Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MinimServer ignores the ID3v1 tag
10-04-2020, 10:34
MinimServer ignores the ID3v1 tag
Hi,

I've seen in a couple of forum threads the comment that "MinimServer ignores the ID3v1 tag", although I can't find anything about this in the documentation.

I have, what appears to be many 1000's of mp3's that are being categorised as [unknown].

After further investigation, although these files do contain metadata, it appears that those that are ID3v1 format only may/are are not being indexed by minimserver.

If this, is fact the case, rather than convert them to a newer tag format, is it possible to force minimserver to index ID3v1 tags ?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2020, 11:38
RE: MinimServer ignores the ID3v1 tag
In this section, for the .mp3 file extension it says:

MPEG-1, MPEG-2 or MPEG-2.5 files (Layers I, II and III), with ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags

It is not possible to force MinimServer to read ID3v1 tags. The only solution is to convert your files.
10-04-2020, 11:45
Ouch.

Thanks

FYIW, can you elaborate on why minimserver does not read ID3v1 ?
10-04-2020, 12:39
ID3v1 is obsolete and provides extremely limited tagging capabilities.
11-04-2020, 03:57 (This post was last modified: 11-04-2020 03:58 by schliden.)
Thanks, and yes I understand that 3v1 is limited, its just a shame that it can't be read and used where its the only meta-data available.

What about APEv2 ? I'm not really sure what it is, but some of my files appear to have a combination of ID3v1 and APEv2 ?

Finally, some of my music files appear to have acceptable ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags but are also appearing in [unknown].

The common thread with these appears to be that they contain meta-data with accent characters..

for example, Michael Bublé

Do these accent characters preclude minimserver from indexing the file ?

Thanks
11-04-2020, 08:50
All valid ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags should be read by MinimServer. There should be no issues with accented characters if the character set information in the tag is correct.

If MinimServer did not find an ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tag in the file, the file will appear under [untagged] in the top-level menu as well as appearing under [unknown] in other menus such as Artist.

If MinimServer found an ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tag but had a problem reading it, there will be a message in the MinimServer log describing the problem. For the files with ID3v2.2, ID3v2.3 or ID3v2.4 tags that were not read and appear under [unknown], what messages do you see in the log?

MinimServer does not read APEv2 tags.
12-04-2020, 09:08
I don't see anything in the logs. (info level)

After removing the accent characters in the tags, the files were successfully indexed.
12-04-2020, 10:22
If you still have any of the files that was causing a problem, I would like to see the file so that I can investigate. I have an FTP server where you can upload the file. Would this be possible?
12-04-2020, 12:11
Unfortunately, I've fixed them all. I will see if I can pull one from a backup..
12-04-2020, 12:33
Thanks, I would appreciate this. This should help other users who have the same issue. I will PM you instructions for uploading to my FTP server.