Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tutorial] How to generate 'Recently added' tags and playlists
28-04-2020, 20:18 (This post was last modified: 29-04-2020 12:03 by Alandbush.)
Music [Tutorial] How to generate 'Recently added' tags and playlists
RAP (Recently Added Program) for Windows

A program to generate audio file creation date tag values compatible for use in the tag update file as specified in the MinimServer tagUpdate property, together with ‘Recently added’ tag values and/or play lists

Why?
A recurring feature request for MinimServer has been the introduction of a ‘Recently added’ option.
Whilst this is on the roadmap for MinimServer 2, a short term salve may be this described solution.

Solution
A program (Python based) that reads audio tracks to extract the ‘album’ tag and file creation date. Subsequently, to transform this data into a format compatible with the tag update file as specified in the MinimServer tagUpdate property. This enables the tags to be used within various other MinimServer properties, such as ‘indexTags’.

Additionally, period date ranges can be specified which are then compared with the file creation date. For those files that are within the date ranges, either or both of the following can be created:
  • Album period tag (similar use as the album creation date tag)
  • Play list file (for each date range)
Configuration files are used to determine the following:
  • Music directory path
  • Audio file formats to be read
  • Period details specifying date ranges
  • Tag update file directory path and name
  • Playlist directory path

Issues (possible)
This program has been a test exercise and as such, I suspect, does not exhibit standard Python code base structuring. Nor use of classes etc. etc. Blush
Undoubtedly, it is open to much improvement from more experienced developers. If so, I would appreciate a copy of the source to see how it should be done correctly. Wink

It has been tested as follows:
  • Windows 7 32 bit
  • Window 10 pro 64 bit
  • Internal drives
  • Synology NAS (nb – if password protected, external folders must first be accessed manually before executing the code)
  • Music directory containing 350 albums, 4000+ tracks
  • Audio formats wav, flac, aiff, dsf, mp3
  • MinimServer 0.8.x

Disclaimer
Needless to say, I accept no responsibility for any harm that may befall your hardware etc. etc. should you wish to try this software. Angel

The source is readily available and open to scrutiny.
Directories and files are scanned only. Audio files are not amended.

Still interested?
A small (7.5mb) zipped distribution file is available via the link at the bottom of this post. It contains several folders. They consist of a compiled version of the Python program, a user guide, example configuration files and an executable batch file.
There are no other requirements.

Once unzipped, to any folder, and after amending the configuration files as appropriate, the program can be run.

Exclamation I know, I know but could you take a little time to read the user guide. I hate writing documentation and I hope it has not been time wasted. Confused

Idea Sorry, beginning to feel like your Mother, but could I suggest you initially start with a few folders to get a feel for what the program produces and potentially how long it takes to scan them.
I know some of you have very large music collections. Big Grin
===================
===================
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-05-2020, 11:01
RE: [Tutorial] How to generate 'Recently added' tags and playlists
At the risk of being tedious, I should point out that the feature I think that you want to use is contained in the Lumin app, which creates its own database. I use it with Minim all the time. Tedious perhaps because you have to remember to update it when you add a CD, but it has advantages not least speed.

Donuk empty downtown York
03-05-2020, 13:54
Ouch! but you are not alone in your assessment, judging by the lack of interest.

Clearly, there is more than a hint of 're-inventing the wheel' with this program. It does nothing unique.
Undoubtedly, there are many control points, music servers, music renderers and audio file taggers that do similar features better.
Dedicated music enthusiasts will have tagged their audio files accordingly.

But, for the remaining small percentage of music listeners who do not have access to the relevant software/app, nor the inclination to tag their music library retrospectively, this program might have been useful.
At least, as a proof of concept that the feature is of benefit and without the risk of altering audio files.

Perhaps the opening post did not clearly describe the features provided. So, I'll attempt to remove the wheat from the chaff.

1) the default feature is to generate a Creation Date tag for each audio file in a Music library, with a value obtained from the audio files' creation date. This is a 'virtual' tag only recognised by MinimServer and any control point app that communicates with MinimServer.

2) optionally, a date range feature can be enabled. This date range can be absolute or dynamic and there can be multiple ranges. Again, this uses each audio files' creation date and compares it against the date range(s). Any match will generate a Period Detail tag with a label value. This is also a 'virtual' tag.
If this tag was used as an Index tag you could have a selection list similar to the following:-

Code:
Top Index         Period Detail Index         Album List
---------         -------------------         ----------
Period Detail     Last week
                  Last month
                  01/01/2020 to 30/03/2020
                  Last 6 months

3) optionally, similar to 2) except that a playlist(s) is/are created to contain details of each matched audio file. The playlist is a regular .m3u playlist.
03-05-2020, 18:39
Hi Alan
I was not intending to belittle your efforts at all - I don't fully understand them if I am honest.
I just pointed a way for less capable folk to achieve something similar.....

Donuk
03-05-2020, 20:39
No offence taken, more a sobering realisation that it appears to be a solution looking for an issue. Sad