Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advantages of Minimserver vs. Synology Mediaserver?
13-04-2013, 10:37
Advantages of Minimserver vs. Synology Mediaserver?
Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to the world of network streaming, however I have ripped all my 800 odd CDs using EAC into FLAC and MP3.
I've put all the musi con my Synology DS-211+ using a folder structure where all FLAC and all MP3 are in separate directory structures.
I currently use my Oppo BDP-105 aus streming client and the Synology Mediaserver as the server where Synology Audiostation serves as connecting point. In order to select the music I use DS-Audio on my iPad and iPhone.
This setup unfortuantely does not do gapless music and I am wondering how to get there other than directly choosing the music on the Oppo?

My other question would be:
What would be the advantages to use Minimserver?

Regarding the id3-tagging, I do that using foobar2000 on my Win7 PC and then upload the file and folder structure to the NAS.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joerg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2013, 11:18
RE: Advantages of Minimserver vs. Synology Mediaserver?
(13-04-2013 10:37)Siriuslux Wrote:  Hi everybody,

I am new to this forum and relatively new to the world of network streaming, however I have ripped all my 800 odd CDs using EAC into FLAC and MP3.
I've put all the musi con my Synology DS-211+ using a folder structure where all FLAC and all MP3 are in separate directory structures.
I currently use my Oppo BDP-105 aus streming client and the Synology Mediaserver as the server where Synology Audiostation serves as connecting point. In order to select the music I use DS-Audio on my iPad and iPhone.
This setup unfortuantely does not do gapless music and I am wondering how to get there other than directly choosing the music on the Oppo?

My other question would be:
What would be the advantages to use Minimserver?

Regarding the id3-tagging, I do that using foobar2000 on my Win7 PC and then upload the file and folder structure to the NAS.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Joerg

In your setup, the main advantage of MinimServer would be a more flexible approach to browsing the tags in your music library. It wouldn't help you with gapless playback.

I haven't used the Synology media server because I don't have a Synology. Perhaps some people who have used the Synology media server as well as MinimServer could say a bit more about the differences.
13-04-2013, 11:36
Hi Jörg,

the Synology Media Server isn't bad at all. To make it short, most of the features of the Synology Media Server are available in MinimServer also, but MinimServer offers many more additional features and configuration options (please refer to the excellent user guide for more information).
I consider 'intelligent browsing' as a key feature of MinimServer. This means dynamic browsing trees which allow for narrowing down your selection in many different ways. As opposed to this, the Synology Media Server (as most of the other media servers) offers just fixed browsing trees, which however are configurable.
An advantage of the Synology Media Server would be that you can specify device-specific profiles and you also can deny access for specific devices, if this is relevant to you.

As for gapeless playback, I think that this depends strongly on the control point and I don't think that this is supported by the Synology Audio Station. I recommend to try out other control points.
13-04-2013, 12:04
Hi Simon,
Hi winxi,

Thanks for your quick and easy to understand answers to my questions.
Now I understand the advantages and will try the Minimserver.

I will still need to try different control points (on the iPad), however did not figure out which way to go there. I just figure that Kinsky doesn't work well because it seems to forget everything as soon as my screen on the iPad goes into lock mode and it does not show any cover art from my FLAC files.
So any hint about a better control point compared to DS Audio (which works reasonably well) is more than welcome.

Again thanks,

Jörg
13-04-2013, 15:16
(13-04-2013 12:04)Siriuslux Wrote:  I will still need to try different control points (on the iPad), however did not figure out which way to go there. I just figure that Kinsky doesn't work well because it seems to forget everything as soon as my screen on the iPad goes into lock mode and it does not show any cover art from my FLAC files.
So any hint about a better control point compared to DS Audio (which works reasonably well) is more than welcome.

I guess that with MinimServer the cover arts of your FLAC files will show up.
Concerning your problem with Kinsky, you can try BubbleUPnP Server which is able to add the OpenHome extension to your Oppo renderer. This means that BubbleUPnP Server takes control of the playlist and thus the control point doesn't have to run all the time.
Does gapless playback work when you control the Oppo with Kinsky?
13-04-2013, 15:39
Hello Jörg,

you must ask OPPO about gapless. (I have a BDP-103 and a Synology DS110j). It is possible to use CUE-sheets for gapless-streaming, with the current Beta-Firmware. Problem is, the OPPO can "see" them in network shares only. Afaik, there is no media server at the moment that supports CUE-sheets.

In short, the OPPO still can not replace a streamer especially when you look for gapless.

Gruss,
Mario
14-04-2013, 20:42
Hello everybody,

thanks for your thoughts and advice.

I understan what I have to do now, i.e. install Minimserver. Therefore I understand I need to install a Java Runtime Environment on my DS-211+.
When I follow up the links, I end up with 3 or 4 differents versions of Java for the ARM processor and I cannot figure out which one to download.
But maybe I am just too tired to figure and need some sleep...

Thanks in advance,

Joerg
14-04-2013, 21:56
(14-04-2013 20:42)Siriuslux Wrote:  I understan what I have to do now, i.e. install Minimserver. Therefore I understand I need to install a Java Runtime Environment on my DS-211+.
When I follow up the links, I end up with 3 or 4 differents versions of Java for the ARM processor and I cannot figure out which one to download.
But maybe I am just too tired to figure and need some sleep...

For the Java installation on the DS211+, you have to download the 'ARMv5 Linux - Headless EABI, SoftFP ABI, Little Endian' version from this link: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/e...index.html and put it in the public folder of your NAS. You can choose either Java 6 or 7. Note that you have to use the corresponding Java package from patters (either the Java 6 or Java 7 package).
15-04-2013, 08:28
You can/should use a "throw-away" email address for registering on Oracle http://www.trash-mail.com/index.php (I guess you are German speaking?)
21-04-2013, 10:05
Thanks very much everybody.
After some thinking I managed to install:
- Java,
- Minimserver,
- BubbleServer

Playing music from the Minimserver works just fine using AudioStation as a control point and sending to the Oppo.
I still need to check how it works with Kinsky and using lists.