices.
17-05-2020, 16:28
Thanks again.

Surely, I’d prefer a hs 251, but they are discontinued and hard to find, in DK at least.

Guess I’ll give it a go with a 210 plus 1 ssd at first. And continue looking for a 251 to upgrade with at some point.
Unless the 210 is so weak that it should be avoided.

Anyone who actually knows the 210 ?

Claus
17-05-2020, 16:49
I think this makes sense. The HS210 will probably be OK for your needs. If not, you might need to compromise slightly on your transcoding settings. Once you have had a silent NAS, you will never want the noisy kind again!
18-05-2020, 19:06
I note the preference often expressed here and on other forums for fanless, 'silent' NAS models for audio applications. Nothing ever comes for free and reviews of the 'silent' models indicate that they can get quite hot, so good ventilation is presumably a necessity.

In my experience, the greatest amount of mechanical noise from a NAS comes from the hard drive(s), so the only truly silent NASs are fitted with SSDs, which in turn means that true silence will require a trade-off in terms of cost and system capacity. The need for a fanless NAS will therefore often depend on siting considerations. Mounting the NAS on some kind of damping material (for example, felt ot silicone rubber pads) can help to reduce the transmission of mechanical noise.

I now have both my NASs in my listening room, but thy are at the opposite end of the (fairly long and narrow) room from the Hi-Fi and listening position. When the room is otherwise silent, I can hear the hard drives, but no other noise, from the NASs. When the Hi-Fi is playing, I cannot hear the NASs at all.

Incidentally, I have had a single drive QNAP TS-131 NAS for nearly two years, and it runs MinimServer pretty well, but, with an ARM processor and 512MB of RAM, struggles to run MinimServer and Linn's (resource hog) Kazoo Server simultaneously. My more recently purchased 2 bay TS-251+, with a Celeron processor and 4GB of RAM, is much more comfortable with, for example, MinimServer rescans, which it seems to do as quickly as my Windows 10 desktop with an SSD and 16GB of RAM.

David
18-05-2020, 20:55 (This post was last modified: 18-05-2020 20:55 by simoncn.)
Thanks, David. My HS-251+ is on 24x7 and is never more than slightly warm. It contains 2 x 2TB quiet 2.5 inch HDDs which are completely inaudible from my listening position 1 metre away. I do not spin the drives down when idle. It is quick (same CPU as in the TS-251+) but is limited to 2GB of RAM.