Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MergeFolderAlbums superfalse option?
26-04-2020, 10:46
RE: MergeFolderAlbums superfalse option?
From an archival standpoint FLAC is the only copy you need, as it's an open standard, represents the best combination of tagging and playback compatibility and because you can generate other formats from it as needed e.g. WAV, MP3 192/320k e.t.c. (given it's a lossless copy). I'm assuming at this point that you know they've been ripped accurately (verified by AccurateRip), and have CUE sheets where required (only really when the CD contains a data track or where the pregap does not follow the two second standard).
Obviously if you only have lossy copies of some albums and you don't own the CD then they'd need to be kept too (if there were some albums where you only had WAV I'd convert those to FLAC for the reasons mentioned above).

MinimServer (via MinimStreamer) as well as other music servers can transcode from one format to another on the fly, so you'd only need to index your FLAC files, configure the music server accordingly, and the control point would pick a compatible format that both server and renderer (PS3 in this case) supported.

For devices that aren't being served by UPnP and don't support FLAC (probably few and far between by now), or where you want to keep a copy of your library on a relatively constrained device (portable music players), then you would need another copy of your music, but unless you wanted the full library I'd be tempted to just convert as the need arises. I use a FiiO M5 for running but only load up a small selection of music files at a time, so it's trivial to convert from FLAC to MP3 as and when I want a refresh.

Having reorganised my own collection just over a year ago I know tagging can be an iterative process, so personally I would have created a master copy of your library containing one copy of each album (FLAC where available supplemented with other formats as needed), tagged that, then if you did need other copies just generate those from the FLAC files. With tagging all copies at once you're increasing not only your work load but also the risk of getting the tags out of sync (between formats), and you'll need to back up a lot more data as you go.

As always everyone is different, and there's no right or wrong way to do these things so feel free to forge your own path Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
27-04-2020, 13:18
Hi simoncn,

I've just been playing around with the above scenario and I think I've found an inconsistency.

I've converted a FLAC album that contains 2 CD's to MP3 and included it under the same contentDirectory so I now have two copies of that album under MinimServer.
If I add #Audioformat to indexTags, when I browse (using BubbleUPnP) and select #AudioFormat, choose FLAC then navigate to the album I don't get a track list view of the album (so I don't see disc subtitle headings), instead I get something that looks a bit more like an album list view. If I pick an album with only one CD it displays as expected.
If I don't go through #AudioFormat and navigate to the album it's displayed correctly (although it does intermix both the FLAC and MP3 files).

When I look at the log, the first thing that jumps out at me is for the first browse I see:
12:27:06.474 Thread-29: browsing children of container com.minimserver.Server$AlbumItemList@1e1d56f4
However for the second browse I see:
12:26:39.175 Thread-27: browsing children of container com.minimserver.Server$AlbumContainer@794c6bde

If I select the options for one of the songs when I've browsed via the #AudioFormat route it offers 'Show Album', which essentially takes me to the album view via the other browse hierarchy.

Sorry if this is known; I did look in the user guide under the 'Special index and item tags' but couldn't see any mention of anything like this behaviour.
27-04-2020, 20:00
Because these are both multidisc albums with no match filters, MinimServer merges all four CDs into one album.

When you select #AudioFormat > FLAC, you end up with half the album. MinimServer displays this as an album item list because it is not a complete album.
28-04-2020, 01:26
Simon and Simon,

I have been playing around with my setup today and may have found a situation similar to simbun's FLAC finding.

The extra tag solution simbun suggested is a bit of work, so I have been playing with the Match filters. This extra tag solution is actually what I was trying to simulate with my original tagFormat idea in creating a indexFormat, but I never got the syntax or perhaps usage right.

Adding the Match filter works fabulously, except for one detail. One of the reasons I liked the merge is because Minimserver displayed Subtitles within albums, and I wanted to keep that display. So, when I add the Match filter, the separate encodes separate just like I wanted them to. Yay!

Non-FLAC display issue:
However, the subtitle display was only functioning on the FLAC versions of the album. Further testing shows where I was first seeing the subtitle displays with ALL FOUR encodes, if I simply remove the FLAC version from the scan, the subtitles subdisplay disappears. Apparently, the FLAC tags need to be present for all the other tagging styles to trigger the subtitle display.

I actually tried putting just one FLAC file into my MP3 and WAV folders and something VERY VERY interesting happened. The subtitle display was triggered for ALL files. The subtitle name for disc two is Disc 2 instead of Live Rarities because I had no FLAC file present from disc two in those folders.

So for now, I am going to recode my folder name correction to include a Match filter for multidisc sets in all cases.

Only FLAC versions of the album will have the subtitle display in use, though. I may play around with that. Not all titles I would actually be interested in a subtitle display. Multiple disc concert performances have no need to identify the disc, for instance. Just go to the next song. So for the multidisc sets where a subtitle display would be nice (Backtracks or Bonus Content discs), I may just include a blank FLAC file for each disc in the set in the non-FLAC folders. The issue with that is FLAC will then appear in my Album name display along with MP3 or WAV because of the display format I set up. Ick.

Unless there are other suggestions or a fix to the subtitle display in the works, I am very happy. Not Perfection, but I am loving what I am seeing!

Remember I am running on a QNAP, if checking the code for the subtitle needs you to know that. And if I go with the Kick in the Butt simbun gave me, I might not even keep MP3 defined on my home Minimserver network and just use those files for devices with space considerations.

Thanks!

Chris

(27-04-2020 13:18)simbun Wrote:  Hi simoncn,

I've just been playing around with the above scenario and I think I've found an inconsistency.

I've converted a FLAC album that contains 2 CD's to MP3 and included it under the same contentDirectory so I now have two copies of that album under MinimServer.
If I add #Audioformat to indexTags, when I browse (using BubbleUPnP) and select #AudioFormat, choose FLAC then navigate to the album I don't get a track list view of the album (so I don't see disc subtitle headings), instead I get something that looks a bit more like an album list view. If I pick an album with only one CD it displays as expected.
If I don't go through #AudioFormat and navigate to the album it's displayed correctly (although it does intermix both the FLAC and MP3 files).

When I look at the log, the first thing that jumps out at me is for the first browse I see:
12:27:06.474 Thread-29: browsing children of container com.minimserver.Server$AlbumItemList@1e1d56f4
However for the second browse I see:
12:26:39.175 Thread-27: browsing children of container com.minimserver.Server$AlbumContainer@794c6bde

If I select the options for one of the songs when I've browsed via the #AudioFormat route it offers 'Show Album', which essentially takes me to the album view via the other browse hierarchy.

Sorry if this is known; I did look in the user guide under the 'Special index and item tags' but couldn't see any mention of anything like this behaviour.
28-04-2020, 07:25 (This post was last modified: 28-04-2020 07:26 by simoncn.)
It sounds like you only have DISCSUBTITLE tags in your FLAC files. Now that you have added match filters, these FLAC tags will not affect non-FLAC files. If you want disc subtitles in your non-FLAC albums, you need to add DISCSUBTITLE tags to these files. I am not sure from your post whether or not you want to have disc subtitles in your non-FLAC albums but MinimServer gives you the choice.

Adding a DISCSUBTITLE tag to a single file applies this tag to the whole disc containing the file.
28-04-2020, 08:22
Yes, I have discsubtitle on all my non flac files that apply. That is why when I put just one FLAC file in the folder, all of the others fall into line and get displayed with their group. But if the one flac file is for the first disc, the first disc gets the correct name but the second disc gets a simple display of Disc 2. I am using Jaikoz to tag my files and I am using Disc Subtitle not Subtitle for all files it applies to. Only the FLAC triggers the subtitle display.

I will run more tests soon. I have redone all my folder names up to now (a-f) and am copying the changes to my QNAP.

Thanks!

Chris

(28-04-2020 07:25)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like you only have DISCSUBTITLE tags in your FLAC files. Now that you have added match filters, these FLAC tags will not affect non-FLAC files. If you want disc subtitles in your non-FLAC albums, you need to add DISCSUBTITLE tags to these files. I am not sure from your post whether or not you want to have disc subtitles in your non-FLAC albums but MinimServer gives you the choice.

Adding a DISCSUBTITLE tag to a single file applies this tag to the whole disc containing the file.
28-04-2020, 08:33
It sounds like the "disc subtitle" tags written by Jaikoz to your non-FLAC files are not named DISCSUBTITLE in the file. MinimServer expects this name but can handle other names by using the aliasTags property.

Please upload one of your non-FLAC files with a disc subtitle to my FTP server so that I can check what it contains. I will send you a PM with the server details.
28-04-2020, 17:37
(28-04-2020 01:26)Chrobar13 Wrote:  The extra tag solution simbun suggested is a bit of work

It's simple really, just format a column with:
Code:
$crc32($iif($strcmp(%codec%,'MP3'),%album%MP3%bitrate%,%album%%codec%))

That is if you're using foobar2000 :-)
Microsoft owe foobar a few quid as it's one of the only reasons I still have a Windows install around.
29-04-2020, 16:56
(28-04-2020 08:33)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like the "disc subtitle" tags written by Jaikoz to your non-FLAC files are not named DISCSUBTITLE in the file. MinimServer expects this name but can handle other names by using the aliasTags property.

Please upload one of your non-FLAC files with a disc subtitle to my FTP server so that I can check what it contains. I will send you a PM with the server details.

Thank you for uploading the file. It uses an ID3v2.3 tag containing a TSST frame for the disc subtitle. The TSST frame is not valid in ID3v2.3, only in ID3v2.4. If you can convert this file to ID3v2.4, MinimServer will be able to read the DISCSUBTITLE value.
29-04-2020, 17:57
Awesome, I will figure out if Jaikoz can do that, it probably can.

Thank you again for being so awesome, and the other Simon, too, simbun.

I just actually noticed something pretty awesome about the subtitles. It does not work on my PS3, where I do most of my verifying, but when I browse an Album with Subtitle on my Denon, the subtitles actually break the track list at the separation of discs. This functionality did not show on my PS3, the subtitles simply all showed at the top of the track list and I just thought it was an easy way to access just the one disc. Now subtitles are even better!

Minimserver just keeps getting more and more awesome!

I am tagging a new set of music right now, will check into the versioning. I believe I remember seeing options on that somewhere in Jaikoz.

Thanks for everything!

Chris

(29-04-2020 16:56)simoncn Wrote:  
(28-04-2020 08:33)simoncn Wrote:  It sounds like the "disc subtitle" tags written by Jaikoz to your non-FLAC files are not named DISCSUBTITLE in the file. MinimServer expects this name but can handle other names by using the aliasTags property.

Thank you for uploading the file. It uses an ID3v2.3 tag containing a TSST frame for the disc subtitle. The TSST frame is not valid in ID3v2.3, only in ID3v2.4. If you can convert this file to ID3v2.4, MinimServer will be able to read the DISCSUBTITLE value.