Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The WAF
13-04-2013, 20:25 (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 20:32 by Mr.Bear.)
The WAF
Hi Simon,

I just installed MinimServer and looking forward to learning how to use it for our unique needs. Until I am up to speed with your product, I am hoping you might think about one issue I have yet to figure out with Twonky and it has been an issue for me since my first DS… the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) with my library of music. She likes things very simple and she is overwhelmed with the size of the library; I am already at about 12,000+ songs and I expect the library to grow quickly which is only going to make things worse.

My wife does not want to deal with playlists, favorites, whatever; she just wants to open Kinksy and ONLY see “her” music… but her music is already combined into the library of 12,000+ songs. However “I” want to be able to look at ALL music if I so choose (including hers). And with (23) DS’s installed on our network and countless control point devices, playlists become a bit more challenging.

Everything is being stored on a rather beefy QNAP NAS with 24TB of storage (12 usable as it is configured as RAID-10) even though there is lots of storage, I don’t want to duplicate songs with a special bucket just for her songs.

I am wondering if your product on it’s own may provide a solution or your product in conjunction with Twonky.

PS - when I said she just wants to open Kinksy and only see her music, that was not 100% correct in that she may be open to other CP software. It is just that Kinksy is the only things she has ever used. She uses Kinksy on her Mac, her iPhone and her iPad. So I just naturally said "Kinsky"... I've tried several other CP software products and while some have cool features / look & feel, I tend to like Kinsky the best.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 21:59 (This post was last modified: 13-04-2013 21:59 by simoncn.)
RE: The WAF
(13-04-2013 20:25)Mr.Bear Wrote:  Hi Simon,

I just installed MinimServer and looking forward to learning how to use it for our unique needs. Until I am up to speed with your product, I am hoping you might think about one issue I have yet to figure out with Twonky and it has been an issue for me since my first DS… the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) with my library of music. She likes things very simple and she is overwhelmed with the size of the library; I am already at about 12,000+ songs and I expect the library to grow quickly which is only going to make things worse.

My wife does not want to deal with playlists, favorites, whatever; she just wants to open Kinksy and ONLY see “her” music… but her music is already combined into the library of 12,000+ songs. However “I” want to be able to look at ALL music if I so choose (including hers). And with (23) DS’s installed on our network and countless control point devices, playlists become a bit more challenging.

Everything is being stored on a rather beefy QNAP NAS with 24TB of storage (12 usable as it is configured as RAID-10) even though there is lots of storage, I don’t want to duplicate songs with a special bucket just for her songs.

I am wondering if your product on it’s own may provide a solution or your product in conjunction with Twonky.

PS - when I said she just wants to open Kinksy and only see her music, that was not 100% correct in that she may be open to other CP software. It is just that Kinksy is the only things she has ever used. She uses Kinksy on her Mac, her iPhone and her iPad. So I just naturally said "Kinsky"... I've tried several other CP software products and while some have cool features / look & feel, I tend to like Kinsky the best.

I use Kinsky most of the time as well. It works well with MinimServer, runs on most platforms, and is straightforward and reliable.

I can suggest two options for handling your WAF requirement:

1) A special tag for your wife's music. You would need to use a tagging program to apply this tag to all her music. When your wife starts Kinsky, she would get a top-level menu containing all available music. One of the selections on this menu would take her to her own music. After that, she would see only her music and she could browse it and play it without seeing anything else.

2) A separate MinimServer instance and content directory for your wife's music. You would need to structure your music library into a top-level directory (folder) for your wife's music and a top-level directory for all other music. The MinimServer instance "Mr.Bear's Music" would be set up to use both content directories, and the MinimServer instance "Mrs.Bear's Music" would be set up to use just your wife's content directory.

Nerither of these options would require songs to be duplicated. Option 2) is probably slightly better because your wife could have different configuration options for how songs are indexed and sorted, etc.

A slight problem with option 2) is that the current MinimServer installation package for QNAP doesn't support doing this. MinimServer can do it, but the installation package isn't set up for it. This enhancement is on my "to do" list, and I should be able to implement it fairly quickly if this is the approach you decide you would like to use.

Option 1) is fully supported by MinimServer, and you could use it now with the current release.

As an interim step towards option 2) until it's fully supported, you could run Twonky on the QNAP for your wife to use (with her content directory), and you could run MinimServer on the QNAP to use yourself (with both content directories). It won't cause any problems to run both Twonky and MinimServer on the same QNAP NAS.

I will be interested to hear your thoughts on these options.
27-04-2013, 09:10
I'd go with tagging Mr's Bears music separately Smile
27-04-2013, 10:40 (This post was last modified: 27-04-2013 10:42 by bbrip.)
Thats what I do. With multitag supported for the Genre tag I just add a Genre tag called "WifesName's Albums".

Lady then just has to open songbook lite, browse by genre, tab on her name and gets a list of all her favourite albums. She finds this quite easy to operate Wink
27-04-2013, 13:34
Thanks everyone. I have not had a chance to play with MinimServer much yet, but from what I've seen so far it sure is a much better product than Twonky. I look forward to making Mrs. Bear happy with these suggestions provided :-)

Thank you for the work done developing!!
27-04-2013, 13:52
(27-04-2013 10:40)bbrip Wrote:  Thats what I do. With multitag supported for the Genre tag I just add a Genre tag called "WifesName's Albums".

Lady then just has to open songbook lite, browse by genre, tab on her name and gets a list of all her favourite albums. She finds this quite easy to operate Wink

This seems like a good solution.